It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Guilds
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 pm 
Offline
Cyan Employee

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:21 pm
Posts: 885
Image

Remember, the guild system will change in the future. Feel free to talk to each other about what you would like to see in a guild system. Cyan has a plan for what it wants the system to be and we hope to show you that plan in the future.

_________________
Ryan Warzecha (greydragon)
Obduction Project Manager


Last edited by greydragon on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 3120
Location: Aachen, Germany
Thank you very much for creating the guild section for us. :)

Can you elaborate on how we should proceed to create an official guild? How should we "register" a guild and its members?

_________________
Image
[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:19 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:30 pm
Posts: 1409
Location: Canadian lost in Nebraska
That's still quite a ways off....

But a few tips.

The Guild of Greeters is a good example of a guild that was created and then later recognized by Cyan as "official." I don't see it being changed very much at all by Cyan to fit the story in the future. Look closely at their structure and formation for ideas.

Also, the creation of any guild (particularly any relating the the other "Big Four" beside GoG) will not guarantee its "official-ness." The "official" place of any guild will always be at Cyan's future discretion. (Or perhaps the DRC's if it relates directly to the story.)

Cooperation, collaboration, good structure, and a few clearly defined goals will go a long way towards helping establish a new guild's place in the Uru-verse. (We really don't want to see power struggles arise as people attempt to greedily carve out a place for themselves in Uru's story.)

Remember, Cyan needs everyone's help to make the guilds work in the future. As this point, it's mostly still the simple spark of an idea.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Reverend Vader on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:26 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:59 am
Posts: 886
Location: Healing and Lifelong Learning
Wooow...

This is really great!

Let the collaboration and creativity begin!

_________________
We are the shapers and the caretakers of this metaverse. How we honor ourselves and others largely determines what we bring into being.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 3120
Location: Aachen, Germany
Reverend Vader wrote:
Cooperation, collaboration, good structure, and a few clearly defined goals will go a long way towards helping establish a new guild's place in the Uru-verse. (We really don't want to see power struggles arise as people attempt to greedily carve out a place for themselves in Uru's story.)


We - a bunch of people from several age creation related groups plus some non affiliated - don't want to see the GoW as a place for politics and struggle, too. We also don't want that some people are grabbing the name without consolidating with others.

_________________
Image
[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:08 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Virginia, US
GreyDragon:

Thank you for providing a central place to discuss guild matters. Already, this new forum is abuzz with topics. We clearly needed an outlet for our ideas and concerns.

If you're willing to entertain a few suggestions, please look over the items below.
  • Add subforums for the Cartographers, Maintainers, Messengers, and Writers. Leave this main forum for general guild discussion. [Note: I left Greeters off the list since they have had their own forums for quite sometime, but feel free to add a subforum for them if you think it is appropriate.]
  • Appoint moderators for this and the subforums. A natural choice would be Reteltee, of course. The subforums could be moderated by a representative from each guild.

Again - thanks for your help, GreyDragon!

_________________
KI #: 1299


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:27 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:58 am
Posts: 582
Reverend Vader wrote:
Also, the creation of any guild (particularly any relating the the other "Big Four" beside GoG) will not guarantee its "official-ness." The "official" place of any guild will always be at Cyan's future discretion. (Or perhaps the DRC's if it relates directly to the story.)

....

Remember, Cyan needs everyone's help to make the guilds work in the future. As this point, it's mostly still the simple spark of an idea.


This is really important to remember. Anything official is Cyan's call. Be careful about investing huge amounts of effort and energy into a Guild structure when it is possible that Cyan may decide it wants something completely different. That way lies the broken ruins of groups like the DRC Liaisons. It might be best to think of this period as an extended brainstorming period.

_________________
Your story is Unwritten.
Unwritten - Adventures in the Ages of Myst and Beyond
MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:59 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:01 pm
Posts: 1890
"Be careful about investing huge amounts of effort and energy into a Guild structure when it is possible that Cyan may decide it wants something completely different."

But equally: be careful about waiting for Cyan to invest lots of effort before you invest any.

