It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Added Shoramin's answers.

Shorahmin wrote:
5 - a (We keep ignoring the Maintainers. The GoW and others will produce work to be tested by the maintainers before the "community" will see it)

This thread is only focusing on the membership aspects of the UGoW.

Note that the UGoW mission statement cites specifically that "We shall work with the Unofficial Guild of Maintainers to produce ages that meet a high standard of quality and that are legally sound."

Also, in the Guild of Maintainers thread, the relationship between the Writers and Maintainers that you've described has been discussed at length.

So, don't worry - we have not ignored the Maintainers!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:56 am 

1. b

2. b

3. a

4. b

5. b

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Added Kierra's answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:15 am 
Obduction Backer

(1)B
As long as they have the skills necessary to help, that should be enough. Although it would be cool to have a "trainee" type of catagory. That way you can at least have some idea right away if someone is a respected "writer" or a newb, :) This would probably be differentiated by whether or not someone has worked on a "published" age.

(2)B
It takes more then the creating of specific age content to "write" a good age. It requires a complete design process.

(3)probably A
This one is hard because you will have some who have several skills. Although, when you think of the term "Writers" in the Myst sense, than that is almost enough to to describe a person in this guild.

(4)A
Anyone should have the right to create ages. The important thing is to make sure the completed/"published" ages are up to snuff. This is done by a certain group (Guild of Maintainers?).[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:11 pm 

Just a few short comments to add...

1. a

2. b - I can't say enough in support of concept...

3. a - IMO, I don't think an official naming hierarchy is needed to establish roles, or respect. These things fall out naturally from social interactions. Those that have a history of participating, contributing, and working well with others will garner the reputation they deserve.

4. a - The tools should be made freely available to everyone. I wonder if Ages "written" by guild members, however, should get first crack at approval by the Guild of Maintainers? I think this game is parched for new content (fan- or Cyan-based) and it would be a mistake to take the "pen" away from individuals that might prefer to write Ages independently. This can lead to pretty creative IC explanations (unsanctioned/dark Ages, etc.)

5. a - Yes, this will fall primarily on the shoulders of the Maintainers, as they will presumably be the official distributers of Ages. I agree that we should not underestimate their importance either, as they will be instrumental in ensuring that authorship is maintained when GoW and "rogue writer" Ages are released to the community.

-E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Added answers from RenStrike and Eltheras.

ATTENTION: we will hold an in-cavern debate about membership this Saturday - see this post for details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

1 - a
2 - b
3 - b
4 - a
5 - b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Typically, I'm unable to just give a simple answer to most of these questions:

1. Who is eligible for membership in the UGoW?
a. Anyone that agrees to uphold the mission statement and follow the code of conduct

2. What skills are considered necessary to building an age?
b. (a) + design skills (conceptual sketches, age layout)

….I know your (a) category broadly included “any (of the) skills needed to contribute to building an age”, but I would have thought that list of skills would necessarily include design skills already.
And really, before the layout, the sketches, the modeling/texturing/animation etc – the Writers’ Guild needs Writers, the folks that formulate great story lines around which the structure of the Ages are formed, not the other way around. We can have the most gorgeous environments imaginable, but they will be hollow and purposeless without the cause imparted by strong storylines. Good writers should also connect and integrate the disparate plots that our diverse group concocts, so that they at least give the semblance of a unified whole!

3. What should a member of the UGoW be called by the general community?
a. Writer

4. How should the UGoW control access to age creation tools and their documentation?
b. Only members should have access to certain tools and their documentation
AND
c. Only members should have access to INTERNALLY CREATED OR CYAN-PROVIDED age-creation tool(s) and their documentation
Here’s the one place I will advocate exclusivity, and for several reasons.
1. Though I know that we have some very talented people in our midst, I’m guessing it’ll still take a LONG time to bring all our members up to a level of functional competence whereby we are turning out ages we’re proud of at any clip acceptable to the players-at-large. There’s going to be a LONG period where we are all educating one another, where we are forming and reforming our methodologies, where we’re making LOTS of mistakes. We don’t want to broadcast our internal difficulties to the outside communities any more than Cyan does theirs. Nor do we want to be called upon to educate the world at large, since we’re gonna have our hands quite full with our own business. Keeping both our tools and chatter internal will help keep us out of more trouble than we're already gonna have.
2. As with MOUL itself, storylines should predicate the timing of the release of content. Giving away too many (or sometimes any) tidbits of advance info prior to an Age’s release can completely ruin the new-player experience. If we are going to really try to create a true IC experience for players, we need to keep our plans, progress and documentation to ourselves – at least until an age’s release.
3. I am hoping that Cyan themselves eventually starts to provide our Guild with the tools for Age creation. If that is the case, I believe that they’d prefer to see those tools in the hands of trusted individuals rather than throwing them on a website for the world to download, whine over and break. I could be wrong here, but I think we stand a better chance of getting Cyan’s cooperation in this if we demonstrate a history of competency and restraint.

5. Who should be able to produce ages for the general community?

Well, I think we’ll eventually see all kinds of ages produced by individuals and groups, both inside and outside of the Guild of Writers, using all kinds of tools. Frankly, this will be out of the GoWs’ control. Likewise, the GoWs can produce dozens of ages its members think are the best thing ever, but in the end it’s going to be Cyan’s choice as to whether these ages are uploaded to and accessible within MOUL for play by the general community. So ultimately, I think this question is moot.

Last edited by Emor D'ni Lap on Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Added answers from ces and Emor D'ni Lap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:42 pm 

1. b (but this is a loose distinction; I consider Age planning to involve a lot of necessary skills as well as actual building.)
2. b
3. a
4. a (but only Maintainer approved Ages can be visited by explorers, and the GoW will assumably have an easier rapport with the GoM)
5. a (but again, it will have to be GoM approved)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:24 am 

Well in all honesty I really don't post in this area of the forums, mainly because I don't believe in the guilds IC wise. Thats why in game I haven't bothered to be involved with the in cavern guilds.

To answer your questions though.

1: A, would be my answer, but I think anyone that wants to learn and will take criticism and productive feedback should be alowed.

2: this I can't agree on any of the answer available. hmmm for this one I'd say any skill that will benefit age creation. Even people that really don't have any skills in modeling or programing can add to the creation process.

3: well call them thier name for one. titles aren't really needed IMO.

4: A, all tools should be preaty much as they are. which for the most part are availible to anyone interested. I'm sure you guys want ginna pigs to find bugs in tools. :roll: Not all computer systems are the same and have the same programs installed on them.

5: A, definately, but with a good QC processes.

As I said above ICwise I really don't want to join any guild, but I won't try and hurt them either. OOC wise as always if I can help in some way I'd do what I can. Which by the way I have learn alot using blender and bryce 5.5, but still have alot to learn(patients is one of them :roll: )

I doubt I'll ever release an age anytime in the near future, but the challenge of trying is enough for me. also I've seen others work. which makes me want to learn more, because I want to be that good some day. I have lots of ideas, but I am learning the skills to make those ideas into something.

Hopefully things will work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Added answers from Pryftan and goofy; also took the liberty of adding answers from Lehn posted in the Membership Debate announcement thread.

[Note: I added a "No special title" answer for question 3.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:04 pm 

1. a
2. b
3. a
4. a
5. a

I think the guild should focus on providing service to the community, not cutting themselves off from it.

Offering tools and resources for age creation and providing a structure that helps get ages ready to submit to Cyan -- as opposed to confining public interaction only to the act of bestowing their ages upon everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Added answers from Aemi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:31 pm 

1a
2b
3a
4a
5a

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next