It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fan Content
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:54 pm 

KathAveara wrote:
Course, another solution is to stop the lists opening every time someone speaks/links in.

true!!

about the other solutions mentioned: IMHO its not a good idea to hide too much by default. this might be a brilliant thing for most of us, but we're all used to the functions and menues of the KI. Most new players i run into have a lot of difficulties using them. it takes a while to tell them how to write PMs or add a buddy. So i don't want to think about what happens, if they can't see the names by default. A complete redesign with a more intuitive menu-structure might help though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
Next, you can start typing the name of the person you want to whisper to, and if you type "ho" and "Hoikas" is the only person among the room and your buddies list whose name starts with "ho", bam, it suggests that as an autocomplete. If there are several matches, you might be presented with a dropdown list, or pressing the "tab" key might spin you through the various options.

We actually do name autocompletion when you press TAB in the H'uru client. We're all so very used to IRC that this was one of those "do... or die" features. Many thanks to boq who did the gruntwork 8)

One of the problems with updating the KI is that iteration is painful at best. Currently, we are pretty much shackled to 3ds Max 7 because there are still some issues with the H'uru max plugin. We can't make any useful GUIs in Python either, so there goes quick prototyping. :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 am 

I posted a message elsewhere, that had some relevance to "D'ni Temple: Area Two" and some of Karkadann's projects which likewise make use of optical illusions.

But the most relevant part of that conversation I think ought to be reposted here, as it is about my progress on Sevkor and the project's current state:

I will point out that I have really made an effort on Sevkor - not just the added detailing like cracks, etc, but the small enclosure at the end, on the other side of the rope bridge, which contains an aged wooden crate filled with blank books, and a book set in front of the crate on the removed crate top, which I would like to see turned into a concise journal, briefly outlining the backstory of Sevkor IC, from an anonymous explorer's observations. There are also some ink jars along the side of the crate, so whoever requested all those additional details pretty much got what they were hoping for. I've cleaned up most of the collision mesh, still some minor flaws in it but almost totally fixed at this point.

Early next week I expect to post a bunch of new video preview material online, related to Sevkor, and late next week I will be packing all the files and sending them to Karkadann. I am trying to figure out the best way to take a complex Blender scene and somehow port it all to a form that you can open in 3ds max. I would love it if there were some way for Karkadann to open it as is, more or less, without having to reapply each of 250+ texture images one at a time to the corresponding surfaces. But I fear there may be no way to avoid that process. This is a big age, it is currently approx. 100,000 polys including the separate collision model, and the texture maps are about 90-95 MB total, though I do also have an alternate version working on my PC, which I am referring to as Sevkor HD - that one has over 250 MB in texture assets, same textures but larger, the ones in the 95 MB version were all either resized to half or one fourth the pixel resolution of the original texture maps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:11 am 

Sounds like cool stuff! :D

And thanks for taking the time to add the extra details like blank books and a possible journal. I think I was among the ones who asked for extra stuff like that, so color me pleased! :mrgreen:

Your comment on the collision mesh makes me wonder what cool holes skydivers will be able to find. The age hasn't even been released and I'm already picturing how people will take advantage of glitches. 0_0 Not sure what that says about me... But anywho I can't wait to see the new video previews!

And as always, kudos upon kudos for all your hard work and for taking everyone's input throughout the whole project! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Matt, I'm thrilled you're still working on Sevkor. You've put soooooo much time and effort into it over these past 18 months it's darn near superhuman. Can't wait to see your new images/videos. And I'll be thrilled to actually explore the age myself. You made this compatible with the Occulus Rift, right? :lol: Just kidding! Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was just thinking of something and I have been guilty of it to. When fan ages do come to MOULa weather they be small or big we need to be appreciative to those who make it in. What I saying is we shouldn't run threw the content once it comes instead appreciate the creator work.

just a thought :lol: :D :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 pm 

Not to give anything away, but:

The new GoMe pub/tavern is designed to have minor variations for each season, like changing menus, a board for adding explorer posters, plus we're working on holiday decorations, too.

We also hope it will be updatable with a time-lapse "story" leading to other Ages/Projects like the GoMe outpost on...

[Connection lost: KI-message ends here]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:38 am 

Nev'yn wrote:

The new GoMe pub/tavern is designed to have minor variations for each season, like changing menus, a board for adding explorer posters, plus we're working on holiday decorations, too.

We also hope it will be updatable with a time-lapse "story" leading to other Ages/Projects like the GoMe outpost on...

Curiosity! I don't think I've heard about this before. Anyone know anywhere to find more info?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:55 am 

Jmp12 wrote:
Nev'yn wrote:

Curiosity! I don't think I've heard about this before. Anyone know anywhere to find more info?

You could try the Guild of Writers forum http://forum.guildofwriters.org/ They deal a lot with projects like this. But I go there and I haven't heard about this either. Maybe the GoME forums would be a better place to look.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Afalstein wrote:
Jmp12 wrote:
Nev'yn wrote:

You could try the Guild of Writers forum http://forum.guildofwriters.org/ They deal a lot with projects like this. But I go there and I haven't heard about this either. Maybe the GoME forums would be a better place to look.

Doobes started a new thread:
http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6350&p=66502&hilit=pub#p66496

and linked to some wonderful screen shots
http://s232.photobucket.com/user/DoobesURU/library/The%20NEW%20GoMe%20Guild%20Pub?sort=3&page=1

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

This looks fantastic! Is there any possibility of this someday (soon) being incorporated into MOULa, or is this strictly for the shards?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:06 pm 

That looks AMAZING! Great job on the GoME meeting area, it looks beautiful!

I am very excited about all the phenomenal work other fans are doing here!

[EDIT]

Oh, and as promised, I recently updated Mystfanart.net - not all that much has been changed but a few minor details have been updated, and the Sevkor video stream now plays about 24 minutes of material.

Three parts, the early-2013 video content that's also seen on Youtube, the late-2013 video that was on the website before, and some relatively recent video content I have screen captured in between fixes/tweaks, during the past few months.

(Some of the video material in the final third, dates back to as early as January or February 2014.)
It's that last third you'll really want to pay attention to... it shows every area of the age in current or at least near-current form, and it contains some bits of Jmp12's music and sfx design that haven't been used in video of Sevkor up to this point. The music is layered onto the video in roughly the same way it should be in the finished age, with the main shaft areas using the first track, the DRC outpost using the second, and the libraries using the third.

I am still actively working on - well, intermittently anyway - some of the remaining issues in the age - As of April, there are still a handful of UV-mapping glitches, there are several areas that ought to be lit a bit brighter, and a couple of the staircases are finicky due to the collision mesh, easy to go down but a bit trickier to climb up. I've managed at this time to come up with fixes for all of those issues but until I perform the next compile (tomorrow evening?) I won't be 100% sure that the changes worked.

If they all look good, the next step will be figuring out how to port all the assets into 3ds max as painlessly as possible so that Karkadann can quickly open them and start working with them, finish the scripting that I can't do, and - at some point - submit the age for testing on Minkata, and later for inclusion in MOULa... as has been stated elsewhere, Cyan wants the age output through 3ds max.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:03 pm 

Any updates on Sevcor?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:13 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
Any updates on Sevcor?

I've wondered this as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 pm 

Some technical and interpersonal obstacles have emerged that have slowed things down, making it a challenge to continue work on Sevkor at any reasonable pace.

Karkadann has hoped I would have a completed or near-completed version in time for Mysterium but at this point I doubt that'll happen. Still, even if it's a long shot, I'm willing to try to pull it off.

Karkadann may have gotten the impression that I've dropped out of the fanbase lately, that I've got so much else I have to do that I cannot continue work on Sevkor. I am sorry if our messages gave that impression, but I'd like to clarify things. Yes, it's been slow going. Yes, there have been some obstacles. True, I have some family members who don't want me to be focusing on fan art because it's 'a waste of my time and talent'. But this is also true... I haven't given up on Sevkor. I am not planning to leave the Myst fanbase. I will find a way to make this all work out. The only question is, can I get Sevkor ready soon enough that it doesn't get displaced by other options, and can I manage my time well enough to do so while also adequately meeting my other life goals?

I'm working on it, as much as I can spare the time to. So close and yet so much still to do!

As for Karkadann's sig, I'd say, yes there's the optimist, the pessimist, the realist... and then there's the engineer who says the glass should be redesigned at half the size to waste less material, the artist who wants decorations printed on the glass, etc. People who aren't just observing the glass, the situation, but are actively thinking of ways to make it better. :)

Call it constructive realism. The situation is not all good and not all bad, so how do we, with the limited resources we have, most effectively increase the amount of good and reduce the amount of bad? That is the challenge.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 71  Next