It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

shimmerillion wrote:
I looked up guildofmessengers.com on WHOIS - it appears the owner is our very own Veralun! Perhaps he could be persuaded to share the domain?

I could, yes, be persuaded to share it. In fact, I am happy to let people start to build something with it. I would like best if it were a collaborative effort with many hands contributing to the design and functioning of it. So that's why when you go to that link there isn't yet anything there. It is an empty slate, ready to be written on. Although I could do it myself, I would prefer we all join in so everyone feels they are a part of the building of what could become the Guild of Messengers site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:47 pm 

sorry my bad Miles from thecaverntoday.org (Tim keller) owns www.guildofmessengers.org. I think he set up that splash screen before cyan were even talking about a GoM to the cavern. I'll setup a account tomorrow during my lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:03 am 

I started playing with the RSS this afternoon. Steve, what parameters are we looking at as far as hosting? Do you have PHP or ASP? What about database access?

This afternoon I created a test site and set it up to create and display one feed, but I haven't gotten it to mix multiple feeds by date yet. If anyone has something already created (that jives with Steve's parameters), that would save time. I looked at Planet Planet, but I wasn't sure what we were looking at as far as the server.

And yes, Andros (and whoever else), whatever help you can contribute is welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:32 am 
Obduction Backer

If the site has Python 2.2 and python-bdb, then it should be fine. The rest is fiddling with it and tweaking the layout.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've been very busy over the last week, so haven't been around much. (Met a very important deadline). Am finally catching up on some things.

BladeLakem wrote:
Myst Headlines (http://news.mystembassy.net) does this sort of thing. It'd be easy to set one up for the GoMes. (It even has some basic icons for many of the RSS feeds I aggregate).

The experiment with the RSS idea sounds interesting. Have you set that up yet, Blade, for people to try? Since you're already doing it, it makes to try yours first.

Quoting Jenine:
Quote:
While you are at it could you think of a way to coordinate and display all of your news groups "in cavern" as well? I found most of your magazines and podcast and stuff by searching the forums and the internet. Would have loved to have found out about all of you easily in the cavern too... Is it taboo to add your new web link to the end of a KI message or the imager in the pub?

I am being told over and over that we need to do more communicating in cavern for those that don't have the time to read all of the forum posts or search the internet...

Jenine, I absolutely agree -- more information in cavern! I think all newsy people would love to accomodate those wishes, but don't have access to a cavern-to-surface communications channel that is automatic. We also don't yet have access to imagers in order to play video.

As far as an actual Guild of Messengers website for the future, I've always been under the assumption that Cyan would determine the site, since a website can be a big headache but also good business (as all site owners know). Maybe they won't? Don't know. Anyway, I'm glad to see a few blank slates (empty domains) to fill with ideas and designs. The more choices the better for quality and participation, IMO.

Veralun wrote:
shimmerillion wrote:
I looked up guildofmessengers.com on WHOIS - it appears the owner is our very own Veralun! Perhaps he could be persuaded to share the domain?

I could, yes, be persuaded to share it. In fact, I am happy to let people start to build something with it. I would like best if it were a collaborative effort with many hands contributing to the design and functioning of it. So that's why when you go to that link there isn't yet anything there. It is an empty slate, ready to be written on. Although I could do it myself, I would prefer we all join in so everyone feels they are a part of the building of what could become the Guild of Messengers site.

I like your idea Veralun, for collaboration, as I believe involvement in the site itself leads to a feeling of collective ownership and investment. It would also alleviate that "fear of control" that seems to permeate some of the GoM discussions. Although I don't have a large amount of time, I would very much like to be involved in building the site, especially in regard to its capacity for video (players, bandwidth, and the rss subscriptions). The more people involved, the merrier I say!

BTW, since you were looking for possible hosts and sites, shimarillion, I started looking around, too. I was surprised that no one had registered www.guildofmessengers.net, so I did just for the heck of it. The host for my personal site is very good (I think) and there's lots of programs to play with (some that boggle my mind, some I've tackled). Lots of bandwidth and capabilities (and good customer service). There's a nice forum with a built-in calendar and rss feed that comes with it, just to let you know. So, when the time comes to think about different types of designs, artists and site builders (me included) will have several canvases to paint on.

One more thing to you posters in this thread. If you haven't already done so, think about adding yourselves as personal resources to the People Resource List. Web site building skills are very important and teachers are particularly welcome! A team of messengers that builds the messengers website could be awesome -- we could all learn a lot from each other. Don't be shy, I'm sure the GoM will use all the talent it can get!

