It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Stranger's Story
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 pm 

The Stranger's Story.

Or, How I came to the First World, and met the First Man.

Part I

You want a story? A fireside story? Okay! This is the story of how I came to the First World, and met the First Man.

As you know, I am an Amad.. What does that mean? Well, it means I squint a lot.... and i see better in the dark, heh! But it also means I'm a lot older than I look. My Grampa was an Amad, as well. He was 92 when I was born, and when I got married some people thought he was my dad. Even now, when I see my own grandson, people sometimes think we're brothers.

But that doesn't matter.. what matters is, after my wife passed on, my children all grown with sons of their own, I didn't want to marry again. I went to sleep one night, wondering what I should do. I felt like an old man, trapped in a young man's body. Like I knew it was time for bed, but I wasn't tired... ready for work, but with no work to be done.

I had a dream about the Sacred Mountains.

Now.. Grampa told me we don't understand the story of the Sacred Mountains. It is said that people left the Third world, and as they fled, they took soil and rocks from the Sacred Mountains. They climbed into the sky, and they came to the Fourth World... they used that soil to rebuild the Sacred Mountains in the Fourth World. But that's not totally wrong, and it's not totally right. Grampa says the Sacred Mountains became lava that came up from below the ground and became solid mountains again. The Third World is under our feet. And even tho all the people there are dead, the World is still there, just below.

So when I dreamed of the Sacred Mountains, I knew I was seeing a volcano. It called me. And I was sure THAT volcano was real.. and under it, was the Third World. So, when I woke up, I knew what to do. I set out to find this volcano and go to the Third World.

But that's not what I found, my friends... No, I found the First World!!! How did I find it? Well, that's funny... I found it in a book!!! NO, literally... I opened the book, and THERE on the first page, was the First World.

You don't believe me? Just listen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:57 pm 

Continued:

Yes, it took me awhile to find that volcano. Had to go into the 'Four Corners' region, the place our people wandered out of long ago, because it just became too dry, too devoid of life.

Still.. SOMEONE managed to live out here, because I found the strangest dwelling, not a mile from the volcano. A crack in the earth... where someone had actually hollowed out caves in the walls to use as rooms. There was machinery there.. some type of spinning-wheel. I couldn't get it to turn, myself tho. I didn't dwell on it--- I was here for the entrance of the Third World, not to move into somebody's abandoned cave!

I walked toward the volcano.. wondering exactly how I'd enter.. what lay below, and whether there'd be lava, or animals.. the Third World is the land of the dead, as the stories say. I assumed there might be ghosts there! When the heat got really bad, I imagined that maybe I'd see the ghosts of my parents.. or even catch the 'ghost sickness'. Brrrr...

I hope you weren't expecting this to turn into a ghost story, tho... well, it MIGHT be, but not just now. Because I never made it to the volcano-- something on the ground caught my eye: there was a book. A very strange, enchanted book. I off-handedly opened it; I'm not much of a reader--- but inside, on the first page was the strangest picture I'd ever seen. Full color, and... well, it was deep in the book-- It's hard to explain. It was like a tiny window cut into the front of the book, and I could see see through that window into another place-- I could see some kind of deck, in front of some kind of giant wheel. Looking back now, I'd say the wheel was a giant clock-piece, made from a boulder!

It looked so real, I just had to touch it, to see how it felt. Hmm... that may have been a mistake. First off, I thought I dropped the book--- I didn't let go, but I could see it fall. Then I couldn't see it....

Then, I was standing at JUST the place I had seen in the picture. The wooden deck, I now saw, was a dock! This is an ISLAND, I said to myself. I was on a dock, and there was a sunken boat, hitched to it. In front of me was that boulder-gear-building.... I wandered around a bit..Hehehe.. it took me a whole two days to search that island-- I saw two sunsets, two sunrises. All in just an hour!!!! What a short day! Even your lazy uncles wouldn't mind putting in a full day's work on THAT island!

But there were four distinct 'places' that touched the shore of the sea.. one was the dock, one was that gear- boulder room, one was a big clock-- the last one looked like some kind of big, giant bullet that was made into a house... you had to go across a bridge to get to the giant bullet--- I guess that's to keep it away from the island, in case it explodes or something.

Then I saw that giant pine tree.. and I knew where I was.

Four spots on the shore, to access the seas.. yes, four seas. An island surrounded by four seas, with a giant pine.

I was in the First World! The birthplace of people. The world where the First Man met the First Woman. I have heard white men call this place "Eden."

Post subject: Re: The Stranger's Story
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:49 am 

(Wow, I really have gone more than a month since the last installment? Sorry 'bout that!)

I've never really put much stock into books. For me, the story has always been alive-- you remember it, and you tell it out loud--- that's how you remember it. Oh, sure, maybe you'll get a detail wrong here or there.. or even something occurs to you to say, that makes it sound better than the last time you told it!!!

