It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Added opinions by Tweek and Hawkin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:38 pm 

1. A
2. B
3. A, as others have stated, outside of the Guild, we are Writers, inside we are ranked.
4. A Originally, I would have picked B, but A seems more fair and helpful.
5. A, not sure by "Community", if by community you mean in general then yes, A.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

1. a
2. b
3. a
4. a
5. a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:53 pm 

abaaa

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

1. a
2. b
3. a
4. a
5. a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:24 pm 

1. A
2. B
3. I don't really understand this one. Is it really for the UGoW to decide what non-UGoW members call them?
4. A
5. A

KI# 45434

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:07 am 

1. a
2. b
3. a
4. a
5. a

Regarding question 1, I feel that Guild membership should be available to anyone in terms of an entry level position that would not include any entitlement to work with teams on official guild projects; that is, people should at least possess the base skill set necessary to learn from more experienced members before they can advance to what might be considered the 'guild proper'.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 am 

1.a
2.b
3.a
4.a
5.a

I do think that anyone should view the resources however perhapse these could just be basic resources and as your progress in ranks thrugh the guild, more resources could become available to you? :?

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Added responses from Ozwell Spencer, Jojon, chucker, ShadowDude, Owehn, Kolian, and TomahnaGuy.

Owehn: Yes. For example, members of the Guild of Greeters prefer to be called "greeters". I'm sure people that don't like us will come up with any name they please :P but we can definitely tell people that we prefer to be called "Writer" (or whatever ends up being the consensus).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:29 pm 

TomahnaGuy wrote:
"and as your progress in ranks thrugh the guild, more resources could become available to you? :?"

TG

That is the same as saying
TG you have not run 100meters under 10 seconds in any championchip so we have to tie your Shoe laces together :lol:
when you beat 10 seconds we untie them.
when you beat 9 second you get a new pair of shoes.

New members will just try to make a age without any difficult objects and as they advance they will use more sofisticated objects in there ages.
I don't think there is a need for hideing resourses for the writers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Some of this discussion has gotten caught on the idea that there will be "Guild projects". Say there's a large Age which many people are working on together. It could involve most of the Guild (however you define that), while still having private resources.

(I mean "private" in the sense that any Age team might want. The team doesn't want spoilers to leak out to the public. The team is designing models and textures which are distinctive to their Age.)

So distinguish clearly between *Guild resources* (available for the betterment of all Ages and creators) and *team resources of a Guild Age team*. Both of those might be hosted on a Guild web server.

Basically, I don't like stuff being dangled as a reward for Guild membership. But I have no problem with the idea of resources being created or contributed for a particular Age effort.

(Mind you, the more public stuff, the better. In particular, we need a large public library of material textures. The uniqueness of your Age project is not diminished if you let other people freely use your stone or water patterns!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:12 pm 

1: A

2: B (Although I think that Concept isn't just limited to sketches, but discussion and working out how things work IC is just as important as sketches.)

3: A for IC and B for OOC, depending on circumstance.

4: A

5: A

In response to Belford, I've noticed that Cyan seem to re-use the same textures over and over again in many different ages, although they're either recolored or used in such different circumstances that it isn't that noticeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

I shall expound further! :)

The simplest way to clear this up is to say "There are no Guild Ages or Guild teams. There are only teams, producing Ages. The Guild supports everybody."

But there are practical advantages to the Guild supporting teams. An Age team wants some infrastructure: a forum to discuss work; a web server to store gigantic piles of data; a bug report system; perhaps a version control system. One role for the Guild is to offer these things, so I (aspiring Age creator) don't have to set up them up myself.

(Of course I *could* go set them up myself. Existing teams like Ahra Pahts and Ilathid did this years ago. But the Guild has a great opportunity to offer service here.)

So, all of those thngs (forums, web storage, bug tracking, etc) have a notion of "membership". And you also have to have some notion of privacy or access control.

I suppose the ideal case is something like SourceForge: anybody can create a project, and then decide who to invite in. The team members then decide what parts of their project to make public, and to whom.

I say that's "ideal" because it's very flexible, but it's also very complicated. It's a big fat web application with privilege lists everywhere. I certainly don't have anything like that lying around (although there may well be some CMS packages that do the job easily). It also leads a lot of dead (half-finished) projects lying around.

A simpler system is just to say, okay, here's the Guild server. It hosts a small number of high-profile projects. If you're on one of those projects, we'll give you access to the server. Please don't mess up anybody else's project, or leak private project data.

At that point, you have a natural definition of "Guild membership" -- it's anybody who is working on one of those projects, and therefore needs access to the server (storage, project forums, bug tracker, etc.) And you do need those people to at least sign something saying "I will behave myself."

But this whole notion arises from a compromise. It's what you get if you can't build the "ideal" project-management system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Added answers from Stellaflora.

belford: thanks for elaborating on your positions on membership. I'd like to reframe your thoughts in terms of the five questions, but I'm finding it a bit difficult.

Would you mind providing your answers for me? That way, I can register your opinions along with the rest of the folks.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

1 - a (policing b or c would be impossible)
2 - b (I would add story telling/writing as one of the skills)
3 - a
4 - a
5 - a (We keep ignoring the Maintainers. The GoW and others will produce work to be tested by the maintainers before the "community" will see it)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next