It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

OK - I just don't want you to get discouraged.

If what you want to do means a change in something in the game, whether or not you use volunteer resources (people), it still takes effort on the part of the game developers. We'll translate that to "time and money". It also may not be in line with what Cyan's view of the game is - their game design, their "vision".

I'm not unsympathetic - everyone wants to be a game developer, at least in a small way. But - I'm serious about this - I don't want people to get discouraged. You may have the best ideas in the world, but it may not be something that Cyan either can do, or wants to do. Hence my suggestion for, if it's possible, coming up with things people can do in the game, all by themselves, to make things different. I don't know if that's "possible" - just a thought.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:57 am 

mszv wrote:
OK - I just don't want you to get discouraged.

If what you want to do means a change in something in the game, whether or not you use volunteer resources (people), it still takes effort on the part of the game developers. We'll translate that to "time and money". It also may not be in line with what Cyan's view of the game is - their game design, their "vision".

I'm not unsympathetic - everyone wants to be a game developer, at least in a small way. But - I'm serious about this - I don't want people to get discouraged. You may have the best ideas in the world, but it may not be something that Cyan either can do, or wants to do. Hence my suggestion for, if it's possible, coming up with things people can do in the game, all by themselves, to make things different. I don't know if that's "possible" - just a thought.

Take care.

First of all, I AM a game developer.

Second: Personally, I never get discouraged. I have a long history of voicing ideas that nobody listens to. You learn to not get attached, and just move on. I am a problem solver. As such I can only suggest a solution. I cannot make someone apply it. I trade on my ideas for a living, so I've had some experience here.

As in any form of communication, one can only put ones ideas out there and hope that people think they're good. The GoId will strive to make things as detailed and clear as possible. As to whether Cyan or the community will be interested in any of our stuff, we cannot predict. Anyone who contributes to the Guild will be aware of this, but invariably, some people WILL get discouraged. It's human nature. We're all different.

I understand "time and money" only too well. If I say something will cost a certain amount, I am generally referring to man-hours. Time is the most valuable resource in my life, and it certainly is for most businesses, especially one working to deadlines with half the necessary staff.

The Guild of Ideas site is now live! :D There's nothing there at the moment, but stuff should be appearing almost immediately. Just click my sig and have a look. ALL are welcome. Just create a user account and you are a member of the Guild. No complicated officer structure here! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't want this to be a dialogue between just "us two" (everyone jump in!), but I think it's great that at least one game developer is playing Uru Live! Wow, all sorts of people are here.

OK - I got it. Good luck - great guild!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:40 pm 

mszv I don't think you need to really worry about anyone getting discouraged. :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:47 pm 

Just joined!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:40 pm 

Mysthral wrote:
Just joined!

I'm in as well.

I think we should start a list of people we think are the best and most prolific thinkers and encourage them to join. I'll start:

(in no particular order)
vid
Dalken Starbyne
Marten
JWPlatt
J.D.Barnes
Thend
reteltee
Eleri
Whilyam
DonOlanA
Serephina
Sorceress
Alahmnat
graydragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:29 pm 

For those who have expressed interest in the Guild, please join us! We want your input!

After Dr. Watson's wonderful speech, we are more positive about the GoId than ever!

The site has only been live for a week now, so there's not a lot there at the moment, but there will be lot's of stuff coming in the next week.

My first contribution will be to outline my plan for "Bringing Back The Magic" as hinted at here. if you want to be in on the development of this, come join us.

If you have a mind, we want you! No other skills necessary. Just click my sig to join us.

Last edited by subumbra on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 pm 

I'm an author of novels, a commercial storyteller. Now, you tell me if I have this correct.

The Guild of Ideas performs 2 tasks: 1--mostly critiquing the status quo and offering, and sometimes creating, suggested changes. 2--suggesting and creating new concepts, ideas, content, direction, etc.

#1 doesn't interest me too much, and it's like banging your head against a wall, isn't it? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I think a lot of the problem of the Guilds started when the Guild of Writers assumed an IC name. Programmers and designers do not "write" in the real world. If they write a program, they call it "writing a program." it's qualified. If I tell you that I am a "writer," you don't think I write code, you think I write words. Here, the GOW folks write Ages, of course. Now, they are the Unofficial Guild of Writers, as I understand it.

I think the Guilds should be specific. Since they are Guilds, they should all be run in a similar manner so they can create together and share visions. Artists should be graphics or fine artists. Authors should be prose writers (verbal or written). I think Age Writers should be called Age Writers, but I guess it is too late for that.

You wouldn't lump plumbers in with car mechanics, so you can't lump artists in with writers in with technology geeks.

As far as what to create and work on: I think a Master Project or two should be decided by us all. Then the project is circulated for work by each Guild, as many times as it takes to get it perfect. I think it's better to have a master project that various elements work on, then putting all the elements in one Guild to work on many projects.

Anyway, all that said, where do I belong? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:26 pm 

Romer Openfield wrote:
As far as what to create and work on: I think a Master Project or two should be decided by us all. Then the project is circulated for work by each Guild, as many times as it takes to get it perfect. (That's looking ahead.)

Anyway, all that said, where do I belong? :)

Well a Master Project decided by EVERYONE is never going to happen. Too many people, too many opinions.

But the GoId plans to submit fully worked out ideas that can be implemented by anyone, including other Guilds. That sounds pretty close to what you're talking about.

I think you belong with us, my friend. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:18 pm 

Yes, indeed, that's a good take on my general idea, and a good mission for the Guild.

Okay, I'm with you. Where's the sign-up sheet and when does the relentless hazing begin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:38 pm 

Romer Openfield wrote:
The Guild of Ideas performs 2 tasks: 1--mostly critiquing the status quo and offering, and sometimes creating, suggested changes. 2--suggesting and creating new concepts, ideas, content, direction, etc.

#1 doesn't interest me too much, and it's like banging your head against a wall, isn't it? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty much. It's also the fundamental thesis of critical theory and most all design disciplines. :lol:

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:54 pm 

Not to mention the source of the Mars face and spontaneous human combustion!

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:09 am 

Did I miss a link somewhere? Where is the site? No pub yet, tho, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:02 am 

Romer Openfield wrote:
Did I miss a link somewhere? Where is the site? No pub yet, tho, right?

Click on subumbra's signature banner, above.

No, no pub; we're not an official guild.

Yet. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:45 pm 

Thanks! Fingers-crossed!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next