It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
A log of today's meeting will be posted shortly by Robert The Rebuilder.

It answers a lot of questions and should help set the record straight about the Guild of Writers.

Ah, good. I wanted to attend, but life in the form of an elderly cat with kidney failure prevented me.

Katreeny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:43 am 

Paradox wrote:
A log of today's meeting will be posted shortly by Robert The Rebuilder.

It answers a lot of questions and should help set the record straight about the Guild of Writers.

Sorry for my ignorance; I've been out of the discussion for a while. Is the Guild of Writers in your signature the same as the Guild of Writers from the title of this thread? Maybe that's one of the questions RtR answered.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry, Owehn - didn't answer that question.

But you can read the chat logs here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:45 pm 

Hello GoW,

I just had a question I haven't seen you folks address. What are the GoW's plans for IC participation in the Cavern? Just curious, since I haven't seen you talk about it anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

IC is a tricky thing, given:

- We cannot create ages within MO:UL (e.g. there's no writing table with a special GUI)
- We cannot explore fan-created ages within MO:UL
- We do not have an IC language to describe OOC aspects of age creation(geometry, textures, material/lighting, sounds, animation, scripting, journals)

I think the only thing we can do in an IC manner is meet in cavern to discuss guild-related aspects. But as soon as we get into age creation specifics, we'd have to switch to OOC.

And I also think that, when discussing aspects of an age, using an IC language will only hinder the understanding. For example, suppose a Maintainer discovered an issue with an age produced by a Writer...

Maintainer: When I pulled the lever in your age, I blacked out.
Writer: You should see a doctor about that problem - I'm afraid I cannot help you.
Maintainer: Okay, okay - Uru crashed.
Writer: Now we're talking! Give me your Python logs and I'll see what I can do.

Anyone else have any thoughts about IC-ness and the unofficial Guild of Writers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

right. IC and immersive speech is great, up until you get to talking about technical issues, and then it is useless.

Myself (as one of the 'be immersive dangnabbit! peoples) wouldn't expect IC in those situations.

What I think of is IC conversations like this:

Explorer: It's such a magnificent age! Did you write it?
Writer: Yes, I did. It took many hours bent over a desk with pen in hand, finding just the right gahro-hevtee for the effect I wanted.

rather than

Explorer: It's such a magnificent age, did you write it?
Writer: Yes, it took 46 hours in Blender, and I couldn't get the textures just right, and the lighting was a PITB.

See the difference? As far as participation in the cavern, it is as simple as

"The Guild of Writers announces that the Book of Wheehoo is now available for exploration, you can find it in our library at (url here)"

rather than

"The Age of Wheehoo is available for download at (url here)"

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with Eleri. Use IC as best as possible, unless you're talking about technical details.

It's much more fun to talk about Writing in an IC way IMO. Like we're really the new D'ni Writers. It sounds much cooler than when you're talking about Blender and stuff, though it's inevitable at times.

Use IC speech if you can, but don't exaggerate (like Robert's doctor example).
Also use OOC speech, but don't exaggerate (don't use OOC when you really don't have to).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

"Technical" covers a lot of ground, though. These are all OOC design discussions:

"I wanted the light to look sort of misty, so I added some faint beams coming down from overhead."

"So you come around the corner and see, not just one pyramid, but eight of them stretching away into the distance. And it was really important that the doorway positions you right on that sight line."

"I was trying to completely blur the transition between indoors and outdoors. So you start in a hallway with tall slit windows, and by the time you reach the far end it's a gazebo with freestanding pillars."

"I needed to add a shortcut back to the bottom platform after you knock down the ladder. It was just too boring to make the player run back and forth. That's why the railing collapses."

None of these are about Blender, but they're design-stance statements.

(In-character, the railing collapses because it's *rusty*. But this is less interesting to me! As I've probably said before, I don't mind some IC playing, but I have more *fun* thinking about games OOC -- that's just how I approach questions of game design.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Hello!

I think the ideas themselves well lend themselves to how we should be organized.

Concentrate for a 1-5 weeks on gathering ideas. Sooo many people from all over Uru would love to contribute ideas, every player seems to be inventive and creative! I would definately invite everyone to contribute here, because an idea would take no time r effort, and who knows where a fantastic idea can come from. Once a lot of people have added their idea, and the idea part is over (temporarily), I am sure intrest in the guild would wane a little.

Then...argue (for a set limited time, say 1-2 weeks) on which ideas to start implementing. I would imagine we would vote for the ten most popular age ideas, and then start working on those. Then again....we could do one at a time....or two...but I do not see it being very effective to do more than 10 or 12....it would spread everyone out too thin.

