It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:27 am 

Spoilers below for several of the Myst games & stories:

I dunno.. call me the eternal optimist, as a sci fi fan.... once the story ends, I sometimes like to imagine how I would resurrect the killed-off characters, and redeem the villains.

I started to wonder exactly what became of Gehn, after the events of Riven... was he trapped forever? Did he die alone in a prison Age, or has he been kept unnaturally ageless in the 'void' of a trap book, forever stranded between Riven and D'ni?

It occurred to me, tho, that, once Releeshan was written, and the surviving D'ni settled there and became a community several-thousand strong of D'ni people --- among them, former guildsmen and masters of the Art... that there was a MUCH better punishment waiting there for Gehn.

How fitting a punishment would it be, for Atrus to forgive his father, release him, and welcome him with open arms to live among the D'ni people in Releeshan?

Gehn took the pride of the D'ni to heart.. styled himself a God, and saw himself as the 'last son of D'ni' and the only living man blessed with the power of the Art. How would he feel, if he was NOT such a great and noble heir? How would he feel.... to just be a face in the crowd of D'ni people?

Here's this man, "blessed" with a schoolboy-level education about the Art, and who LITERALLY couldn't write a stable Age to save his own life... surrounded by full-blooded D'ni, many of whom are ancient masters of the Art whose WORST works put Gehn's great triumph of 'Riven' to shame. And then.... to add insult to injury... Here's Releeshan: the resurrection of the greatness of D'ni! The fallen empire raised again to glory and beauty--- thanks to the brilliant skill of Gehn's discarded, so-called "emotionally crippled" son, Atrus.

Seriously.. Gehn's only "contribution" to the resurrection of the D'ni people... is how lucky he is, to have clumsily FAILED to kill Atrus.

It was easy for Gehn to convince himself, putting on airs among a superstitious tribe of cro-magnon level 'lake people' in Age 37, that he was a God. But really... is there ANYBODY in Releeshan that would see the 'Great God Gehn' as anything more than Releeshan's 'village idiot'?

And, in time, wouldn't even Gehn himself come to learn the value of humility--- once humiliation has been thrust upon him?

So that's it for me; I'm convinced Gehn was released by Atrus, sometime after the events of Myst 4, and he spent the remainder of his days in Releeshan... humble, charitable, and penitent...

...like Scrooge, after the spirits had done their work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:18 am 
Obduction Backer

I feel sorry for him too. He had such a tragic start to his life and seems to never have gotten his mind around the destruction of his world and his future.
But...
If he were sane at heart then he might change with such new circumstances but his crazy blend of insecurity and arrogance would probably make him a divisive force. His humiliation might just lead him to dangerous efforts to reclaim his dream of empire. It may have been his years on his own in D'ni that tipped him over into seeing others as simply tools to be used but, then again, we see the same trait passed down to his grandsons. I'd say even if some of the D'ni had advanced psychological healing knowledge Artus and Catherine would be VERY reluctant to let him join their attempt at a new start. I keep thinking of the dismissive way he has people shot. I just don't see him as the penitent type.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 am 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:
And, in time, wouldn't even Gehn himself come to learn the value of humility--- once humiliation has been thrust upon him?
So that's it for me; I'm convinced Gehn was released by Atrus, sometime after the events of Myst 4, and he spent the remainder of his days in Releeshan... humble, charitable, and penitent...
...like Scrooge, after the spirits had done their work.

I love to imagine such a scenario and I actually can imagine that very well as we are all loving and benevolent by nature as Children of God and Eternal Beings of Light, whatever prompts us to act and behave differently in whatever rigorous, merciless or just inappropriate manner ... and if Gehn through such an opportunity evolved to understand life better and to get over Keta's death and whatever else made him the personality he represented and learned thus to forgive life and also to forgive himself in the first place, which is absolutely essential, he could then be even more authentic and genuine in his humble and charitable deeds and find an inspiring and enjoyable life again for himself and together with everyone ... How wonderful is that? ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
That's a beautiful theory, Harvey. Very well thought out. I enjoyed reading it and thinking about Gehn struggling to deal with all that. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

As interesting a theory that sounds, don't forget what Yeesha says of him in one of her journals from Myst V:

Quote:
Gehn, my Grandfather, my heritage, that monster who thought himself a god, was once again imprisoned. Perhaps he still rules that desolate, empty, and dead place, riven by the pride and bitterness of his own heart. But more likely he is in another desolate, empty, dead place, where there is weeping. I hope he is miserable. I cannot forgive him for what he did. It eats at my heart.

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Vector Cramp wrote:
As interesting a theory that sounds, don't forget what Yeesha says of him in one of her journals from Myst V:

Quote:
Gehn, my Grandfather, my heritage, that monster who thought himself a god, was once again imprisoned. Perhaps he still rules that desolate, empty, and dead place, riven by the pride and bitterness of his own heart. But more likely he is in another desolate, empty, dead place, where there is weeping. I hope he is miserable. I cannot forgive him for what he did. It eats at my heart.

That Yeesha, understandably, wasn't at that point ready to forgive and forget doesn't mean that Atrus or others or even we had to adopt that sentiment ... Harvey's just theorizing a wonderful possible further development, and over time even Yeesha will have processed her grieving and pain, she also many times proved that she has the inner strength, fortitude and also love to get over it ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:49 pm 

I don't know if someone can ever truly change. My uncle was a Gehn clone, and he went happily to his grave without ever asking forgiveness for the trouble he caused. At the very least, if Gehn ever did get out, I'd never turn my back on him - born a shark died a shark, as the saying goes...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Atrus is not a man to make the same mistake twice. He already made the mistake of trying to reach out to his sons after they were imprisoned. Look how that turned out. Although to be fair Achenar did redeem himself at the end. But still all the pain and grief caused by those two brothers is inexcusable.

Plus there's the fact that while Atrus was largely unaware of Sirrus and Achenar's more heinous crimes (or so it seemed to me), while he was completely aware of how evil Ghen was. He witnessed many of those acts firsthand. Which is why he trapped him on Riven in the first place.

Then there was the whole debacle in the events of Riven. Ghen really showed his evil side then, and in a very personal way by capturing Cathrine, and trying to use her as bait to lure Atrus in order to kill him. I'm sorry, but as forgiving as Atrus, there are some things you don't forgive.

However. as to your theory, I will admit that it is at least possible. I looked over the last few scenes of Riven, trying to pin down exactly what happened to the linking book to the prison age Ghen was trapped on. Catherine takes it from you, and then gives it to Atrus, who then links out with it in his pack. So I suppose that it is entirely possible. I just think it's unlikely considering everything that went on between Atrus and Ghen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Magic8889 wrote:
Plus there's the fact that while Atrus was largely unaware of Sirrus and Achenar's more heinous crimes (or so it seemed to me), while he was completely aware of how evil Ghen was.

I totally agree here.

How typical that sons find their father a monster and yet tend to bend a bit for their sons

Things that make you wonder...hmmm

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]