It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
You're not sure just when it happened. But you must have still been young, before the worm rules of possible-or-not had burrowed through your mind, weakening its foundations and crumbling its pinnacles till only the familiar, the mundane remained standing.

-- Blue Lacuna, The Preludes

I had been hoping to post this after a "Season Two" announcement, giving Myst Online fans something to do for the remainder of the hiatus. Instead, I'll now throw this out there as an opportunity to remember that the spirit of Myst will never die.

My interactive novel, "Blue Lacuna," is currently in beta testing after two years of development. Some of you may remember "text adventures" or be active fans in the "interactive fiction" scene. "Blue Lacuna" is a massive text adventure that, like its predecessors, involves exploration and puzzle solving. But it also shares features with a novel, such as serious themes, a developing plot and pacing, and characters who grow and change.

"Blue Lacuna" is very much inspired by my love for the Myst franchise, and has much in common with it, including a vaguely fantastical universe, inventory-less puzzles, machines to fiddle with, and cool environments to explore. The initial idea was triggered by thinking about the pivotal choice at the end of Myst-- do you trust Sirrus or Achenar?-- and imagining a game where that choice came not at the end, but much earlier, and after you made it, you had to live with its consequences.

If any of this sounds interesting, I invite you to visit http://www.lacunastory.com and click "Mailing list." I'm particularly looking for people who enjoy Myst-like games but have never played interactive fiction before, but anyone and everyone who wants to help test is welcome.

With Myst Online shutting down, people might start saying once again that the adventure game is dead. But they'll be wrong. The ending is never written.

Last edited by aaronius on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:16 pm 

Wow! I have just finished reading the first of Preludes. I was hooked before the end of the first paragraph. Amazing writing! /me greatly appreciates your style and imagination :D

And know the place for the first time.
~T.S. Eliot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 am 
Obduction Backer

I, too, just finished the first of the Preludes. Very, very good, Aaron. :) I think I will sign up.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Glad you guys have enjoyed it! And it would be great to have some fresh eyes on the project. Feel free to PM or email me (see address at lacunastory.com) if you have any questions getting started. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:40 am 

aaronius wrote:
Glad you guys have enjoyed it! And it would be great to have some fresh eyes on the project. :)

Suggestion,

It might be a good idea to post an invitation on the old Uru ubi community, " The Surface – Off Topic Zone"

There are a few gamers over there who beleive they are "good" at writing.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5941034