It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:36 pm 

As the unofficial motto proposed for the Guild of Messengers, "See a need, fill a need" adheres to the following assumptions:

The Guild of Messengers is here to serve the community first.
    The Guild of Messengers, in whatever form it eventually takes, will (simply by virtue of being recognized by the DRC) be most explorers' first stop for news.
    Therefore, the Guild of Messengers has a responsibility to bring explorers the news in the best possible way.

So what is the best possible way? That is the question for this thread.

What needs ought the Guild of Messengers fill?

NOTE: This is a completely blank slate/wish list. We are not discussing whether or not to use or replace existing organizations. Those kinds of discussions are not for this thread.

So please put your ideas, whether or not they currently exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:13 pm 

Quote:
"See a need, fill a need"

I like that idea, I like it a lot.

Something like that is the stamp I can see the Messengers putting on things to make them different from the orginizations that the Guild grew out of.

I would be happy if the Messengers were coordinators extraordinaire. The Messengers Guild is going to have one of the harder jobs; They are going to have to work with everyone else. There are three top things that I would like a Messenger to be able to do for groups in general.....

Group Duties
<>Have a basic knowledge of the groups out there, and how to get ahold of them.
<>Have translators available upon request. (We have to learn to play well with others, being able to talk is the first step.)
<>Be the Ad agency for Groups, if there is a meeting or event the Messengers can be counted on to get it "out there".

There is a lot more that I think should be kept out of the more successful "Messenger Groups" that are currently running, like the relayers, or the moderators tasks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:25 pm 

MustardJeep,

Quote:
There is a lot more that I think should be kept out of the more successful "Messenger Groups" that are currently running, like the relayers, or the moderators tasks.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking for more clarification please.

I feel this is the best way to start the Guild of messengers. Finding ways to help each other know what is going on. We despretately need someone to get the news out about explorer based events, but in an in cavern way.

Would anyone be willing to help me start a KI Mail announcing these explorer events? There is a great thread here in MOUL that has some explorer events on it. We could transfer that to the KI Mail and get a list of subscribers. This is not a job I want to force on the relayers, or their buddies list. This is something totally separate from them. But if any of them happen to want to help, or anyone else for that matter, I won't complain. :D

Since I'm still new about what to do and not to do on forums, would it be a bad thing to take the events list off the forum and transfer it to a KI mail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:41 pm 

:) I do not see the groups that the Messengers Guild is going to grow out of just drying up and blowing away. A good part of their success is just that; Despite it all they refused to give up on what they wanted to do.

The two most visable groups (The Relayers, and The Moderators) I used in my earlier example. I can see both of those groups spearheading Messengers Duties, and yeah I know they are only one group really but they serve different purposes. Up front acting as a Relayer/Moderator is going to be what most explorers will "See" a Messenger doing.

I don't claim to know even half of what the Maintainers might end up doing, and I am heavily involved with their Supporter Group. But the basic thing common to all the Guilds is that they will be something other Groups will make use of. It is just in the case of the Messengers Guild most of the Groups that will be making use of the Guild will also be forming the Guild.

The KI mail idea is a good one, from personal experiance doing a few KI mail announcements for the [GoMa] Supporters here's a tip. Keep the KI journal as close as you can to the size you could read on a imager. The bigger the message is the worse the KI seems to behave; this is from personal experiance and after compairing notes with the few other people trying to use the KI for things like this.

Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:22 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up for me MustardJeep. I feel much better now. lol
And I'm glad you liked the KI Mail idea. I will try to start on it today. Anyone want to help me with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

One of the needs that I see is a need for education. This is a need that all guilds need to fill in their own way.

I would like explorers who are interested in producing their own podcasts, videos, or newsletters to be able to turn to the Guild of Messengers for tutorials and assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very good point Marten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:07 pm 

I like that idea Marten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:53 pm 

Lynnutte wrote:
We despretately need someone to get the news out about explorer based events, but in an in cavern way.

Lynnutte, I don't want to hijack this thread (since I created it, lol), but I have a great idea about how to solve this need - for now. Just as in all other needs, I would of course support re-examining the "solution" as we approach building the Guild of Messengers.

I'm making a new thread to talk about my suggestion ... (I'm new to forums, too, so I hope I'm not making too many threads! :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:28 pm 

From personal experience(sending Ki mails to 250 people), the Ki mail is a very long and painful way to spread news(scrolling down huge buddy list with the possibility of it going all the way up if someone logs on or off).

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Last edited by Andros on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm 

This is true Andros, but if I give it to 10 people, and they each pass it on to 10 people, and they....well, you get the picture. It can be done. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 pm 

Lynnutte wrote:
This is true Andros, but if I give it to 10 people, and they each pass it on to 10 people, and they....well, you get the picture. It can be done. :D

In that case, if enough people can share the work load, it would be a perfect idea. Let's say a worker in the GoMe send the Ki mail to 10 people, it would be an easy and fast thing to do. But in order to do this on a bigger scale (5000 explorers), you would need a LOT of people willing to do the work.

In my personal opinion, the best way to spread information is by sending a message to the buddy list or by posting it on a popular place where it will be seen. Unfortunately, these 2 options also have negative aspects(The message is only temporary when shouting to buddy list and the imagers in the bevin can only contain a few messages.

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 am 

Hey, everyone - let's not stray too far from the topic of this thread. Please post needs you think GoM should fulfill, like MustardJeep and Marten. :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:41 am 

I posted an Events KI Mail and a Recurring Events KI Mail in the Guild of Messengers pub. It's not much, but it's a start. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would like to see a network of teachers available to help new people learn how to use the tools available for communication in the cavern. The Guild of Greeters do that in a way already, but their work could be supplemented by the Guild of Messengers whose membership might have more specific knowledge about the imagers, KIMail, music player, voice chat. How to use them, what tools work best for what messages, and so on. I think this kind of idea has been discussed before, but I can't remember where at the moment.

It's easy for me to assume that once I know how to use something everyone else does, too. Just the other day, tho, I learned something I had never known for years!

I can envision monthly gatherings during which experienced explorers give short talks on how the tools we have could be used to communicate. This might also be useful to groups that have content to teach, like historians, storytellers, event organizers, or artists. They might find there's a way to pass on their knowledge that they hadn't known of before.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next