It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Riven Speedrun
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah!

I don't know if anyone remembers (since it was quite a while ago now) but DTC and I did a let's play of the Myst series for the 20th anniversary of Myst. Now, I was pretty bored yesterday, so I recorded a speedrun of Riven. Timing from the first click out of the link-in prison to the last click on the telescope button to open the star fissure (having trapped Gehn and freed Catherine) took a whopping 50 minutes 26 seconds. Now, I know this can be improved upon, since I wasn't terribly speedy (and I managed to mess up the sequencing at one point) so I'm throwing it out there as a challenge to beat my time, under the same conditions.

tumblr: kaththedragon

Post subject: Re: Riven Speedrun
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Did you use the 5 disks or the DVD? :mrgreen:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have the GoG.com version :P. If you're using the 5-disk version, feel free to deduct disk changeover time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:48 am 

I hate to say it, but you have a bit of improvement to do. The world record is 8:13.

http://www.speedrun.com/Riven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAxYTw1GYWQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Ah. I chose not to skip cutscenes (which I know adds about 30 minutes) but I didn't think to use zip mode. That's a feature of Myst games I don't use that much. Heh, maybe I'll try again with both of those.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've been looking through this yesterday, Kath, and I'd like to say that it was a real joy to watch a Riven rundown in 'one small piece' of around an hour, and I still could see and understand a lot more that way, which I hadn't seen and understood before (I didn't play it as often as you all did lol), and I was marveling at how you did this all so easily, precisely and fast and without skipping anything, as if you've done this already since forever lol ... :P

What I actually want to say, esp. as for your original intent to do this all as fast as possible, the way it is presented right now is exactly the way it is most and still pleasurable and inspiring to watch as well as to play for yourself, I suppose, and I esp. loved the cutscenes and how you've patiently been waiting for everything to proceed (all the interactions needed 'some more time' to effect sth back in the days), but if you're going for best scores now that's sth else, so I was lucky to get to watch that more extensive and pleasant 'speedrun' ... Thanks, Kath and I wish you much fun with beating even higher scores ... :D

================
I'd like to add, because that's a very important effect and impression a speedrun as yours conveys, Kath, it showscases impressively what an amazing masterpiece Riven really was and still is in every way (graphics, sounds and atmospheric music, interactions, awesome and working technologies, transportation systems, besides 'linking', all the many little details and real persons even like in a movie, and not to speak of the integrated puzzles, the whole storyline and all what makes Myst and Riven 'Myst and D'ni' etc. etc.), when you only think of the times in which all that was created, when there were still text adventures played in DOS mode etc. around lol, there were other games and certainly good ones too, but I believe, in general, Riven cannot really be compared to any of them, not back then and not today ... Yeah, I really wanted to add that piece of inspiration one can get while watching this ... :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

A bit OT, but a neat thing in Myst, that wasn’t repeated in the sequels, is that you could actually stay there after The End. If you think about it, this made Myst a little bit more like Uru Live than the other games.

Would have been nice if Atrus did in fact had a spare J’nanin linking book, maybe as a bonus for the Good Ending, so that we could see the Lesson Ages the way they were intended...

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

janaba1 wrote:
-snip-

To be honest, Janaba, it's not a very good showcase of Riven. After all, I never even visited Plateau Island! Nor did I spend any time whatsoever looking at the tiny details that make Riven amazing (such as the 'fish' eye, which you can see as I park the submarine at the gallows).