It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm 

*nods and smiles* So a Guild wouldn't be a good idea. I've been giving this a lot of thought and a group would be better.. simply because members could be from other guilds and bring all of that information together.

For those who don't know what Anthropology is.. it's the study of past cultures. Language and history play into it, but it's also about the culture of the people in question.. The rites and traditions. The holidays and day-to-day. It's about the people, mostly, and what the lives were like back then. Surely this is a broad perspective, but a group of people bringing this information can provide the full perspective: the lives of the D'Ni. Right now, we have a little to work on. It does and will cross over to other areas, because that's what anthropology does. It's hard to speak about the influx of refugees without talking about the war that caused them.

Anyways, this was an idea. I'll let it sit and see what gathers.. maybe set up a bevin for it and see if anyone else sees it.

"I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:36 am 

Ok, what if we were able to set something up? We are all busy people, how long do you think this could be ongoing? Do we really have enough info to even start something? Should we just stick to MOUL info or should we include all the material, books and games? Do we need a forum? (my answer would be "yes") Or could we do the email game?

Maybe I just need to actually take a reference of another society and see if I can come up with something. Or maybe, we could all work on it and see what we can come up with.

Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:06 am 

I think this is a main key to finding out and explaining some of the many
mysteries and unanswered questions about the D'ni. as well as why
they did certain things at certain times or did not. Even finding their garbage
dump area or where did all their wastes go? where are the hospitals or how did they heal their sick?
These are are big clues in unraveling the D'ni culture.

There are many differant 'outsider' peoples from the differant games
and ages. But I do not know if Cyan has ever concidered having one of these races make contact with the DRC and start a whole new branch of the tree of possibilities or not. If Cyan were to include one or more of these races from past Myst games into MouL, Then it would be feasable to study
these cultures, other wise, although very instristing, it would be
all for not.

Plus there are websites that have already gathered most all the information there is known about the D'ni. without ferther artifacts being found in the cavern (another dispoitment thought this time the explorers would finaly get to experience what it is really like to get down and shift through the dirt and rock exploring the insides of anchient structors and tombs, to field work to the 'lay of the land' as to the climate, flora, other animals the list and the depth can go on forever on what you can discover
although you need the right tools and know how to use them etc.

But creating what I just said in a game for it to be realistic and emersive
I could not imagine the coding involved with something like that. lol
But you NEVER know with Cyan. ;)

There already a lingest (spelling) guild established so
maybe as you said we could pull together all that info, from the areas you mentioned, and try to piece it together like putting together a big puzzle
by using those pieces of info.
To hopfuly find some of the unanswered questions that have been eluding all of us for so long. please don;t ask me what has been eluding us,
it is too late at night and I have a head ache... lol

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:41 pm 

I am rather new to MO:UL, though not the Myst franchise. I have been thinking about a group along similar lines before I discovered this thread. Indeed, my first idea was called the Guild of Anthropologists (though I foolishly invented a history to insert it into canon).

My thoughts have more recently turned to creating a group dedicated to the three related social sciences of anthropology, sociology, and psychology (the last being my specialty). I have considered a name along the lines of The Society of Anthropologists, Psychologists and Sociologists (SAPS).

Our work would include assessments, consistent with our traditions, of things like the leadership style of each king, personality profiles of historical figures, effects of the social structure of D’ni on each social class, factors involved in slave trade (Teledahn), the stress coping mechanism's of Kadish and his impact on D’ni culture, framing the Tokotah rooftop journals within the real word literature of these disciplines, etc. I also imagine the group to be able to create documents about the culture of the explorers from an both an IC and OOC perspective.

I possess the academic expertise to do this in a manner of near “real world” quality, but I would not expect the group to have any skill except interest in applying this approach or asking these questions in the study of the D’ni. Any sort of inventing facts (“fan-fiction”) would be discouraged. The research would be strictly drawn only from what Cyan/DRC has released.