_________________
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 134
Wow, I'm looking forward to what the guilds could become :)

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
[list][*]Add subforums for the Cartographers, Maintainers, Messengers, and Writers. Leave this main forum for general guild discussion. [Note: I left Greeters off the list since they have had their own forums for quite sometime, but feel free to add a subforum for them if you think it is appropriate.]

There's one problem with that - phpBB2 which is used here doesn't support subforums. You'd need a patch for that, or update to phpBB3. However it was my first thought, too ;-)

_________________
I'll probably not notice PMs on this forum. You can contact me via email: "diafero arcor de" (add at and dot to complete the address).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:10 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 1:17 am
Posts: 1700
Location: Spokane, WA
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
If you're willing to entertain a few suggestions, please look over the items below.

The decision was made to make this forum a very general place to talk about the Guilds, and as such, we won't be adding new sub-forums or moderators to this board. Groups are more than welcome, however, to manage themselves (with the understanding that nothing is official yet) on separate websites and forums. :)

Not saying your suggestions are bad, I'm just laying down what decisions were already made regarding this forum's purpose :).

_________________
Grand Master
Guild of Archivists


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:34 pm
Posts: 1127
Location: Sweden
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
[list][*]Add subforums for the Cartographers, Maintainers, Messengers, and Writers. Leave this main forum for general guild discussion. [Note: I left Greeters off the list since they have had their own forums for quite sometime, but feel free to add a subforum for them if you think it is appropriate.]
The Cartographers have had their forum for some time too. ;)
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... ct=SF&f=65

_________________
ImageKI: 59666
http://www.uruobsession.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:23 pm
Posts: 295
Location: California
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
GreyDragon:

Thank you for providing a central place to discuss guild matters. Already, this new forum is abuzz with topics. We clearly needed an outlet for our ideas and concerns.

If you're willing to entertain a few suggestions, please look over the items below.
  • Add subforums for the Cartographers, Maintainers, Messengers, and Writers. Leave this main forum for general guild discussion. [Note: I left Greeters off the list since they have had their own forums for quite sometime, but feel free to add a subforum for them if you think it is appropriate.]
  • Appoint moderators for this and the subforums. A natural choice would be Reteltee, of course. The subforums could be moderated by a representative from each guild.
Again - thanks for your help, GreyDragon!

Um ... [coff!] Assembly of Guilds.

Already done. Explorer-moderated so eventual leaders can moderate their own sub-forums. Private areas also can be had for members-only discussion. Reteltee is already a moderator over there and endorses it.

http://uruguilds.org/uruguilds/index.php

_________________
Image
Montgomery - Maintainer Grand Master of Inspections (ret.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 pm
Posts: 1115
/cheer!!!! What a wonderful new concept to bring into Uru!

And... with the release of official age writing tools (hopefully!), Yeesha will get some SERIOUS competition! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:19 pm
Posts: 1161
Having a forum for guilds here is a good idea.

If someone is interested in joining a guild, he/she can find the info here, links the guild website. And well, guilds might sometimes need to speak with each other :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:30 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 1671
Location: Seattle, WA
GD on Wed, Aug 1
Quote:
The process of forming a guild is something that will be debated by its members forever. We (Cyan) don’t have the guild systems in place at this time. We (Cyan) aren’t going to say who should be guild masters for each guild. Heck, at this time we aren’t going to control them in any form. It doesn’t mean that you (the community) can’t take it upon) yourself to do so.


GD on Mon, Aug 6
Quote:
Remember, the guild system will change in the future. Feel free to talk to each other about what you would like to see in a guild system. Cyan has a plan for what it wants the system to be and we hope to show you that plan in the future.



Examining these two statements, it seems Cyan is saying:

"Go ahead and plan, and make a Guild of *whatever*, but we'll be making our own system in the future, when we're ready."

What assurances do any of us have that any effort put towards building a guild, of any structure, will mean anything when Cyan launches 'official' Guilds? Why are we being asked to do work, when something different will be used by the Cyan in the future?

Shouldn't we be *WAITING* to organize, until Cyan shows us what their system is? Or are people putting cart before horse in their enthusiasm for the word GUILD?

_________________
Storyteller, Creatrix, and maker of general mayhem
Unwritten RPG: http://www.unwrittenrpg.com/
KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: