It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fan Content
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps this will answer some questions and put things into perspective a bit more.

http://intangible.grey-skies.net/whats-taking-so-long/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:35 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Nice article, Tweek :D

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Excellent article, Tweek. Thanks for enlightening us on the age-building process.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Tweek - for explaining the process, and for putting so much effort into making these beautiful ages.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is absolutely, incredibly awesome and nice, Tweek ... Wow! ... :P

It is so lovely, generous (as for your precious and spare time and energy put in) and thoughtful to lay this all out so extensively, elaborate and in detail, so that everybody has the chance to get a slight clue what this all comprises and implies, as for RL matters as well as the immense willingness, means dedication, patience and effort needed to proceed and advance slowly slowly and step by step and eventually being rewarded with some or even serious and satisfying results ... Wonderful ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:45 pm 

I can't wait to see the new Ages in Uru Live! :x How can I they looking? :roll:

Code:
A3'9UR4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:03 pm 

TGMChrist. wrote:
I can't wait to see the new Ages in Uru Live! :x How can I see how they're progressing? :roll:

If where lucky they may post another preview for us

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow, thanks for the informative article. However, I'm still confused why Ages that are complete (such as Doobes' GoME pub or Vothal Gallery) can't be integrated into the game yet?

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Well on Gehn it's up to the GoW admins what Ages they want on there and where they're put (in the case of Gehn they're straight up added to the main Nexus).

On Cyan they want to do things differently (as is their right). When the Maintainer Nexus access point is added to MOUL not every fan Age made is going to get onto the server. There are constraints that will have to be navigated (does the Age contradict the lore, does it fit with Uru and for forth). Cyan wishes for the Ages added to go into the "gateway" (which at this point will most likely be the Maintainer Nexus access point) and players can access them from there. Ages that are well made (look good, stick the lore, so on and so forth) may get promoted to the main Nexus. Exceptional Ages may find themselves added to the cavern (book might show up in the Museum in Ae'gura for example). Now that's the idea behind the gateway project...whether it ends up like that or not remains to be seen.

But as it stands all fan content on cyan's shard will at first be accessed via the Maintainer Nexus access point. Given that the nexus isn't finished yet, that is why the existing MOUL compatible content is not on the Cyan shard already.

Not to mention author permission would be needed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Vector Cramp wrote:
... I'm still confused why Ages that are complete (such as Doobes' GoME pub or Vothal Gallery) can't be integrated into the game yet?

I believe part of the thinking behind this was a feeling that Cyan's original URU storyline – and the trajectory for playing and learning-as-you-go that Cyan built in – would best be kept distinct from explorer-created content. This is not out of any desire to segregate by quality or origins, but simply to keep already-confused URU newcomers (do you remember? :) ) from further confusion when encountering Ages that may not be 100% canon*, Ages that may have nothing to do with the URU storyline, Ages that may be of wonderful quality but that don't necessarily look like part of the URU world we know. Et cetera.

Another part of the issue has been keeping the main Cyan shard safe. As I understand it, this means that if any new content is to be integrated to the main server, it first must be tested on a third-party server that is on par with Cyan's in all key respects. Once technically approved, the content would then be moved to a small testing shard under Cyan's oversight, which was just set up in recent months. Only after that stage is established as technically safe would content be moved to the main shard. Getting this pipeline in place, approved and tested is one part of what has been taking some time for the volunteer(s) involved.

In the case of the Nexus, however, there's another hurdle: the Graphic User Interface panel where so much data is displayed. This is a pretty impressive bit of coding that, on demand, accesses data from Cyan's server – the Vault – and displays it on your screen, inside the game engine, in realtime. To test even a modification of the existing Nexus' GUI panel means that we have to thoroughly understand the GUI communication functions between the game engine and the server. And since the documentation on the many features of the GUI interface is pretty much nonexistent, we have to learn it the hard way (even Chogon says it's a tough nut to crack!)

Whatever Nexus is eventually applied to the central Cyan shard, these same hurdles must be overcome and thoroughly tested in a technical sense.

