It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I need to work out KI mass mailings ?

well as far as I know eleri, the best way to do that is literally the chaining method that was used last episode. There isn't a method (outside of cyan) to send KI mails to everyone, and using another application (like a mod) inside the memory used by cyan might be breaking the TOS (I know it is against the rules in 99% of other MMOs I play) so I doubt I or someone else would be able to write a program to auto send KI mails for you. And I wouldn't condone using one even if it wasn't against the rules!

The problem with KI mail chaining mainly is that that message can go way way down the list after whomever has the message gets more incoming.
The best possible tool we could have is a scrolling RSS linked box or something in a spare button on the KI, when you click it an interface pops up and connects to an RSS feed maintained by the GoMe and on mouse click or hover over or something check out http://inforss.mozdev.org for a horisontal version of what I'm talking about.

On mouse over it would display the RSS news and that could be effectively a small page of HTML inc. pictures. The Guild of messengers could upload an item into the RSS feed and voila it would be instantly updated across the cavern.

This could be expanded by having different tabs across the top of the interface for different types of news, e.g a DRC tab as well as 5 guild tabs or something.

This sort of power brings me back to my idea for a process in the guild that confirms the accuracy of information coming out of official guild channels, but I have talked about that before so I wont again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:53 pm 

I don't think we have realized the full potential of sharing KI mail and most of the suggested alternatives would require software changes to the KI better suited to feature request to Cyan...

What about using one of the rotations in the Guild of Messengers pub imager. Rather than debating who's version of the days events is the most accurate you could put the web addresses to the online sites that are constantly updating the events or list explorers names and KI #'s of those providing in game KI mails about the daily events. This way all of the news orgs can have the same access to all explorers. It will be their publications that will succeed or fail by the quality of the KI mail.

If I knew there was an easy way to find the in cavern resources- like the guild pub- I would run in to find out who I may want to contact to subscribe to their news releases. They may be able to get an avie just to manage their subscription list as a buddy list. Like the relayers do. If I find I am no longer interested- I can always delete or ignore them and subscribe to someone else's.

It is not about who has the biggest mailing list or gets access to the most explorers- it is about cooperating as a group and using all the tools you have available to promote your common interest.

Oh, and if the news org that is releasing the KI mail keeps the title of the KI mail the same it can be updated daily to just add the next new events without having to send a new KI mail. Check out the Guild Support Network KI Mail for Lord Chaos's explanation of sharing one KI mail.
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12615

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 am 
Obduction Backer

I had a sort of chain mail idea for the KI. You know, the GoM sends it to 5 people, they each have a list of 5 people they send to, and so forth.

Don't break the chain or a Bahro will eat you for breakfast!

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:22 am 

Eleri- it is a good idea!

But some of us don't have five buddies yet on our list unless you count Cate, Marie, Phil, Nick and Dr. Watson... :D
Since they are the ones making the news right now- I probably wouldn't need to share with them...

I would love to receive the buddy shared one and would still like to subscribe to a news feed though- if someone wanted to offer one! Can't get enough "in cavern" news.

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Hmm. maybe that would be part of the orginization. Get two lists... people willing to be a link in the chain, and people who just want the mail.

Then assign all the links first, and then the ends.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:30 am 

A Ki chain is probably the best way to reach the largest number of people with the least effort. It is far from perfect though(not every one will get the Ki while some people will have 10 people send it to them).

Maybe GoM members(or anyone willing to) could go to public places, shout that the new Weekly Ki mail is available and those who want it can ask him for it. It could be compared to someone selling the newspaper on the street.

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:42 pm 

I like Andros' idea... simple, clean and those who want it get it and pass it on.....maybe a disclaimer on it to ask before just sending.....

Plus, I still say those subscription hoods could be a good thing....get one or two members who will take the KI Chain and post it and keep it posted for, say, a week....then get the new edition and repeat....One way to reach out and touch everyone....especially if you can get the big hood who have a lot of population pass through involved....

This sounds like the most workable thing to date as far as getting info out to as many as possible......

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:23 pm 

@ Eleri and everyone else

I agree 100%; all hail Guild Mistress Eleri.

[My ramblings on sending ki-mails below...]

Since the URU Action News is an in-cavern, ki-mail only newsletter - I have refined the process quite a bit, but it is still a pain to deliver. I use an out-of-cavern text editor to compose the newsletter of no more than 2000-2100 characters. I then use a small, simple & free program called AutoHotKey to then "re-"type in the message into a new ki-mail. Once in-cavern, it is still very difficult to send to a distribution, and each mail must be sent individually. I use a spare avi's buddy list to maintain the subscription list. Perhaps someone has come up with an easier way ... I hope ... no?!?!? ... Maybe we can advance stage 3 and get the DRC(yan) to help out, or give a certain Guild Mistress the ability to send mass ki-mails.

However, a problem with mass (non-DRC) ki-mails is that they are editable by anyone who receives it. And the problems with using imagers is that you have considerably less space, and the formatting is different. You can only fit about a 1/4th to a 1/3rd of a full ki-mail.

EOM

Last edited by MikeFitz on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Considering the many resolution settings afforded us, another issue with ki-mail is the font size. When font size is set to the larger ranges, some of the message is cut-off at the bottom. Reducing font size to see the whole message, now the whole thing is too small to read. Aarrrgh !! :(

I am hoping this issue will be considered when folks use ki-mail. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

That is a good point semplerfi, and another reason to keep messages short and to the point... to the size of what will fit on an imager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:15 am 

So what is the next stage in the building part of the GoMe? We need to know what the next step otherwise we'll stall.

So what is the next goal?

Are we trying the form the council?
Are we still collecting ideas on the forums?
Are we having a third meeting soon in the cavern?
Are we starting a new project in the cavern that would represent the first stone in the GoMe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:58 am 
Obduction Backer

GoMe in action - CaptainMack's 24 hour Er'cana pellets run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:33 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
GoMe in action - CaptainMack's 24 hour Er'cana pellets run?

So you want the GoMe to spread information about this activity?
How could we rate the sucess of our collective work if the GoMe is behind the proomotion push?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Make it a multimedia blitz. Give CaptainMack "The treatment" - count it down, interview him... get everybody involved in some way or another to make this an event. Success is knowledge / attendance. Measurement could be a poll (count) afterwards of people who knew about the day through GoMe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:27 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Make it a multimedia blitz. Give CaptainMack "The treatment" - count it down, interview him... get everybody involved in some way or another to make this an event. Success is knowledge / attendance. Measurement could be a poll (count) afterwards of people who knew about the day through GoMe.

Ok. I though that this 24 run was for explorers to drop pellets.
I read Captmack thread and this could be an interesting project to do. However, being tomorrow, I doubt that the GoMe could organize itself in such limited time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next