It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:00 pm 

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
Tiran: I should have clarified on the original post. We need a forum where we have moderator privileges, e.g., so that we can sticky important items. If we posted things here, it would get lost in the sea of other posts. That's why mystonline.com doesn't qualify.

I still believe that MystOnline.com is sufficient for Phase 0 and Phase 1 (http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 249#193249). We won't have many threads if we restrict ourself to discuss basics only. We have to lay down a foundation for the GoW before we can move to more concrete tasks.

For example there is no need to discuss the communication channels with the GoMa today because we don't have to deal with them today. The GoMa gets involved as soon as we are discussing age development. People are trying to solve every problem at once but that won't work. Let's restrain ourself to do it one step after another. Divide and conquer. ;)

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with Tiran. MystOnline.com will certainly hold us over until we can find a more permanent website, perhaps with tools built in to allow us to coordinate age building. Of course, once that comes we will set up whatever organization of forums that we want, but for now discussion can easily take place here. This forum is also a lot easier for new players to find. If we want to get support, it's better to have information about us on the main Myst Online website rather than our own, which would be harder to find.

Quote:
I've mentioned it multiple times in the past; the GoW needs a completely fresh start. It needs a brand new forum, not a merge of other forums, or an old forum renamed.

We need to start completely from scratch and leave past drama behind us.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, and I think that the GoW needs something like that, but while it is being set up, we can use these forums (as Tiran has been suggesting).

Dovahn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:11 pm 

I've been playing with setting forums up the last couple of days, so it was a good exercise to set this up.

http://gow.mywebcommunity.org/index.php

You can have it if you want, but the databse is only 10MB so it could only be a temperary option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

MercAngel wrote:
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
I'll add Montgomery's link to the candidate list.

Tiran: I should have clarified on the original post. We need a forum where we have moderator privileges, e.g., so that we can sticky important items. If we posted things here, it would get lost in the sea of other posts. That's why mystonline.com doesn't qualify.

MercAngel: Thanks for the links. Those will be extremely useful once the Guild of Writers has become official and we are ready to set up a supporting website. For now, I'm just looking for discussion-only places where we can have moderator access to talk about our dream site.

then put my site in too i can set up a spot on there for that and give access to it or i can set up a hole new forum in no time
http://atlantis.servegame.org/forums/

also my server is owned by me so i can give space to some one, also i can install any thing that is needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with most that mystonline.com should work for now. I have enough trouble just tracking my own comments on other forums like UO, much less stumbling on to other interesting conversations.

Only when the GoW "web empire" is launched, should we move the discussion away from this forum.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I would be willing to set up and/or design Tiran's "grand scheme" multi-function concept for the future home of the GoW. I have a lot of experience with CMS systems, and can learn any new one in under an hour. I also have php and java experience.

But most of all, I can do that *and* I can design. I'd be happy to do one or the other (if someone else has committed to constructing the site).

But in the meantime, there's no reason to get everyone acclimated to a separate stop-gap forum, especially when it's not required.

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:06 pm 

The Noble Robot wrote:
I mentioned this in another thread, but I would be willing to set up and/or design Tiran's "grand scheme" multi-function concept for the future home of the GoW. I have a lot of experience with CMS systems, and can learn any new one in under an hour. I also have php and java experience.

We should get in touch. I've a lot of experience with Apache 2, subversion and account management. I also wrote large parts of the core of a large Enterprise CMS based on Python and Zope in the past years. Although the system may be too large and powerful for a small site like GoW I like to provide my experience and expertise.

A trac site might be sufficient at first, too. Trac sites like http://trac.edgewall.org/ and http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ don't look soo bad. I also want to throw in Django http://www.djangoproject.com/ 'cause I don't like PHP at all. I like to reduce PHP to just phpBB3 for efficients, aesthetical and security reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tiran wrote:
'cause I don't like PHP at all.

That's a shame. Other then the fact that I simply like php (of course, I learned development with the ColdFusion language, so that likely colors my tastes), just for the level of complexity this system would (not) require, php is perfect, because there are so many dynamic tools available for all manner of function, that you hardly have to code a thing if you don't want to. You can do it all by adapting open-source code. I don't know about any of you, but for me, Uru is still a spare time activity (yeah, right :lol:). And since most web developers know php, you have a larger resource base, including a number of people on these forums.

