It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh, drat. I just broke the levers, didn't I. I knew I forgot something when I updated the descriptive book.

Jellybeans are worth it, though, aren't they? :)

I'll try to get a fix in tonight, although it might not be until Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I posted on the other forum but yes, fixed, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I've redesigned the levers in the Sotusano tower. It's now a double-escapement system, so you can watch the staircase go up. More fun this way.

(This was also a test of my fine control. Editing the Sotusano descriptive book in place was tricky, and the levers stopped working for a couple of days. But I've got it sorted out now.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Well done! I'll give the levers a try, belford, but it may not be until next weekend, so if anyone else has time in the meantime, do have a go....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Added a new book in the Goldspring study. It's a one-room Age, nothing impressive. I had this notion for a chemical phosphorescence reaction, and sort of interpolated an Age structure around that. The result seems to be underground photosynthetic plant life (!), but not actually *alive*. So either I derived the ontology wrong or there's something else I missed.

By the way, I've stopped making regular trips to refill the diesel generator at the Goldspring entrance. Too busy. Just fill the tank if you see it's run dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:34 am 
Obduction Backer

OK, thanks, I had been checking it, but, since it was always topped up, I might have stopped looking....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

topped up the tank and pulled some levers....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:58 am 
Obduction Backer

pulled some more levers, to better effect! Enjoyed my visit to the Sotusano tower rooftop. I love the colours and didn't find them disorienting.

Post subject: Re: Seltani journal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think we're ready to roll. I've spent the past couple of days documenting everything I can think of about my Writing algorithms.

I've set up my notes in a small Age I call Ascheta -- from a Greek root meaning "trial, exercise". It's got paper, ink, pens, reference books, documentation, the lot. Everything you need to get started.

This is of course nowhere near *everything*. In particular, the derivation of a linking book from a descriptive book is too fiddly to explain clearly. So you can build an Age, but there's no way to make it publicly available right now. I'm working on this!

In the meantime... the Ascheta linking book is in the Seltani gallery, in the niche. (I hung up some balloons.) Have a look. Make a home. Build a world.

For more information, see the Guild of Writers forum: http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtop ... =10&t=6160

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:59 pm 
This is absolutely incredible! Outstanding work, Belford!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

There's now an area in the Seltani gallery where anybody can display books. Go nuts.

Anybody can remove books from that collection, too, so it's not a permanent solution. But to aid you in your book-wrangling, I've built a "Basic Library" world. It's simply a room with three bookshelves. Anybody can look at the shelves, but only the instance owner can add or remove books from them.

(Eventually, of course, you'll be able to build your own libraries too.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 am 
Hurray!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Pavitra, KathAveara, Xander, and Calum Traveler have already posted Writing experiments. And I am already astounded by the range of ideas that I have seen.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry about the long delay! I had to spend some time on non-Cavern concerns.

At the beginning of August I travelled to Rochester, and presented my Writing model to a group of Cavern explorers from the old DRC days. Exciting! Folks were very receptive; a crowd grabbed booklets immediately and headed downstairs to take a look. Several people were trying their hands at Age creation using my techniques. In fact, one guy had a working Age by the end of the day (thank you Qalthos!)

(I'm in the process of writing up an online version of the talk. For the moment, you can watch it on youtube.)

I can also report a point of progress. I've *finally* gotten the recipe for constructing linking books hammered down into a reliable algorithm. (Apologies to everybody who was doing it the hard way.) So you can now build Ages that contain links to other Ages, the way Leafspin does.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

I've put out a linking book for Catalavir, my latest. (It's been *nearly* done for a month; I finally got the last bug worked out.)

I also reorganized the books in the gallery, since there are getting to be a lot of them. They're in three groups now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next