Right away there will be one kind of division....not everyone can work on all ideas at the same. You could possibly end up with ten or so different teams all deciding how best to run their team...plus some ideas will need more people than some other ideas. People could volunteer for which idea they would prefer to work with.
The hard part for that is, I am afraid there would be more creative people available as compared to how many programmers/coders would be available. I hate to imagine programmers being told which assignemnt to work on....but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Then, bring an idea together as a proposal. Develop a script, puzzle ideas (including possible soultions), rewards, how it plays with the ongoing story of Uru, how to best start developing code, background ideas, cause and effect issues (if the sky is yellowish as in Teledahn, how will that affect the colors?), etc, etc.

I guess my point is....the structure of our group might be more influenced by the work itself. Plus the nature of the work would be more like....an assembly line, than of a medevil guild with apprentices and journeymen and masters. (If I stay in the city a year and a day, do I get to go free? LOL!) But I do see where not everyone is an expert at all things. So I would imagine I would be an apprentice in anything technical, but maybe a journeyman in coloring.

I would like to begin the gathering of ideas, starting with the ages some people have already written independantly. Lets see where we get with ideas...and then try to determine the best way to implement.

One big question I still have....would Cyan be serious about adding an age we wrote to the game? It might appear on the bookshelf someday? Or as a linking point from the Nexus?
If we hope to add to the game in such a manner, we need all of our work to be very professional!

Personally, I cant wait to be an apprentice coder, whatever that is. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:38 am 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
"Technical" covers a lot of ground, though. These are all OOC design discussions:

"I wanted the light to look sort of misty, so I added some faint beams coming down from overhead."

"So you come around the corner and see, not just one pyramid, but eight of them stretching away into the distance. And it was really important that the doorway positions you right on that sight line."

"I was trying to completely blur the transition between indoors and outdoors. So you start in a hallway with tall slit windows, and by the time you reach the far end it's a gazebo with freestanding pillars."

"I needed to add a shortcut back to the bottom platform after you knock down the ladder. It was just too boring to make the player run back and forth. That's why the railing collapses."

Those first three don't sound entirely ooc though. They *could* be a writer talking about what effect he was trying to achieve with the gahro-hevtee. The last one is a bit more technical sounding, but change 'player' to 'explorer' or 'visitor' and it passes pretty closely, enough to not be jarring in a mostly-immersive conversation.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:33 pm 

Er.. hello..? *peeks in*

I've been reading up on this guild (as much as I can get in at work) and I think I'd be pretty suited to help out.. but I'm not sure who to talk to or where to begin because of all of this official/unofficial who/what/where discussion.. :oops:

Is there an official GoW, or just a tee shirt with a name and lots of tiny unofficial spots to meet people? ^^;; I am getting confused by all the threads and lengthy debates.

In any case, some of you old-timers might remember me from the old sound & light contest.. I'm a graphic designer by degree.. but also an illustrator, a 3d artist for hobby, and a programmer for fun, though that is soemthing I've been slacking on lately. Also currently for a living I use CAD to design architectural elements.. so this all sounds right up my alley. :D

Anyone can pm me on here to chat.. (or heck..pointing me to a place where I can get started would rock. lol) Thanks! <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah, EllChan!

There will not be an official GoW for "months/years", because the DRC/Cyan cannot currently support it. So, we're advocating the launch of an unofficial GoW. These forums are the agreed-upon discussion area for this.

To help us define the UGoW, stop by the following topics and register your opinion:

Note: the most up-to-date list of Unofficial Guild of Writers topics is kept here:

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 031#199031

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:56 pm 

(An important bit of information for newcomers)

Also, though we can't create Ages for MOUL, we can create them for Uru: Complete Chronicles. So it's not futile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:17 pm 

Old Wolle wrote:
Shorah,

first I will thank Tiran and Robert for contacting me and give me more informations about your plan.
I have discussed this with our team and I can say here, we want to support it.

We are a team of agewriters with the following members:

Itep Edor (Switzerland) (our "GuildCaptain"),
Katzi (Germany),
Edwin (Germany),
Rich (Austria)
and I, Old Wolle (Germany).

Our current age we create is Takla Ma'kan. Version 2 is ready and we work at Version 3.
Also Itep Edor has written the ages Janga and JangaLela and some ages like Takla Ma'kan 2, Ria or Balayndar are planned or in the beginning.

Jonnee, the creator of Jo'nae and Jo'naeHood, is unfortunately away since an half year.
We hope, he comes back.

We have no interests to be a GuildMaster and we hate political discussions.
And we don't want a tournament with other agebuilder-teams.
We have fun to write ages and we do this in our free time. Without stress or pressure of time.

When you want to see some pictures of our worlds, you can take a look in our forum. The adress is http://huru.info/Forum
It's a german language forum but as a registered user you can change the language to english.
Also we have an english corner there.
You must not be a registered user to see the pics in the Album, only when you want to post or download something.

And at least I hope, my english post is not so bad and you can read it without problems. :D

Wolle

This is what I would advise to all of the interesting people in the Writers Guild. Download this world, enjoy the puzzles and decide what kind of very nice new world this is. Discuss TaklaMakan in this forum for further informations.

Downlaod TaklaMakan here: http://huru.info/Forum

Kind regards

Joorea

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12