It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok... how about...? vidkid7 wanted to do something similar with GZ markers, linked to the UO hood, way back when. How about doing your 24 hour pellets for explorers, with suitable notice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:57 pm 

I see the GoMe more helping someone who is planning something to get the word out rather than organize by themself(plus promote) a explorers Pellet run.

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Agreed. I've sent vidkid7 a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is a random thought that I posted on a GoW thread. I'm reposting it here because it's a Messenger idea, not about the Writers in particular.

Someone had commented that a new Writers forum (hosted on a fan site) might not be a good idea, because fan-run forums can suffer all manner of political schisms, flameouts, walkouts, cliquishness, etc. If the person who runs the forum goes on a power trip, the whole thing wipes out.

So, I ask myself, what makes these forums (the mystonline.com ones) better? Answer: Cyan has a strict hands-off policy. And the moderators here, while not Cyan employees, are responsible players who can stay neutral while wearing their mod hats.

Presume that I want to create a new forum site for the Guild of Foofaraw. (I leave aside the question of whether any particular Guild wants to do that.) Can I find neutral, responsible moderators for that forum? The prospective High Honchos of Foofaraw are probably not the people for the job. The whole problem here people are worried about is High Honchos being over-controlling mean person/people on their forum.

So I want some volunteer moderators. But hey, we *have* volunteer Moderators in Uru. And it seems like the GoMe has become the domain for the kinds of Moderator/Relayer teams that exist currently.

(Mind you, I haven't been following the discussions, so maybe I'm out of date on that. Footnote -- I would love to be getting guild newsletters in KI-mail... This is the kind of thing that I'd know if I knew anything about the GoMe debate...)

So, would the Messengers consider offering forum moderation as a service? It's not carrying messages, but it's about communication. It's something that players can do today -- forums are being set up now, after all. It doesn't require waiting on Cyan. On the negative side, it's a big time commitment, and long-term... but nobody said all jobs were easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps after the GoMe resolves its own issues of concern with High Honchos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:13 pm 

Regarding the website ... what about this?

Each group is given a username (with icon) and posts to an RSS feed. The front page of the Messenger website (whether it's located at Myst Embassy Nexus or elsewhere) collects and displays those RSS feeds. That way explorers and messengers alike can visit the homepage of the Messenger site for a quick look at what's going on.

Each entry links back to the affiliate's homepage (or whereever).

The benefit of this arrangement is that no particular person "gets to be"/"has to be" in charge of the website. Each group is able to upload news as they see fit. Apart from a couple of static pages we'll probably want (Affiliates, About), the site runs itself.

I've drawn up an example for you here:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Now what would be super-awesome is ... if Cyan would set up a public imager to display the last 5 results from the total Messenger feed ... but I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:40 pm 

I really love your idea shimmerillion. This way it is decentralized which eliminate the possibility of someone bossing other people around and reduce bureaucracy and delays. The fact that explorers can see it also is a very good thing. Some people want to hear news it as soon as possible.

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:49 pm 

Website discussion now has its own thread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3