It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

OK! Sign me up!

I know NOTHING about coding or programming.

However...all of my jobs have always been in the front-end grunt style of worker in technical fields. (Currently I help people resolve issues with their Polycom video equipment.) So I can be instructed on how to do stuff (take this file, do xyz to it, upload it here, etc) and do it thoroughly and well.

I also love anything creative, and would enjoy doing stuff with color and lighting, especially choosing the colors. (For instance I hate how in the light of Teledahn, the bright tee shirts I wear always turn greeny-yellow. Now of course, Teledahn is supposed ot do that, but the cause and effect thing is really cool. I would want any future land to continue to consider how the environment affects light and colors in that land, and have the colors react accordingly.

I am not tied in to any one set of ideas or views...well...ok, I am partial to the idea that at least ONE land would have a nice beach. But I suppose we could get a beach area somewhere eventually!

Whatever ideas we come up with, if we were able to give it a good head start with the addition to the story line, and the supporting codes and software and artwork....I would feel confident that at least some of the projects would be something Cyan could work with, and maybe even someday introduce to the game!

Start with a story (or a chapter), add the idea of a place or a setting....and make up about 100 of those ideas just to start. Heck, we could come up with those within a month! Everyone in this game always seems to have a lot of really neat ideas.

Once we have a bunch of those ideas, (call them proposed Idea Projects), we then could look at the popularity/feasibility of actually doing some real work, such as the programming and artwork side of things.

Then take the semi-finished projects to Cyan and see if they would like to use anything. No point in finishing the entire project if Cyan does not choose to or care to incorporate any of this.

I envision the GoW actually assisting in really adding to the game of Uru, really helping Cyan, and not just another fan site that likes to imagine their own additions.

The idea of different levels is kinda cute too.....but with the flow of work I would not be surprised if a lot of people wanting to be GoW members were all at the beginning, and with less people actually participating later on as the work gets real.

While the GoW is gathering together ideas , well so many people have so many Fantastic ideas, that that part of the process would be really popular. Later, as a projct starts to actually be developed, there would be fewer people. Becuase then people would have to choose to do real work, possibly affecting some other part of their RL activities, and as it has been said, not everyone is a coder/programmer.

I think to help utilize all those great ideas swimming out there....that if our own website could be started, we have a place on the forum, or some way of suggesting new content.

Maybe we could have our own section in the regular forums? Each guild has its own section?
Seperate from Suggestions or General area or whatever, each guild would have its own section/subject.
And the moderators could sticky a couple of topics at top, one would be for GoW guidelines, etc, and another for everyone from Uru to contribute their ideas.

People who love Uru and have great ideas would not feel like they have to be a member of the GoW to contribute. Take everyone's ideas and put them together in one place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:49 am 

I hate to say it, but this is becoming too political already. You are already talking about who, or at least how to decide who will be in charge.

The guild of writers will be the channel that age writers need to go through to get an age considered by Cyan, as well as the source of all information, and age writing tools. So I am wandering if you guys would consider allowing access to tools and resources to people who aren't interested in guilds, politics or anything except slowly working on building an age.

Also access to the section of what ever forum where people get feedback on their work, would be really good as well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:51 am 

Quote:
I hate to say it, but this is becoming too political already. You are already talking about who, or at least how to decide who will be in charge.

The guild of writers will be the channel that age writers need to go through to get an age considered by Cyan, as well as the source of all information, and age writing tools. So I am wandering if you guys would consider allowing access to tools and resources to people who aren't interested in guilds, politics or anything except slowly working on building an age.

I wouldn't worry about it too much -- If actual age writing ever happens, I'm sure there will be a number of people (myself included) who write ages on their own without bothering with all the Guild politics and membership and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Auzho wrote:

I believe Tiran has already stated – if not here, then in another of the Guild-related threads – that the tools they develop would be available to the public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:13 am 

Alahmnat wrote:
I believe Tiran has already stated – if not here, then in another of the Guild-related threads – that the tools they develop would be available to the public.

I'm sorry. I was just asking. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:54 am 

Auzho wrote:

I like to see the politics reduce to a annoying but necessary minimum. Some people like to play role play style (In Cavern) and I want to give them the chance to play their game. Personally I see us as a group of artists and developers which aren't interested in power and politics until someone is trying to diminish our freedom.