Tiran wrote:
We should get in touch.

Agreed. It sounds like your expertise my be different/greater than mine, so if you already have a plan in place, I'd be happy just to hop on board. PM me so we're not fussing up this thread with geek-speek. :-)

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 pm 

The Noble Robot wrote:
That's a shame. Other then the fact that I simply like php (of course, I learned development with the ColdFusion language, so that likely colors my tastes), just for the level of complexity this system would (not) require, php is perfect, because there are so many dynamic tools available for all manner of function, that you hardly have to code a thing if you don't want to. You can do it all by adapting open-source code. I don't know about any of you, but for me, Uru is still a spare time activity (yeah, right :lol:). And since most web developers know php, you have a larger resource base, including a number of people on these forums.

I've used PHP in the past and I've done a lot of web programming. I like to use Python instead of PHP and Postgres instead of MySQL because both allow me to develop better and more secure code in less time. In most cases I don't even need a SQL database. It's my personal preference based on experience with frameworks and languages. I don't want to force or convince anybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

OK - I've added the sites suggested to date to the list. [I even added MystOnline, given that we can occasionally get the attention of a moderator for our needs.]

Again - we're just looking for a central place to discuss Guild of Writers at this stage; we don't necessarily need a shiny brand new forum for this purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

The nomination period has finished. I'll make the poll in just a few minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:01 am 

Ok this is IMO

I think that the guilds STAY with IN the game as much as possible.

So that means Cyan is going to have to give us the (resorces)
to do this. and they are! the Guilds will get their every own Guild pub.
and I'm hoping that they will contain objects and tools etc. for that perticular guild. incl. a new IN GAME Forum/data base/channel for the guild members KI. this thing is HUGE and complexed so it won't be perfict and bugs will have to be worked out as well... but everyone will be able to check the channels for the latest info etc.

I Think that ALL guild should have a common set of
laws, guild lines, or rules. that follow the D'ni's rules for the Guilds
as much as possible, isn't that what we are here to learn about?

Until the Pubs come out, I suggested that we make a Explorer offical set of Bevins for each Guild, post an Event on the NEW Event posting page
of this website. having a event telling everyone about these bevins
and to inquire there for joining a perticular guild.

--==MAin Rule You can ONLY be in ONE Guild at a time.==--
and as the game progressess there will plenty of time to swich guilds later on in the game. each guild should have a testing phase for all the appclents aka evaluation period lasting no shorter than 7 days and no longer than 30 days. (this can be changed to a shorter time)

also might also want to use, as a template, GoG sets of rules, guildlines etc. excluding or changing the parts that refer only to their guild.

Having set Guild lines for all Guilds will make for better guild members
and lowering the high turn over rate if no Rules, Laws are set.

Kinda off the subject but,
now Im kinda confused as to why The maintainers were also 'the police'
which actualy means they were the police and protectors of the books and ages. right?
The Maintainers were Not 'The Police taken literaly as in 'Your under arrest for *some crime*' you did in the city. right?

Anyway so How many Feel that The Guilds should remain with in the Game as much as possible *Say Aye!*

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:10 am 

The problem is that nothing that the Guild of Writers does (Age creation) can happen in-game. All of the programming, modeling, texturing, designing, and compiling is all done outside of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:35 am 
Obduction Backer

VoiZod wrote:

Do not like. I'd keep memberships open, with the power for the governing body of the guild to kick anyone out or demote them if they don't spend enough time working with each guild.

First example that comes to mind, we might have a very good Cartographer who also wants to occasionally contribute to the Writers with maps and concept art and textures or even modelling and programming. I don't see why he can't be a Guild Master in the Cartographers and a Cadet in the Writers.

That's how it works in many other games, and it would be a good counterbalancing to the fact that we can only join one 'hood: I can only live in one place at a time, but I can join as many clubs as I want - it's then up to me to find the time to devote to all of them.

Last edited by Ian Atrus on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
No thanks. I wish to major in GoMa and minor taking KI pics for GoMe.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2