It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi all, today I created this little ditty: Black Moiety

Its been a long time coming, but over the past... well... decade, I've been slowly developing the world of Tay and the Moiety society in the wake of Riven, primarily for my own enjoyment to imagine "What would happen to a tribal culture when exposed to the D'ni and the Art for 200 years?

While Myst is considered steampunk, I envision Tay as tribalpunk. A world begotten out of a need for refuge, an Age saved from the writing of Gehn, however Tay is a world which befits its people... rough and harsh, stark and beautiful. In developing how I envisioned Tay, I took inspiration from the lead directors of Riven, Robyn Miller and Richard Vander Wende, and tried to develop a world which fit their aesthetic. In doing so I realized I needed to explore the political and cultural evolution of the Moiety society, now closely linked with the fate of D'ni through Atrus and Katran.

I wrote two pieces of IC fanfiction as journals, one by Dr. Watson himself and one by my own character Adann, a Moiety native. Following this I began to sketch out a final map of the Age. Seeing as how I lack linguistic skills as well as illustration skills, I decided to open up my own fanfiction and creation to the Myst community. My intent is similar in line with that of the Narayani Collective, which sought to develop Narayani culture following the release of Myst III: Exile. Feeling as though Rivenese culture had been scarcely developed for Riven, I saw that there was much untapped potential for creativity and world building concerning Rivenese culture and what it would become following the destruction of the Fifth Age.

Hopefully this project can inspire interest in the Moiety Age and such a world and story could be turned into what I'd like to call "the first open-world Myst game". I've so far developed a lot of the geography of the Age, but have left a lot out, notably native flora and fauna, Moiety culture such as art, architecture, clothing, religion even to some extent.

There is a whole world out there I'd like to build and I see this as a ripe opportunity to start a fan collaboration. With Starry Expanse in development, interest in Riven may surge again within the next few years when it releases, then what better time to revisit the world of the Rivenese, of Gehn and the Moiety rebels.

I have also developed in this story an antagonist and twist to the overarching story which entertains the idea of "what happened to those loyal to Gehn back when Riven fell? Did they assimilate into Moiety society, or did they disperse... and wait, until the time was ripe?"

So that's about it. I hope you enjoy the website I've created so far.

Come join the forums if you're passionate about Riven and wish to construct a world! :D

Last edited by Yali on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Looks great, love to see things like this!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is just amazing, Yali!!! You've once again creatively and impressively outlined the foundations for a new world resp. an expanded vision or version of a renowned and highly valued one for all who'd love to lose and find themselves in it and feel excited about dreaming and expanding it even further ... Have much fun everyone ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks janaba! I uploaded two videos last night explaining a bit of the concepts and plans of the project:

Black Moiety - Introduction and Heightmap

Follow up video

Right now we're looking for artists and trying to strengthen our action plan. I have several people in the community championing the idea of bringing this to Cyan with the proposition of Kickstarting it and sharing the profits with them. This would alleviate work stress and speed things up. I have no idea what a fair deal would be in that circumstance... 50/50, 40 for us/60 for Cyan? Not sure. This will need to be figured out in terms of legalities.

Also I'm not sure about Cyan's stance on the Myst ip. I feel with the Myst TV show coming up I wouldn't want to conflict with any plans they have, but on the flip side I feel that this project could actually be beneficial to them in the long run. Riven was a very popular game and also a bit of a cult classic. I see the instant appeal of the Riven ip. Also there hasn't been much developed about Rivenese culture, furthermore my concept takes place during the time of Uru, so it's further removed from Riven. I would want this game to bring a lot of new and old fans together back to the Myst brand. I would want Cyan to have full veto power and approve the lore so that no one steps on anyone's toes. This game would expand upon the Myst universe and bring us to a new world, potentially releasing after Starry Expanse, bringing the Riven story full circle at an opportune time.

Still, if Kickstarter isn't an option, we could follow Starry Expanse's model and do a non-profit fan project made in our free time.

