It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Would you like to attend a lecture about Ainia's Cleft location excursions?
Poll ended at Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:13 am
Absolutely! 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Maybe, if it's at a convenient time 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
Undecided 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No thanks 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

I have been asked if I would be willing to do an in-Cavern presentation regarding my Cleft research excursions and so would like to gauge explorer interest in such an event. If there is a good deal of interest, then I would want to run a few additional polls to learn more about how to structure it and what bits are of the most interest to folks.

Feel free to post comments here (or PM me if you prefer).

Thanks!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I voted "maybe if it's at a convenient time" and wanted to explain - I'd be keen to attend, but the timing is the key for us Europeans: a lot of Cavern events seem to be held in the small hours, unfortunately. The AGM time works well, however. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I will echo the above: in New Mexico, on KI time, you are seven hours behind us so 6pm for you is 1 am for us. It leaves us only weekends when we can all be awake and not at work at the same time :)

Somewhere between 1000 and 1400 KI would be a good window to catch most of Europe and the US. But that cuts into your weekend and your explorations :o Still, I would be interested to see your presentation, and hope it would prompt some feedback from the audience on their own discoveries :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 am 

Acorn1 nails it on the head, time is very important for a global community like this one. Depending on the interest and the audience I'd consider holding two lectures spaced out between 8-12 hours apart.
I voted absolutely because I'm very much a student of history and take a great deal of interest in both history and geography, but only if the time was convenient enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone!

The poll has ended and it looks like there is enough interest to warrant putting together a presentation! :o And considering how important timing is to most parties, I am inclined to schedule something in European- and Australian-friendly times. This means 2AM or 3AM KI time. Are there any shrieks of anguish from New Worlders? :?:

Considering the potential volume of information I could present, I'd like to get a better feel for which aspects of the project are of the most interest to attendees. And I'd like to understand if there are particular needs I should keep in mind (for instance, if some folks are non-native English speakers).

Plus there are technical considerations: whether to stick with KI texting or to go with voice, how to make illustrations accessible to everyone, if there are attendee internet bandwidth or hardware issues, etc. etc. Since there are such a variety of questions for me to address, I'd like to encourage folks to chime in here. I could put together another series of polls but am not sure how effective they might be since each person's issues, preferences, concerns etc. may well be unique.

For now, I'm aiming for an August timeframe. Thoughts please??? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Yay to European-friendly times. :P Thanks, Ainia.

I'm not an expert in how to do these things but I think it's vital that we should all be able to see your pictures as you explain things - not sure how best to achieve this, though. You could tell us which pic we should be looking at and we all go to a website/dropbox to find it. But this might mean voice would be best so we're not clicking to look at your text and then back to pics?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:10 am 

Acorn1 wrote:
Yay to European-friendly times. :P Thanks, Ainia.

I'm not an expert in how to do these things but I think it's vital that we should all be able to see your pictures as you explain things - not sure how best to achieve this, though. You could tell us which pic we should be looking at and we all go to a website/dropbox to find it. But this might mean voice would be best so we're not clicking to look at your text and then back to pics?

I agree to that, if external pictures will be involved it will essentially mean a vocal presentation so we can both follow the information in the picture and know when to move on from them. I think the best day to hold it would be on a Saturday/Sunday time period as the global community as a whole would be more available to attend, but it's worth keeping a tab on the attendance during the week anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

I have been told that the Guild of Greeters had once hosted an event in their pub, using the viewer there as a presentation display. So I'm looking into how to do the same here (stay tuned :) ). I'm a big fan of keeping things as simple as possible, so hope to go this route if I can figure out exactly how they did it.

So the next big question is what everyone is interested in seeing. I have a variety of road trips and side trips done, with geological, botanical, zoological, and archeological pics. So I need to focus on a sub-topic or location if I hope to whittle down the 2500+ photos in my collection into a digestible form! Poll coming...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:29 pm 

The idea of using the pub imagers as displays sounds pretty useful, considering you can view the pub ones from any angle.
My guess on how to use it for a slideshow is to clear the imager, upload the next slide, then clear it again, etc.
FYI, to clear an imager, send it a title-less KI note containig only the text "cleardaImager" (note caps).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]