It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Follow the white rabbit.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:34 am 

I have been working on a new guild. Its something that Im proud of. For some that could be a dangerous statement since it was the "pride" of the guilds that led to its downfall. My pride does not reflect any arrogance but rather that what I have built may really benifit the cavern. Just the idea that a group might take advantage of what this guild has to offer is exciting to me. I have been working in secret. Waiting for that time when I can get ready to open the doors and start getting people envolved. That time is rapidly approaching.

With that I would like to submit to the community the Guild of Storytellers.

We do more than just write a story, we tell it. The mission is a simple one, an acheivible one. We bring a new dimension to the cavern. Tell the stories that are not often told in the cavern beyond a small group of people. We tell the story of the explorer, or the forgotten stories of D'ni's past.

I realize that there are groups/other guilds that would lay claim to such a bold mission and guild. I won't dispute that claim, so long as we can lay claim to them as well. What is important to remember is that there will always be the storyteller. Whether through out the history of the D'ni or here on Earth. That tradition will continue if a guild exsists or not and that is as it should be.

Within weeks the doors to this guild will be opened for anyone to join. I hope to see people there and welcome them. The website is coming along and the URL is http://www.guildofstorytellers.net

The purpose of this post is to inform the public of the Guilds presence. To familarize people with the guild and its contents. This is indeed an exciting time to be involved in the cavern.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I am so confused.

What do you plan to *do* exactly?

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:19 pm 

:?

Thank you, Noble Robot, for killing any and all excitement generated from Abguy's post with your ignorant rebuttle.

What do you think a Guild of Storytellers does?

I'll give you a hint It tells a story!

Fan storylines really could benefit by having a central production house. Good luck on getting the various little groups to come under the "umbrella" though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Speaking only for myself, the simple question:
The Noble Robot wrote:
I am so confused.

What do you plan to *do* exactly?

Does not kill anything or kill any excitement for me.

If anything, it gives Abguy a chance to share more of his vision with us. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
Thank you, Noble Robot, for killing any and all excitement generated from Abguy's post with your ignorant rebuttle.

Would it not be better to react on Abguy's story than reacting on eachother? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

What's D'ni for "Hwaet!" ? :)

Telling stories in-Cavern? Your web page isn't precise about form. I imagine someone standing up in the Courtyard and shouting "How many leaves has the Tree?" and then telling a story -- old D'ni tale or recent events. Do that regularly, you could get quite a following.

Hm. Maybe I'll set aside some time next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:41 pm 

:D One of the purposes of the post was to familerize the community with the Guild.

To go a little deeper. The guilds purpose is to tell stories it comes up with to the community. This is done through a system where memebers share their stories to any Bevin's that would like to request them. One of the things that we will not do and it is important for the community to know, is create a storyline that interferes with the Developer storyline. Reasons for this are numerous. But its important because as news travels through the cavern often by word of mouth it could be dangerous to confuse people further by intergrating a story which is counter to the progression of the developers story. Not to mention its kinda rude.

The noble robot has in a way pointed out something interesting though. There is a bit of a open door when it comes to what the guild can speak on. This is done for a reason. The less restrictions I put on the guild the more creativity I believe will result. This means that beyond just stories, we can have ficition that isn't written about the cavern. All types of artists are welcome, because for some drawing/painting/photography is their method of relaying a story. Most of all we can work on something known as a descriptive book... Many who play URU already know what they are. I have one sitting on my Hard Drive right now and I know that a few others are interested in publishing there very unique books also.

While all of this is freeing I can also understand why its a bit confusing so let me break it down. To think of the structure of the guild let me divide it in to three parts.
Administrative. Thats the work I do and what a few select others do.
Creative. This is where the bulk of the content comes from the artists that make it happen.
Social. A very important part of the guild. They promote the guilds image by being social and friendly. Also help tell the stories to the various hoods that are interested in hearing them.

Most everyone will have aspects of two or all three parts. Even if you have only one of these traits you still are an important part of the guild. If there are more questions please feel free to post them here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:22 pm 

BTW. I will NOT by any means expect nor try to get any other groups to "fall in" under me... What kind of mean person/people would I be for even attempting to do that!
The point here is to promote creativity not destroy it! If other groups want to merge its a different story. But if they are happy doing what it is they are already doing, let it be.

I didn't create this guild to serve some lust for power. I realized that many felt apprehensive toward the guilds as I did. Listening to Reteltee I wanted to create a guild that was more reflective of the community. Given that the guilds are to be populated by that community I thought it would be a good idea. Not all guilds are for everyone though, but I think the hope is that where one doesn't fit you another might.

When it comes to structure what I have in mind is a bit different than what others are doing. I think thats important because if all guilds are the same then you have already alienated much of the community.

Once again there are three parts in essence. Administrative, Creative, and Social. It really works from the bottom up. The Social and Creative aspects which come from the members are the people who come up with the ideas. It becomes Administrative when those ideas are taken and turned into policy.

There are alot of reasons why the website is vague when it comes to form. Its to be very loose. We have a bevin of our own and we will probably discuss stories there. As for a in game forum I would like to prevent us from just hopping into the city and start telling stories. That is something that not everyone wants to hear. For a storyteller the place is just as important to what is said. There are hoods that already exsist "that know of us" and are interested in hearing our stories. Those are the places where we would rather be. We want people to hinge on our every word not put us on ignore. :wink:

I've said alot. Im tring not to talk in circles if you have any other questions please ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

"As for a in game forum I would like to prevent us from just hopping into the city and start telling stories."

T's'okay. I'll try it on my own and tell you how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:37 pm 

I like this Guild idea. What is canon is sacred to me and that is why I ignored most of the fan made stories... the division between the two was too often blurred. If this Guild could provide some regulations I would love to hear these stories. The story that Reteltee last episode was brillant in my mind, I loved it. I welcome non-canon stories as long as they are regulatated.

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:

Careful what you say, eh? I was serious. Nothing in the original post explained what the Guild actually did!

Quote:
I'll give you a hint It tells a story!

There was nothing to indicate how this concept defined "story" (is it creative writing? Blogging? Cavern history? Fan-storylines?) or even how they were going to do the "telling" (In Bevins? In the City? On forums? Acting out storylines?)!!

As far as anyone knew, this guild was going to meet in Bevins and tell Grimm's Tales to each other over text chat.

Abguy has further explained the purpose and structure, and now I learn that it's about fan-storylines. It's still a little ambiguous, I should say...

But now that I know what it is, I think that it's quite a fine idea.

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]