But writing stories into books? Yeah, the details stay the same.. but the story isn't alive. You lose some essential part of the... what's the word I am thinking of? Maybe there's no word... .the connection, the relationship between the person who's telling and the one who's hearing-- the magic that happens when you tell a story. Not to mention, if you write it down--- the pressure's off, and you don't have to remember it any more. But how long, then, until you forget the story?

This is the feeling that came to me when I found the library in the First World. Because the books were burned. What do you do then, when you've forgotten all your stories because you wrote them down--- and they all get burned? And I knew.. even before The first man, Father Sky ever told me that his books were 'special'.. I mean, a special book brought me HERE, right?

I couldn't stop the tears... and imagine if I was to cry--- me, a guy who really doesn't put much stock into books--- I can't imagine how sad the owner of these books must have felt. What kind of angry man burns magic books??? Seeing all that destruction, I would have headed right back home.. if I knew the way.

Oh.. and I also came across the strangest... mhh... I guess it was a Dreamcatcher! Big and round, it was made of metal. I played with it until I saw the face of a man--- a ghostly face. That's how I knew it was a dream. He was speaking to someone else, not to me...he couldn't hear me, and he was talking to his wife, I suppose. And he said names.. his son's name, his wife's name...

Names don't stick to me, tho. I'm used to names that mean something. When I was four they named me 'Too-bright'-- this is because the sun was always so bright, I squinted all the time. These days I give my name as 'One Stranger in Many Places'... but everybody just calls me 'Stranger'. Hah, even my friends!

But anyway.. back in the library I found two books that were not burned. Two books put aside, on pedestals, on each side of the room ... a red book and a blue one. Inside these books were two men--- in the blue book was a very angry man. In the red book, there was a much calmer man...

(This is the only point that I think spoilers will happen in the story. On the odd chance you have never played the first Myst, the story should still make sense even if you skip this spoiler... I think.)
[Reveal] Spoiler:
And eventually, I guessed who these men were. The man in the red book was Coyote-- in the blue book, was The Coyote Known as First Angry. They claimed to be brothers, they claimed this library belonged to their father... and that he was dead, or missing. That much, they agreed on. But each man blamed his brother for what happened to the books and to their father.

I set out to figure out which of them was telling the truth. As I did so, I wandered my way into the hidden books.. unlocked the 'places of protection'--- they needed pages, to complete their stories, and let them out of the books where they had gotten stuck!!! See... you can read a story and get STUCK in it!! Give me a choice and I'd rather NOT deal with books!!!

The more I listened to Coyote, the more he just.. seemed.. untrustworthy. Just in his manner, as he spoke... Like this one Spaniard I remember from a caravan, long ago--- always trying to sell things for more than they were worth. In the blue book, First-Angry acted like a crazy man, sure. But I've known plenty of crazy men in my life, and 'crazy' doesn't mean 'evil'.

And besides which.. how would YOU feel if your father was murdered by your brother, right in front of you--- and your father was so confused he wasn't sure if YOU did it, so you got locked up for it? I imagine I'd be pretty crazy after something like that., wouldn't YOU be?

But... I think I'm a pretty good judge of character.. and at some point I just realized, as First Angry was raving and growling... spit flying from his lips... I said, "It's BOTH of them.. they are BOTH monsters!" and the more these men pleaded with me to help them, the more I felt like I was supposed to pick one or the other... the more I realized there simply HAD to be a third choice, 'neither brother' and something else I could do, somewhere on this island.

And that's when First Angry told me to go in the fireplace--- 'but don't touch the green book..' HAHAHAHHhhAHHAH!!! I said out loud, "Oh, nooooo, First-Angry, I won't touch the green book!" as I thought to myself that green book was already as good as open.

Inside that book, was another man--- the father of these two unruly brothers. And that is how I met Father Sky, the First Man. I helped him, but he didn't want out of his book, so I left him there.

(Author's note: Believe it or not, this is mostly the way I actually solved Myst.)

Well, that's my story about the First World.I was stuck there for a while, and I became friends with First Man.. I finally got to where I could remember his name, "Atrus". He told me about his wife, how she was in danger.. he told me about his father

...Ahh... and this goes back again to how my Grandpa told me once-- just like I said about not using books: Not all the storytellers get the details right. Because the NEXT part of my story takes me to the Second world...

Which, as you know, the spirit-folk came to the second world, and they were asked to leave when one of them made an inappropriate proposition to the wife of Sparrow Chief. And all the spirit folk crawled out of the second world through a hole in the sky. Well.. some of it happened that way, some of it didn't. Because guess who the wife of Sparrow Chief really was? And guess how they knew the First Man?

And ohhh.. that hole in the sky... full of stars, so beautiful... so mysterious...

Ohh, it's too good to tell just now... wait for it, it's coming up.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]