It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: D'ni in Unreal!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:27 am 
Obduction Backer

What are your system specs? This is Unreal 4 after all so it demands a pretty beefy computer built for gaming that is fairly recent (as in built within the last 5 to 6 years.) Right now its just a demo so I didn't create a graphics scaling option. I can run it just fine, but I have GTX 760 and a quadcore processor - which will serve me well when Obduction releases since its the same engine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:43 am 

For the record:
3 GZ AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor(2 core)
6 GB of DDR2 ram
ATI Radeon HD 5450
Windows 10(500ish GB disk) or Fedora Core 23(145GB partastion)
Can't remember my MB offhand

This computer is good for PS3 era video [email protected] but lacks the power to play PS4 era games.*

* Yes I know PCs don't have era(or generations) but thinking of it that way makes it easy to explain what I can and can't run.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Just tested it out and yup, smooth like butter. The models are all very low poly (I'm not the best modeller to be honest) and I used some smaller textures here and there to which I applied a lot of shaders. I bought my graphics card in 2013 to play a heavily modded Skyrim and its served me well ever since even though its not the recommended card for Obduction.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:19 am 

A 2013 video card would be PS4 era and could make all the difference. My video card is kind of old nowadays. Unreal 3 is PS3 era. Skyrim is also PS3 era but could probally be PS4 if moded enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:12 pm 

Yali, you may want to chase down Andy Legate. For a time he was building parts of Uru in Unreal. I played with it for a time, until Cyan decided they were not going to allow the porting of Uru into any other engine. :roll:

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

My hunch for why they chose to do that is that they may be considering rebooting Uru in Unreal some time after Obduction (could be anywhere from a few years to a decade from now.) I've been chatting with Eric Anderson on the Obduction Facebook Group and there's a lot of initially envisioned content and storytelling that Cyan had planned for Uru (such as the game beginning with the descent to D'ni) that I believe the original artists and writers behind the project want to see "done right". It'll take some new modes of financing, whether Kickstarter or investors, but at this point I can tell from my interactions with the Cyantists that a whole reboot is something that wouldn't be impossible considering the importance of the Uru story and setting to Cyan and the current state of MOULa and Plasma (ugh), so Cyan may want to have copyright control over any Uru content in Unreal (meaning only they can do it, and do it justice :) )

Meanwhile I strongly recommend the Myst and Uru community download Unreal and begin making small ages/environments. I have two Myst fan game concepts - one of which I'm actively working on being Black Moiety, and the other being Darka which in itself is a fully fleshed out game concept with ages, characters and areas. Personally I think the more the fan community learns Unreal, more of us can join teams like Starry Expanse have done, and work on a few large Myst fan game projects.

For Black Moiety, I even founded my own company called "Crimson Entertainment" inspired by 59 Volts. Crimson being the opposite of Cyan on the color wheel and starting with "C" made it an easy choice. I'm hoping if more of the community learns, more people could join my "company" or 59 Volts and actively build new Myst games in parallel to what Cyan is making. Ideally, I'm hoping some of us can strike a deal with Cyan and become full fledged companies of our own, developing new games in the Myst mythos and in turn sharing profits with Cyan (albeit this would have to be worked out.) This would double the amount of Myst-related games in the market and give new writers and artists a chance to shine, opening up new stories in the franchise and bringing new players to the Myst universe. Something like this could triple the size of the community if such fan games were starting in new directions and had the arsenal of good artists and UE4 behind them.

I'll have to revise my Darka concept PDF to make it more concise, however I did start a blog over at darkagame.tumblr.com which I'm keeping on hand for when I return to the project.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:35 pm 

A reboot of URU in Unreal, that sounds too good to be true, so I'm going to wait for official word from Cyan before I accept that it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:20 am 

Personally I don't know about the Unreal reboot, I think not allowing Uru to be ported to other engines was just a way to prevent people from thinking they could freely reverse engineer the game and release any Cyan mesh into the wild.
I could be wrong, though, and I like the idea of an Uru reboot with updated graphics as much as anybody. That said, until Cyan proves otherwise, I think if this happens it will happen from the community, in one way or another.

With that said, I fully agree with Yali about Crimson/59 volts. Fan-content is what fueled the community for a long while, and it's going to keep doing so. No matter which form it takes (company or lone people doing an Age in a while), no matter the engine. If the community is alive, and if new content is being made, then people are more likely to stay or even return to Uru. Even if Cyan cannot afford to create new content themselves.

Oh, and I hope you manage to track down Andy. I really liked him, and loved following his experiments in both Unreal and Plasma.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:21 pm 

Remaking URU in unreal?
Working a bit in Unreal I can see how it could be done but the MMO mechanics of the game, characters, KI, and all that stuff is not free. A solo game done in Unreal with new story and content. Most of us would buy that and it could be profitable. And if Obduction gives the company new fans, why even a good idea to put a great product to market in a relative short time frame. An MMO though? hard to make it profitable...
I rather wish they did a solo game. I think...