It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

There is something strangely fun about a club fair in an ancient cavern of a bygone civilization :)

And as I wandered the booths, I wondered, 'What will I get to really do for each of these?' Three seconds later, I had an idea, but I'm not sure if even Cyan knows yet.

So I would like to open speculation here:

Eventually, Writers will get to design ages using D'ni script languages (think - The Shakespere programming language).
[spoiler]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare_(programming_language)[/spoiler]
The Maintainers will bug test them.

The Cartographers will study and help rationalize the story and technology in it.

The Messengers will get the word out on newly written ages.

The Greeters will say 'Hi!' to those that go to the ages (which is far more important than it sounds...)

There's planty more to speculate, but I'm particularly hopeful about the Writer and Cartographer guilds myself! Hopefully, each guild will get their own article of clothing, like the cartographers get hiking gear, the maintainers get the maintainer suit, etc. Uru could become a game that creates worlds for people to explore, developed, maintained, and supported by us! (With the plot content coming from Cyan, of course!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

i don't like the idea of having to chose one guild. If i want to be in two differants guild, noting should prevent that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:37 pm 

I am really looking forward to guilds although I have to admit I am unsure how the writers and maintainers will work out. The other guilds have an obvious place and already function in some real way in the cavern. While the function of the writers and maintainers is also obvious it isn't clear to me how those functions can be realized in URU anytime soon.

Once thing I have both disliked and liked about URU is the fact that everyone is equal. I wonder if being a guild member will change this? Will guilds get special privileges or powers?

Guilds usually have guild halls that only members can enter. We currently have neighborhoods that can be set up like that. I wonder if Cyan plans on us using 'hoods that way or if they will give the guilds their own halls somewhere? I'm not sure how D'ni guild residences worked but I think I remember in the books that guildsman lived outside the guild hall. Socially it would be nice to be both a 'hood member and a guild member. (Although they need to fix the KI soon if I'm going to get another huge list of people on there!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I didn't like the idea of needing to choose one guild at first, either. And it may not be needed for the typical player.

In order to be more involved, though, requires a certain level of commitment, and that time is not easily divvied up between guilds. Really, this is an old issue with guilds - there are perks to being in one, but you lose the ability to be quite as free an agent. In many games, this has been a good move, and I think if we're working to restore D'ni, this will foster an interesting caste system.

... Of course, Yeesha may be right and this whole caste structure is a bad thing. After all, these guilds could change the way the player interact with each other. Could prove interesting for Cyan to play out the politicking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:55 pm 

Quote:
Eventually, Writers will get to design ages using D'ni script languages (think - The Shakespere programming language).

That's a huge pipe dream and it will probably never happen in the next ten or twenty years.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:42 pm 

HCIdivision17 wrote:
[spoiler]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare_(programming_language)[/spoiler]

I've posted a log of the Guild of Writers QA session on UruObsession here

More information is and will be available on the HuruStudio blogsite http://blog.hurustudio.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

This tool is what I was hoping would come up, but I didn't know so much work had already gone into it! It's cool to see it's already well underway!

As for the reference to the Shakespeare Language, nothing should ever be written in D'ni Art language, only outputted (totally aesthetic). Blender's good at exporting, and I've been using Radiance a lot lately (lighting physics simulator/renderer), which has the unfortunate feature of being entirely built on text files. The export tool Blender uses to output to Radiance would be analogous. But, yeah, it'd be a pain to build, but also no doubt fun for D'ni Linguists to dabble in.

And a Linguist guild would be cool, assuming the Writers focused on Ages, not history. They would be the ones to make such a translator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hmmmm.... 5 Avies. 5 Guilds.... Only problem I see is the only programming I can do ends in an infinite loop...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:18 pm 

Ja'de wrote:
Only problem I see is the only programming I can do ends in an infinite loop...

:shock:

Really. That's very odd.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok, My infinite loop can't end but I do 'break' it. :cry:

I'm having a 'duh' day.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]