* The whole issue of “what is canon, what is not” is difficult for volunteer content creators. We're spread out all over the globe, and though we do have great communication tools available these days, it's not the same as sitting together in daily brainstorming sessions or working in the same building as Cyan's employees did for URU (and still do for Obduction). Generally, we don't have access to RAWA and Rand, we can't query them about nuances of canonicity. Content creators, Agebuilders/agewriters have discussions about what is or is not D'ni - and, as often as not it seems, we have differences of opinion about it. But, without Cyan's involvement, there is no longer any acknowledged authority on the subject.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:11 am 

I have a different question...

What with the time-consuming nature of designing new Ages--- and, as was said, the more complex the Age the longer it takes to complete...

...is/was there any discussion of creating something SIMPLE, to be incorporated into MOULa as a kind of 'declaration of intent'?

That was part of the idea behind Sevkor... that 'doghouse' idea that was the seed of Sevkor, was meant to be a no-frills, ramshackle "clubhouse" that only the staff knew about, where newly discovered books were HIDDEN from the public. At heart, it was a 'fort', that might be fun to hang-out at.

Sevkor had no puzzles & little story--- it was just gonna be a library; EVENTUALLY it was gonna be a fan-content library-- but until then, it'd just be a place with tables to sit around. --something to add to MOULa, as proof the process could be followed thru to completion. Which I THINK is something people need to see...

Honestly.. the 'social' aspect of MOULa is pretty big... -- music nights, story nights, etc, --- I guarantee, if you add 'hangouts' and 'forts' and cool little spots, where a group can just admire a beautiful vista outside a window or off a balcony while they sit and voice-chat... people would love those Ages, and use them.

So.. is anybody thinkin' of anything simple like that, to add to MOULa sooner rather than later?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:27 am 
Obduction Backer

I guess already released and tested Ages like Vothol Gallery or the Messengers’ Pub would be the first choice over Sevkor, which as far as I know is still a work in progress.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:36 am 

I think they are not many player in Uru Live because they are not to discover more please can their are added new ages please not all so the Descent,Kahlo,Direbo,Noloben,Laki'ahn,Sonavio,Fens,GoM Pub',Sholek's Temple ok?

prise the maker

Code:
A3'9UR4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:54 am 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:
...is/was there any discussion of creating something SIMPLE, to be incorporated into MOULa as a kind of 'declaration of intent'?

There were those clothing items (the ones that had some kerfuffle over some copyright issues, I think, but were eventually added). Does that count?

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:47 pm 

HarveyMidnight wrote:

I mentioned it once or twice, they did not like the idea, Im not sure about Sevcor, I have not heard from Matt since he last posted on the public forums, so I suggested re-purposing the Bead age to a library, an Idea inspired by Cyan they seem to re-purpose several of their mesh and ages, they didn't like that idea either.

I would still be more then happy to Help Matt with Sevcor. The concept and creation of Sevcor predates the Gateway team unfortunately most of the team never really liked the idea of a library even though it was the original idea for fan ages, and a heck of a lot easier then re-purposing nexus and its code, which they wanna do instead of using Sevcor. Unless Matt turns up soon. Sevcor will be pushed aside in favor of a Nexus with coding no one can figure out :roll:

Matt you can still have the first fan age on MOULa servers, I doubt their gonna get the nexus working any time in the near future

In the mean time I don't think people should havta wait on the Gateway team to enjoy the fan ages, which is why I keep pushing everybody to the Guild of Writers, they have all the fan ages along with options on exploring them with friends or alone, or making some your self. The Gateway team is not getting anything done any time soon: although I do remember the first time I bit off more then I can chew, It was Relativity, the very first age I worked on back in late 2009 after some help with the coding the first version was published for Uru CC two years later the last update was 2014
when will we have fan ages on MOULa, do the math

http://dni-guild-of-writers.deviantart. ... ?catpath=/

You can down load it for Uru CC threw the GoW. If you do check out the credits in the journal it took a lot of cooperation to get it to where it is and its still not finished.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 71  Next