The majority of the tools and resources are hopefully available to everyone. You are free to use them and develop your ages. Some people or Cyan might decide that certain resources like textures or objects are only available for guild members or at least designated for Uru only.

Cyan might also decide that an age creator has to go through proper channels to get an age into Uru in order to reduce the payload for Cyan. One has to go through the Guild Of Writers because we have the resources and knowledge the check an age before it goes to the Guild Of Maintainers for end user tests. For example we check the Python code for harmful bugs and malicious code that might destroy vault of the testing instance.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:47 pm 

Tiran wrote:
You are right. The GoW needs more than just coders. Have you read my *whole* posting? I already said that in the last paragraph.

Yes, yes I have. I wasn't being critical, just developing in my own words my feelings along the same line. =) Sorry if I offended you, or whatnot.

I think Tiran's phases are a good starting point. Is there anything we can do to help progress through Phase 0? E.g. Scouting forum areas, making contact? Or maybe taking up the Assembly of Guilds on their offer, so we have a formal space for the time being.

I'd love to be able to step into Phase 1 as soon as possible, I'm psyched up for the GoW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:10 pm 

MattyQ wrote:
Yes, yes I have. I wasn't being critical, just developing in my own words my feelings along the same line. =) Sorry if I offended you, or whatnot.

I think Tiran's phases are a good starting point. Is there anything we can do to help progress through Phase 0? E.g. Scouting forum areas, making contact? Or maybe taking up the Assembly of Guilds on their offer, so we have a formal space for the time being.

I'd love to be able to step into Phase 1 as soon as possible, I'm psyched up for the GoW.

Non taken :D
I tend to skip the last paragraphs of a long posting sometimes.

I like to stay at mystonline.com to have the discussion in the official forum for Uru. I hope Greydragon is going to add the sections as soon as he has some spare time early next week.

In the mean time you can try to get people together and direct them to this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:42 pm 

I would love to help as creative consultant/idea man for people in the Guild. I have a knack with words, as well as taking the ball and running with it, so don't be afraid to send in any rabid plot bunnies that you have, and would like input on.

Jairden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:55 pm 

Shorah,

first I will thank Tiran and Robert for contacting me and give me more informations about your plan.
I have discussed this with our team and I can say here, we want to support it.

We are a team of agewriters with the following members:

Itep Edor (Switzerland) (our "GuildCaptain"),
Katzi (Germany),
Edwin (Germany),
Rich (Austria)
and I, Old Wolle (Germany).

Our current age we create is Takla Ma'kan. Version 2 is ready and we work at Version 3.
Also Itep Edor has written the ages Janga and JangaLela and some ages like Takla Ma'kan 2, Ria or Balayndar are planned or in the beginning.

Jonnee, the creator of Jo'nae and Jo'naeHood, is unfortunately away since an half year.
We hope, he comes back.

We have no interests to be a GuildMaster and we hate political discussions.
And we don't want a tournament with other agebuilder-teams.
We have fun to write ages and we do this in our free time. Without stress or pressure of time.

When you want to see some pictures of our worlds, you can take a look in our forum. The adress is http://huru.info/Forum
It's a german language forum but as a registered user you can change the language to english.
Also we have an english corner there.
You must not be a registered user to see the pics in the Album, only when you want to post or download something.

And at least I hope, my english post is not so bad and you can read it without problems. :D

Wolle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:08 pm 

Shorah Guild of Writers,

The Guild of Maintainers will be holding a meeting this evening, at 8PM Cavern Time, in Men In Black's Bevin. We had a very productive conversation with Robert the Rebuilder last night. If there are more things you would like to discuss with us, please come join us. I'm sure we will have some questions for you folks as well.

Thanks, and hope to see you in the Cavern.

--Jishin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:33 pm 

Thats to late for me. 4 o'clock in the night in germany. :cry:

Eventuelly can someone make a chatlog?

Wolle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 pm 

I'll try to be there, no promises, but hopefully at least one GoW representative will be around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:40 pm 

I like to see future meetings at a more European friendly time. Around 1pm or 2pm Cavern Time is a good time here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:51 pm 

Tiran -- that is the plan for the future. We had a meeting yesterday at 11am Cavern Time. I'm sure that will be incorporated as we move ahead. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next