It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:44 pm 

larryf58 wrote:
Some tips on overall design: We only have three examples of monograms in Uru. They are Yeesha's, the Tiwa monogram in Descent, and the repahts monogram above the city door in Descent. They show us an overall look for twining D'ni characters.

I know this is perhaps not all that important, but there are actually a couple more examples than that. Perhaps of particular interest, Teledahn has its own seal (image), incorporating a monogram of the age's name, which appears in multiple places around the age, as well as on the age's map. Unlike most of the other examples, in this case the monogram is not centred. Additionally, there's the design that has monograms of the four cardinal directions, which appears on the rugs in the Baron City Office (image) and on the lamps in the 'shroom office (image).

Like I said, this is minor, and I'm only bringing it up because of how these particular designs deviate from the basic layout of the others, which might provide greater insight into how the designs of the monograms can vary.

MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

True. I completely forgot about those. But the point was that we have a few examples of how D'ni characters are laid out as monograms to work with, but the only personal monogram is Yeesha's. Teledahn's symbol is the only example we have of a company logo.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Two versions of a request from Zesty for the Guild of Wizards. The only difference is the background. Both are 200 pixels larger than my usual monograms. She requested 800 x 800 pixels.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

they look stunning Larry. thank you very much :)

Last edited by ZestyOfXeniphers on Thu May 19, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

The four radial lines leading into stars on the metal cutout overlay are the magic wands you asked for. :D

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

As a variation on making monograms, I've begun playing with similar designs that illustrate D'ni words. There are three so far.

abxE , the word for basalt rock. (Abʦē)

ano , the word for water. (Ano)

Del , the word for star. (Del)

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yutiel Yoshi requested another monogram, this time in red and black. She loves dragon artwork, and wanted a design featuring one in tribal tattoo style. She had one picked out, but it was unusable because it was so loaded down with effects that I couldn't work it into anything else. I did a Google search and sent her the link to a lot of simple black and white dragon designs, and had her choose one.

She didn't know what I was going to do with the dragon she chose, because I didn't know what I was going to do with it until I started. This was my first draft, but as it happens, she likes it and I won't be changing it.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hawkster asked me for a design, but didn't reply when I asked him for the information I need to make one. So I hunted for a drawing and found a tribal tattoo hawk that looked nice. I threw together a disk using it and his name in D'nEnglish, with two purposes in mind. The first was to get me in the mood for making a monogram, and the second was to try to get him to respond.

As it turns out, it backfired. He responded by saying that he likes this one and will use it. The monogram is cancelled. :roll:

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Two more. The first one is a remake of my older design for RAWA, which I revised because it was an exercise in a technique for punching shapes into other shapes to make a cut-out effect. The basic shape mimics the tops of the Relto pedestals.

The second design is a simple monogram for RAWA's mother, Darlene. Her monogram is DAWA for DArlene WAtson. I call it simple because the mandala pattern ringing her monogram is stock art that I modified slightly. There are no personal elements.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

This was made for Karl Wood, who is a health care profession and likes technology and Star Trek. The color scheme was red and yellow. The insignia are for his profession, technology, and music. The center monogram is KW over a red cross, also to reflect his profession. The ring design is an overhead drawing of the space station from Deep Space 9.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:14 am 
Obduction Backer

I put this design together for a guy on Facebook who wanted a project to carve into wood. It just occurred to me that I hadn't made a colored graphic of it, so here it is.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

My latest doodle. I saw a steampunk graphic for a lunar phase clock, and it inspired me to make a clockwork calendar face design for the D'ni year. D'ni years are made up of ten months, each of which have twenty-nine days. In this picture, the clock is indicating the eighth day of the third month. In D'ni year 9400, A'gaeris and Veovis enacted their plan to destroy the D'ni empire on that day.

A D'ni year is called a har, a month is called a vālē, and a day is called a yar. There are no names for days or months. Instead, they are referred to by number. In the case of months, an alternate ordinal system is used, and their names are "first month, second month, third month" and so on. A shortened form of the word "month" is followed by the ordinal number.

In D'ni, that's lēfo, lēbro, lēsan, lētar, lēvot, lēvofo, lēvobro, lēvosan, lēvotar, and lēnovū. So now you know what the writing says. :D

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:50 am 
Obduction Backer

This is a D'ni precision chronometer to go with my clockwork calendar. It is meant to measure time in all of the known D'ni units. They are, from the outside ring and working inward:

Gartavotē: 1/5 of a day, also known as a "bell". A gartavo is 6 hours and 3 minutes long.

Partavotē: a D'ni hour. A partavo is 1 hour and 13 minutes long.

Tavotē: 1/4 hour. A tavo is 14 minutes and 30 seconds long.

Gorantē: 1/2 minute. A goran is 35 seconds long.

Prorantē: A D'ni second. A proran is 1 and 1/2 seconds long.

In Uru, the clocks in the neighborhoods / Relto and the clock in Ahnonay only show partavotē. You have to guess the smaller divisions.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13