It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Creating a D'ni Clock.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:38 am 

Shorah everyone!

I've taken an interest in the D'ni calendar/time system, and I've taken it upon myself to create a clock that converts the current surface time, to the current time as it were in D'ni while being as accurate as possible, that meaning down to the last prorahn! :D

That being said, I figured someone early on must have been interested enough to do the same, especially considering a few journals in the Myst games were written with D'ni dates. I wasn't wrong, a fellow by the name of Brett Middleton created the Cavernian Calendar Converter (which for those curious can find here.)

However it appears the documentation he links to has disappeared, and the pdf file he's written, has been a very confusing read. Following the algorithms provides the proper hahr, but after that it's not accurate to his own application. Unfortunately, he also never provided the source code to his application, so I'm not able to compare our code to find the issue with mine.

So I turn here, does any explorer remember how to convert surface time to D'ni time, or vice versa, and is able to explain the logic behind the math to me clearly?

If no one does, well... I guess I'll have to figure out from scratch, which may prove a challenge. I can promise however, that if it comes to that, I'll be releasing my findings, and releasing my own application on github. So that hopefully any other explorer with a programming habit can build upon my work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi and welcome, FwuXi ... The documentation he links to is his own and as he stated, the PDF file is a copy of the same... :P

The CCConverter as Brett explains here is based on algorithms and codes, which he has extensively researched, recreated and documented in resp. files, an Excel workbook, the VBA script code etc., which can be downloaded from that page ... he used macros, which have to be allowed to be processed, but that's ok and safe, and that's all that comes to my mind for now ... Best of luck and fun further on ... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 am 
Obduction Backer

This reminds me: I’ve made a custom bash prompt, based on this one, that displays D’ni time on a bar on the top of the shell. The coding is horrible, but I guess it’s a start, if you’d like to use it :)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:06 am 
Obduction Backer

You are right, this has been done before. A particularly elaborate example is RIUM+’s D’ni clock and you can get everything you need from his Mysterium presentation linked there. Google also easily finds several other references.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah, FwuXi and welcome to the MOUL forums. Good luck with your project. I do hope you'll keep us updated on your progress and post a picture of the final product.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

You know what? This is a good excuse for me to start playing around with Github. Here’s a Python version; keep in mind I’m a newbie to programming :)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.