It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:58 pm 

Here in the states, ( I don't know about any other countries), we use something called "binding arbitration" to settle disputes between two or more parties interested in the same goals- but who are not able to agree on a final answer.

A neutral, highly respected panel, consisting of one to six members offers to mediate the dispute. This panel carefully listens to each proposal, debates and evaluates the ideas and presents an unbiased and reasonable solution to the group that they agree to use for a short period of time- say six months. During that period of time all parties agree to adhere to the advice of the panel and when that time is over they renegotiate based on the prior- say six month trial. By then they will have had time to work together, see what was good about the plan and what needed improvement. Then the process repeats if you can still not reach an agreement- but usually it is not needed again.

Since I do not know many explorers- I am thinking there must be some highly respected explorers who may not be involved in the guild formation that would be willing to volunteer to work within such a panel or maybe the guilds could offer panels to each other. Say the Writers mediate for the Messengers or the Greeters for the Maintainers- you get the idea. Besides, by observing how other guilds are also trying to build their structures, or looking at existing structures- may offer up new ideas for their own.

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Something similar existed on the Tapestry shard way back when. Do we need a Guild of Bridge Builders, anyone?

Good idea, Jenine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:54 pm 

Thanks Rusty!

I am willing to host an informal, in cavern, discussion about the creation of such a panel if anyone is interested. The newbie- me- will remember to bring treats and refreshments this time...

If anyone else, (some of those respected explorers?), would like to step forward and help to alleviate some of the current stress and work for the good of all explorers please let me know. I am not suggesting permanent solutions for any of the guilds but a temporary one that may let you being to work together.

My goal is that in time this would become a roll of the Maintainers by providing a mediation panel of peers- to any group requesting help- in order to resolve any issues that may come up in the future, (and we know they will). :wink:

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:48 am 
Obduction Backer

What guild is this about?

Personal opinion follows -

It's a great idea, but, people might have so much discussion about who constitutes the members of the arbitration committe - right now it might not be worth it!

One thing that might be helpful - getting a writeup of all the thoughts/ideas on a guild. Categorize the issues nicely, see where there is agreement and disagreement, write it all down, and put it on the forum and have people comment. See if you can hone down the issues to a couple, and then maybe we can all figure out what to do from there.

I hate recommending that we do this outside of the game, but the collaboration tools in-game are not good.

And here is sadly, where I give an opinion and run. This is the sort of thing I've done a lot, but I can't do it right now. One might argue that I don't manage my time very well, but with work and school I barely have time to mod. So, if you don't want to take my suggestion (much as I like it!) - I'll understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:46 pm 

Please- I am not pointing at "any" particular guild or telling anyone what to do-but and there is always a big 'but'- we will have to "all" pull together in order for this to begin to become what we imagine!

Someone or Someones out there in Uruland must feel like me that we need some respected individuals that "don't" have an agenda of their own to step up, fairly evaluate the situation, and alleviate some of the issues that these guilds are having in deciding what they need to do. And it may be we only need a few gently offered suggestions...

Reteltee is delicately working within the guidelines he has been given and is more than likely not able, (and I am making my own assumption), to give more specific direction at this time. Many of those voicing their opinions and volunteering suggestions are very passionate about their own projects and deservedly so!

Some of us desperately want to contribute right now to the new guilds and some are willing to wait to find our purpose- but don't we have anyone who can be called on to "help" objectively organize our thoughts and share innovative ideas?

Look at the guilds as a larger structure and even though they are separate entities they will need to work closely together for this to all come together. Seems no one is standing up for the "whole"- while others are very focused on the parts.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]