Still, I will need to talk to RAWA about all this, assuming he's doing better since the fall.

I talked with Zib from Starry Expanse about all this and he was very encouraging and gave me some good advice, which is to work on the project as best we can, prepare a proof for Cyan and then see where we go from there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

What a great and informative introductory tour through 'Tay' and your concepts and visions, Yali, and this whole project is really in the process of becoming more and more concrete and taking shape ... Wonderful ... :P

May many more feel inspired by this, and as I've said on the GoW forums, I wish you and your present and future team partners and co-creators the best of luck and success with everything you envision and aspire to accomplish and achieve ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yali wrote:

Still, I will need to talk to RAWA about all this, assuming he's doing better since the fall.

If you follow this link, Yali, you'll find a post from Tai'lahr and a link to RAWA's Caringbridge site. You'll see there how he's doing. http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28041&hilit=rawa&start=15#p421292

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Update: https://youtu.be/Qfy_ZTwGL58

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is just awesome, Yali and the Black Moiety team!!! ... :P

You're advancing and forging ahead quite fast right now, and I really like how you're describing everything, how you're envisioning and intending this world to be explored and received by future explorers, spelunkers etc., though this isn't really about cave exploration, right? ...

Everything looks and feels and sounds very interesting and intriguing, esp. as the main focus won't be on puzzle solving or violent action parts etc., but on real exploration, on more and more facts and details being revealed to everyone in many 'natural ways' and 'different venues and avenues', also by NPC encounters etc., as we proceed on our journey of exploration, means everything will unfold quite naturally, almost as if you were really there, without getting stuck unnecessarily, and thus being unable to proceed, without the solution of an intricate puzzle or so ... :)

The music part was absolutely beautiful and fitting, but it was too loud, so that I had to turn down the volume and couldn't hear your voice anymore, which happened for just a couple minutes or so, but I wanted to mention this ...

Yali, I believe this world will be really fascinating and wonderful to explore and indulge in for the whole community, when it'll be ready to be released, though it'll most probably take some time until then ... However, it is nice to see how this is now taking shape and becoming a definite reality ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:52 pm 

This project is amazing! I can't wait to be able to explore it! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Calumon, I've been trying to upload it for the past week now but my Unreal 4 Editor refuses to build the lighting or package the project, also my wifi is screwed up making the whole net freeze up whenever I upload anything. I'm looking into figuring out what's causing the packaging fails cause I want all of you to get an early look at the Age.

Edit: Here's an earlier build of the Wetlands: Welcome to Tay

I recently did a repass to shorten the foliage.

Also, we have a Facebook page now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was thinking that the grasses were too long slightly.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:38 am 

Yali wrote:
Calumon, I've been trying to upload it for the past week now but my Unreal 4 Editor refuses to build the lighting or package the project, also my wifi is screwed up making the whole net freeze up whenever I upload anything. I'm looking into figuring out what's causing the packaging fails cause I want all of you to get an early look at the Age.

Edit: Here's an earlier build of the Wetlands: Welcome to Tay

I recently did a repass to shorten the foliage.

Also, we have a Facebook page now.

Ah, yeah. The dreaded internet troubles. ^^; So frustrating whenever it happens.

I loved the walk through the wetlands! Visually, it reminded me a bit of Haven, with the walk through the plants and the sun shining down from above, but the music definitely made it all tie back to Riven again. :) Can't wait to see more!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Welcome to Tay - Grassland Pass <--- Updated video. Gonna burn the old video which YouTube ruined by trying to fix the shaky lag. : :lol:

Also: Image

Note: The D'ni text is temporary until we have a Rivenese script and font.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

How long is 'temporary' anyway... >.> <.<

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Good news! We just bought the domain name for Black Moiety.com. We're gonna redo the forums most likely (while keeping the same style and icons) but it will be better for security and formatting.

Here's what the new site is gonna look like: Link