Of great importance to me is that I am not creating anything redundant (though one can never be sure with so many fragmented groups). My understanding of the Students of D’ni Knowledge is that they have more of a historian approach. DPWR is more archival than investigative, and what investigation originates from there again seems more historical than analytic. I would hope to have good relations with both these and other groups in the Cavern. It would be formed with no connection to other groups or guilds current or future.

Is this an idea that might work and might draw a few people, or am I beating a dead horse? My sense is that people gave up on this group, but my idea broadens the workable content and possible output.

Horatio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:28 pm 

This is something I would be very interested in helping with, as historical research, language (glyphs) are what I do. I have been searching for a home base of like minded people with which to share ideas and knowledge. So count me in. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 pm 

Aura,
good to hear from you. I have been waiting a bit to see if anyone else jumped on this idea. I am not giving up, but I might try to track down Monkeyboy or Khorax in the cavern and get their feedback.

I am in-game most nights, so I will keep an eye out for you and maybe we can talk avatar to avatar. My KI should now be displayed in my signature. If not it is 06050057.

Horatio

MOULa KI: 00214606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:47 am 

Hey, horatio, very nice to see more interest. When I started this thread it was in hopes of finding some interest in doing what you are proposing, though, you obviously are more eloquent. Seeing I didn't get any interest the idea kind of died. I'm still willing to try something out, but, once again, if the interest isn't there, it's not worth the trouble.

With that said, let me quote my qualifications. I have an undergrad degree in Anthropology, with an emphasis on physical anthro. Besides, I have been working as a seasonal archaeologist (I won't say where here for obvious reasons) this last season. And for role-playing I've been the volunteer archie in the group Subterranean Restorations, which has been fun. So, far in my spare time, I've been in the DWPR site going through their Age list and writing down any Ages that have been found to be inhabited. After that I planned to do a Search and see if there happened to be anymore info on any of these groups. Other than that I would still like to see this go forward I think it would be fun, and there may be more interest if there happened to be a research question answered and published.

If you see me in the Cavern, my KI is below, I would love to talk to you about it, and hopefully Khorax would be available, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

HEY MONEKYBOY

Dont give up! I know it was discouraging that nothing matured in the SR venture, but there was considerable interest there, it seemed to me.

Maybe you and horatio and korax and other interested sorts can gain momentum by getting cavern interests focused through your message here: By starting a discussion group; by instituting private research, as you doing through your search of inhabited ages; and by encouraging a variety of small interests that grow out of explorations.

[A] So much can be deduced from what is around us in just Ae'gura, but it all passes too silently. For instance, I'm putting up a pic to discuss from the Ae'gura Museum off the Toketah Plaza as new topic, which i shall now title, 'Guild of Anthropology Question'.

[B] But also i am sorting through rubble in the Office Building adjacent to the DMoA Plaza, and trying to reconstruct something of what that working environment was like.

[C] THen there were several items in the basement of the DMoA that were domestic in nature, so i want to try to reconstruct a sleeping and living environment.

Much of this is beyond my expertise and would require the help of anthropologists versed in the typology of D'ni artifacts and even previous cultures, in the language, in the history, and the variety of cultural experiences revealed in the evidence uncovered.

I would appreciate hearing more of your work in organizing all this, Monkeyboy, and i applaude you for the time you are investing.

Good Show, old boy!

pappou
gigot2 Ki7959206
gigot Ki 2828804

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:09 am 

Thanks, gigot! Appreciate the support! And the SR venture is still on full go! I have a whole Age to document! And perhaps if something can become of this maybe we can help out there at the D'ni Museum of Art. Of course none of this is canon and is all RP so I really don't know how others would feel about it. Hopefully, I or we can get I thing or two going, at the very least maybe an in-game discussion.

Perhaps horatio would like to set up a time we could meet and discuss this idea? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Good point, MB;

But now that you mention it, every little thing that a player does is RP. The only real canon is the Cyan game itself.
We just insert ourselves into a canonical situation and treat it as IC or OOC.

