It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A NEW GUILD...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but feel free to move it to a more appropriate place and please forgive us our ignorance regarding the subject...
Our question is - what should a person or a group of people do to create a new guild officially ? Is a creation of a new guild something anyone can do, or should it be approved by Cyan ? We know GUILD OF GREETERS members wear a special t-shirt so new players can recognize them easily if they need help. If we are free to create guilds of our own is it possible to get (or create) our own t-shirt too ? What about choosing a name for a guild ? How do we know if the name is not already taken ?
Kirk of Xeniphers and I, with the help of our buddies have helped new players for more than a year and started to call our group of people GUILD OF HELPERS (unofficially). We recently learned that a guild with the same name actually existed in the past and also that is has not been active for a very long time.
Well, to make a long story (or question) short, we don't want to offend anyone or do something that is not allowed, but would like to continue with what we are doing, which means helping new players and it would be nice to see our guild officially recognized and having special t-shirts so that new people could see immediately who we are and seek help without us offering help over and over again whenever someone (new or not) links to Ae'gura. This way we could just be there waiting for them to approach us, if and when they need help.
Zesty and Kirk of Xeniphers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 am 

As co-founder of The Guild Of Sleepers, I feel I can comment on this

When we set up the Sleepers, we faced the same questions you have posed here.
I looked into whether the name "Sleepers" was already being used by mainly looking on rel.to as it does contain a lot of guilds, groups, organisations and websites. Not finding the name "Sleepers" on there, I concluded that the name had not been taken. If it had been taken, I would think the Guild of Messengers would know about it and have included it somewhere in rel.to.

I can't remember if I asked Cyan or not about how to be recognised as an official guild (probably not Cyan, but I did ask about it with someone) and the answer I remember was basically, don't hold your breath, Cyan almost certainly won't be making any new guilds "official" but there is no reason why you can't set up an unofficial guild. So that's what the Guild of Sleepers is, an unofficial, fan created Guild of MOULa.

As for having a guild T-shirt, making one is easy. I have made one for Sleepers members in TOC, and even wrote a guide about making T-shirts here. Getting Cyan to put that T-shirt into MOULa ... now that is a whole other separate matter.

As for you wanting to use the name "Helpers", well if the guild is truly dead, I see no problem with it, but my suggestion is that you make an effort to contact whoever was running the guild to ask for permission. If you do not get a reply, I would go ahead and use the name and set up your Guild of Helpers, if the previous organisers don't like it, you can explain that you did ask for permission but took no response to mean they didn't care.

I hope this helps you, and good luck, you do a great job in cavern.
Alien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the main issue with Greeters, New Greeters, Helpers and the like is that they aren't as important as they used to be, as these days most new explorers find the Greeters' site or the Newcomer's Guide and get most of the help they need, while in ye olde days resources were more scattered (maybe they still are in languages other than english).
So, not to be the contrarian, but before choosing a name, I think you should ponder if your new guild is really useful and unique or if you would do better by joining the Greeters.
And what about the Guild of Wizards? :)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

we created the guild of wizards for fun kororev but started to think about guild of helpers because it is what we are doing every day, for almost a year - help new players ! there are so many ways to help a new player with a hint or two rather than just sending them to GOG site to read walkthroughs.
we have never encountered another helper/greeter member, lunnane at least not that we know and if they had been wearing special clothes, as i suggested, it would spare us the confusion....... a guild of new greeters ? who are they and where can we find them ? how to know someone is a greeter if he/she is not looking different than all the other players ?
and alien, thank you for your kind words and useful info and assisting us with helping new people on numerous occasions too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:56 pm 

Tor'i wrote:
The 5 Guilds that have been currently recognized by Cyan and are represented by being present in Kirel are:

Guild of Greeters
Guild of Messengers
Guild of Maintainers
Guild of Writers
Guild of Cartographers

As far as Cyan sanctioning guilds outside of this list - I am not sure what the process is for this or was intended to be. I will inquire about this as well.

Thank you for writing in and have a great weekend!
-Tor'i

Don't have time to write up a full reply at the moment, Zesty. Will hopefully to get to it later tonight...Trying to get ready for a trip!
(So, at least I'll likey have time during fight layovers.)

:)

Last edited by Nev'yn on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Zesty!

What you're proposing with the "Guild of Helpers" is the exact thing we do as the "Guild of New Greeters" (Or just "New Greeters," if you will). When I started the New Greeters, I was in a similar position as you, at a time when the need for the Guild of Greeters in the cavern was strong.

Sadly the original Guild of Greeters are somewhat inactive at this point in time, which is where the New Greeters come in. Our numbers are small, but we'd most certainly love to have you and Kirk, or anyone else for that matter, join our guild. We are Cyan recognized (not Cyan "sanctioned," but we are recognized by them and have permission to use the "Greeters" name) and we, just like the GoG of old, use the green shirts and GoG hood. In the New Greeters, you two would be able to do the same thing you're proposing to do in a new guild, and you would be working under a name that veteran explorers already recognize.

If you'd like to join just let me know! Our website can be found here, our forums here, and if you've got any questions don't hesitate to ask (I think Lunanne's already answered your others already).

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:43 am 

lunanne wrote:
The Guild of Greeters is the original guild whose purpose was exactly what you want to do , help new people. They became mostly inactive so the Guild of New Greeters(http://newgreeters.openuru.org/) started to work together with them to greet new people. Afaik they are still active and open for membership.

To distinguish yourself from other players you can use a specific suffix with your name, for example the messengers have "GoMe <name>" avatars. Apart from that you could wear the greeter tshirt(green tshirt) found in Kirel.

As a member of the Guild of New Greeters this would also be my suggestion. It is not that a new Guild is needed it is that current Guild members need to be actively pursuing the jobs/ purposes of their Guild.
Join us... And help away!!! Ty.luv angelmyst.

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:14 am 

Maybe Zesty's way of "helping" people doesn't necessarily fall under the GONG guidelines.. you should check that before anything else. Just a friendly suggestion... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

thank you all who posted kind and encouraging replies... we really appreciate your time and effort to advice, encourage and support us in our efforts to help others.
and the ones that are not so kind and encouraging kirk and i chose to ignore :)
i just love the saying: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." i wish more people world follow its wise advice... some people maybe don't realize but their attitude and what they say about other people speaks much more about them than about those they are speaking about !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:27 am 

I'm sure you're right about the quality of these people... But at least nobody calls them door run gestapo behind their backs and says they regret "being helped" by them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Holy passive aggressiveness, batman. What just happened here? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:00 am 

Just pointing out that the definition of "help" can sometimes be classified among the other non absolute manifestations of our universe.
Creating a new greeting Guild or becoming a member of an existing one sure demands you to decide what is your own definition before you get to work, right? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:54 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
Holy passive aggressiveness, batman. What just happened here? :?

Riddle me this, riddle me that, you can figure this out by hiding your hat :D :P

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next