It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:04 am 

Not exactly a full fanfic, but I'm writing a serial story inspired by the Myst journals. I'm eleven installments in and could use some input. They all are really short, basically each is a journal entry. I'm practicing storytelling methods.

I hope this is okay to post here.

Journal Story

Last edited by Banshea on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My Writing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:01 pm 

Anybody willing to offer criticism? I'm new to this style of writing so any feed back would be useful.

Also should I go more D'ni with my world, come up with a new mechanism, or leave it ambiguous?

Thank you for reading even if you don't comment.

P.S. I post a new entry every weekday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Well, it's pleasant reading albeit a bit confusing. That didn't deter me as I expected things would become more clear as I read on and some things did, but others are still something of a mystery.

The most confusing thing is that the latest entry (March 27th) seems to be written by another person. If that's the case, is it possible to mark it as such in some way?

Also, there are some words which don't seem to fit and feel like they should have been something else (as if autocorrect had replaced what was intended to be there).

All that said, I found it interesting reading and will continue to read new installments.

Thanks for sharing, Banshea.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:02 am 

It was written by a different character; I should somehow make that more clear. As to the other point, that would be me posting on my phone. I write the entire thing in about twenty minutes and don't have time to edit. My phone likes to change words on me randomly, hopefully I'll be getting a portable keyboard which should help.

Thank you for reading and responding. I just wanted to know if I was good enough to continue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 am 

The beginning seemed a little abrupt. Like it was started in the middle of an entry. Can you link directly to the first entry so I can make sure I really am starting in the right place?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:25 am 

It does begin fairly abruptly. I was more concerned with getting myself to wrote than decide on a proper beginning. I might go back and write those entries later.

http://ecririons.com/2015/03/31315/

That's the first entry.

Last edited by Banshea on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Banshea wrote:
Thank you for reading and responding. I just wanted to know if I was good enough to continue.

Shorah Banshea! :)

I agree with the comments by others here but would like to add... don't worry about whether this is "good enough" or not. If it's something you enjoy, then just keep doing it! :D

My personal rule of thumb is to do fun stuff for my own enjoyment first and foremost. I have learned that if I get too caught up in what others think, then it quickly stops being fun and becomes a chore instead. ;)

(Keep in mind, this is just my perspective on this sort of thing... whatever you do here, best of luck!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 am 

Shorah and fair enough.

I guess what I really meant to say is that I'm trying to become a published author (not with this story specifically). Writing is fun, but I do want it to be a career as well. I'm gonna keep going with this, and will probably try to pursue other avenues as well.

If I had a better computer I would probably create ages from all the world's in my head. Maybe developed my own shard if I had any idea what those are.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 pm 

I was finally able to migrate my story to the new site. I'm trying to build a community of authors there so that will be its permanent home.

I updated the link in the first post to the first entry and added a graphic to each post making it more identifiable.

I didn't do much for the grammar yet though, as it's a lot of work to set up a website, but I hope you will all check it out and offer ideas on what you would like to see both in the story and on the site.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:21 am 

For anyone writing fanfiction or fanfiction lite (based on a work with its own world, characters, and rules) how careful are you about what you use from the original source?

I don't want to infringe on copyright, but at the same time it's an inspired work, so borrows pretty heavily. Any thoughts?

I've been trying hard not to use the word "link" for example.