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:24 pm 

Just an update, the account is currently being setup @ http://www.guildofmessengers.org

I have set up a free trial account with our current host - http://www.streamline.net/tu.php the account will switch over to the same type as the TCT account (Unlimited Home User) there are no restrictions on the account and it works just a Unlimited Home User account.

After the trial three months are up it will cost £44.99 a year, for that an unlimited bandwidth, unlimited sub domains, PHP5 server, MySQL server, Unlimited 20mb domain email accounts, unlimited email redirect accounts, excellent quick tech support (between 9am - 5:30pm GMT.)

To give you an idea we at TCT host a website, a forum, multiple RSS feeds, a wiki and three sub domains. Without any problems especially considering we put a minimum of 45Gb of traffic over a couple of days, there is an issue with forum connectivity at times when the sql servers get attacked but that just means forum load times can be a bit slow at times.

Its a hosting offer that can't be between I know because recently (about three weeks ago) I went looking around for a new host for TCT (see if I could get a better offer.)

If you have a platform you want to test out send me a PM and I'll let you know the login details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:36 pm 

Steve - that sounds very good, actually. I sent you a PM.

I would suggest having guildofmessengers.net and guildofmessengers.org both point to guildofmessengers.com . We can also create email addresses @guildofmessengers.com later on. :)

After I take a look inside the hosting, I will have a better idea of where we are. Andros has asked me to come up with a list of stuff so we can all cooperate and knock this thing out quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Guildofmessengers.org
find something interesting
Monday, October 08, 2007

This domain name expired on Oct 06, 2007
Click hereto renew it.

Uh oh.

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:38 am 

Umm the domain was set to expire on the 7th but if you look it was renewed so there is no problems there lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:43 am 

Um.... I'm getting the same message TNR is getting...

:?

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:39 am 

Heyho,
i love the idea of a GoM Homepage.
when youre ready with that, i want to help keeping it updated.
i also can translate to german if you want :)
good luck!

Greetings,
Helly :)

Post subject: Help Wanted
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 am 

The Guild of Messengers is looking for people who could help with the various aspects of the future Guild Of Messengers website.
Shimmerillion started this project but this website is a collective effort and a very good way for individual explorers to get involved in the Guild of Messengers. The more people working on this project, the faster we'll have OUR website where the work of every messenger matters.

Here are the jobs that are the most important right now to set up the website.

DESIGN: Designers can create 2-3 mockups (for an example [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]) . Then we can put together a final design from our favorite aspects of these proposals.
BLOGS: If someone wants to be in charge of setting up WordPress (or their blog software of choice) for the blog section, that would be great.
FORUM: Likewise, we need someone to research and test a good forum software, implement it, and come up with appropriate subforum topics.
MODS: If anyone wants to volunteer now for the job of moderator, please do!
TUTORIAL WRITERS: We need people to contribute basic tutorials on Messenger-related activities, such as resizing photos, filming/capturing video in cavern, playing music in cavern, etc.
RSS: We need to figure out exactly how the separate RSS feeds are going to be collected and displayed.
DATABASE: We will probably want some sort of user-authentication for affiliates to submit news.
NEWSBIN: How does news submitted via form get into the “Newsbin” section of the forum? Does anyone know of an automatic way, or will the forms just have to email the mods, and the mods add the news?
CALENDAR: My proposal is that for now, we just piggyback off of the GoG calendar, so we need someone to work with GoG to figure out how to make that happen. However, in the future the calendar really should be a Messenger task. We will need to start working on a dynamic, database-driven calendar that groups (via user-authentication) and explorers (with a CAPTCHA of course) can submit news to.
LINKS: We need someone to be in charge of collecting useful Messenger-related links, and organizing them into categories.
TRANSLATORS: Eventually we will want to translate the site into other languages. Do we also want to translate the news (via RSS)? How will that work?

If you are interested, you can reach me through [email protected]
If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear them.

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I could probably toy with some design ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:42 am 

I believe in you and your vision Tweek ;)
I'm looking forward to see your designs. :)

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:05 am 

I have an Video Blog (Runs WordPress) at: http://dhelayan.redio.de/
If you want, we can share this blog. then we should change the design ;)
and if you search for moderators, i want to help!

Greetings,
Helly

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next