So, i think the important thing for our own non-canonical age is to think of it canonically and act IC.

Even when we get an age building program from Cyan, it will all still be RP. If its good stuff, we can then insert our beautiful new age into the Uru canon and get a RP book for our shelves. So, why not?

Right now, i think our aim should be to get all the work done on the DMoA site -- your work and others, do the journals and get it in shape to be written.

Again, i truly appreciae your enthusiasm and hard work.

gigot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:07 am 

As to setting a meeting, I am all for it. I will be away from my computer this weekend (though I will still have internet access) so I can’t meet until Sunday night or Monday night. Are we all in the American time zones? I haven’t the knack of time zones, so I’ll give my availability in EST. Sunday after 9:00 PM and weeknights 7:00PM onward. To give us a starting point, how about we meet Monday at 10:00PM EST?

Also we need a location. I don’t mind using my current default ‘hood, since I think I am the only who still visits it, but if someone has a better place I’m all for it. Actually Aura and I discussed creating a new ‘hood. Is there an unused Guild of Anthropology hood we should convert to SAPS of should I start one?

Horatio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:14 am 

I had a good talk with Aura tonight in cavern. We seem to be thinking along the same lines with this new group. She asked me to post what I had been thinking about as far as how our reports and articles should look. I have tried to find a balance between usability for those unfamiliar with the real life formats while maintaining the function and the appearance of scientific rigor. I realize that I favor APA style. Also I am not sure how well I dealt with citations and reference pages. It still feels at first glance too complex, yet if I cut it back anymore it becomes meaningless. I welcome any feedback, even if it is “you are taking this too seriously”

Guidelines for Reports and Papers Published by the Society of Anthropology, Psychology, and Sociology

All articles will include an abstract. The abstract is to be approximately 100 words or ¼ the length of the article, which ever is shorter. The purpose of the abstract is to briefly summarize the article including its findings.

All articles will include at least one paragraph explaining why the study was undertaken and any related research.

All articles will include a section summarizing the findings of the study and possible related future research.

Articles are encouraged to include a section detailing their method and a section detailing any results from their study.

The use of headings to organize the report is highly encouraged, but not required

Use of articles from the real scientific literature is encouraged, though not required. In-text citations will take the form (author, year of publication). A simplified reference list will be used with the following form :
Author(s). (year of publication). Title of article. Source of article.
Author(s). (year of publication). Title of book.

Use of websites within the MO:UL community are welcome. in-text citations will be identical with the scientific literature. It is at the writer’s discretion to include day and month instead of year if the information is more specific to a certain time. If an author is not listed with the information, do not assume that it is the work of the website’s creator or most well known member, rather cite the organization. For the reference list the following format will be used:
Author. (year of publication). Title of article or heading. Website title. <URL>.
Organization. (year of publication). Title of article or heading. Website title. <URL>

Use of forum postings is also welcome, the following format for in-text citations will be used (author, date of post). For the reference list the following format will be used:
Author. (date of post). Title of post {if there is one}. Title of thread. Website or board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:31 am 

Well, to tell the truth, when it comes to how to write a paper, I really don't have a preference. If you want that format that's fine, I can work with that. I think what's more important is to what we shall actually do according to procedures of each discipline.

But I got to go real quick so, Monday should be fine as long as I remember that far ahead. I'm kept busy...so, anyway, yes a discussion, and I think we should go ahead and have it somewhere public so if anyone wanted to listen or have anything to say should be able to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:03 am 

I did not mean to put the cart before the horse. What we write and our approach to the material is more important than form or format. It is the kind of work we are doing, neither just reporting nor inventing new material that will set us apart.

You are right about making the meeting public. How about the Kirel Meeting Hall?

Last edited by horatio252 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:46 pm 

That's a good idea! Kirel I think would be great...There's nothing planned there at that time is there? Hope not. Maybe we should leave a few posts on some neighborhood screens for the time and on some forums for the very curious. So then 8pm Cavern time or in the EST would be 10pm. Will that work?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next