It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Do you think the DRC has found a Rehehvkor?
yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:17 pm 

CONCERNING THE GAHROHEVTEE AND REHEVKOR

INTRODUCTION

The subject of the Gahrohevtee, or "Great Words", and Rehevkor, or "Book of Words" is one of great import to both the Guild of Writer's and the Cavern community as well, as they were to both the D'ni people and the Guild of Writers before the Fall. The following information is meant as a means of shedding light on these long forgotten artifacts of D'ni, and will discuss both in fact and theory how the concept of these ancient words and texts may be of great benefit to us as we endeavor to restore D'ni.

WHAT WE KNOW

What knowledge we do know of these ancient words and texts is fragmented at best, but we do know how the D'ni felt about them. They held these Words above all others; the Gahrohevtee were designed as a powerful tool of the Art of Writing and used as a means by which the Writer could literally "write"(describe within the pages of a book,using special inks, writings, and formulas) an Age. Within the design of these Great Words was infused the hopes,dreams,desires, wants,and needs of the Writer, and thus as he wrote he imposed these upon his writing and thus, the Age. These Great Words gave the Writer the ability to infuse ideas with physical reality; this was the great secret and power of the Art of Writing. Because of the nature fo these most flawless words, they were kept bound within Rehevkor, the Book of Words, to forever serve the needs of the Writer and his people in the Art. It is not clear if there were multiple copies of Rehevkor,but it is assumed that it existed as a single lexicon containing all the Gahrohevtee. Rehevkor was most likely given to the possesion of the Grandmasters of the Guild of Writers, but it's resting place is lost in history. It is not know if Rehevkor was within the City at the time of the Fall. Perhaps King Kadish hid Rehevkor in his vault. Perhaps the Bahro took it. Perhaps Calam had salvaged it from the ruins of the City. Perhaps Atrus knows of it. Perhaps Yeesha was given Rehevkor. In any case, the whereabouts of Rehevkor and the Gahrohevtee are unclear.

THE NATURE OF THE GREAT WORDS

Each Gahrohevtee or Great Word was most likely a direct reflection of the will being imposed by the Writer on an Age. Some Gahrohevtee most likely dealt with strong prose or poetry pertaining to an Age's descripton. A Gahrohevtee could be used to describe many things within an Age, including: flora, fauna, topography or geography, weather, colors, sounds, shapes, and much more. It is assumed that many Gahrohevtee represented the principle underpinnings of an Age, including: energy sources, the elements, and even certain objects or places within an Age. Many were probably used to describe the situation of an Age, including: balance/unbalance, harmony, change, cause/effect, and even the possibilities of civilization. When the need arose, the Writer chose carefully the correct Gahrohevtee needed to produce the desired effect. Anna told Atrus that a word can be both a label and an idea; the Gahrohevtee appear to be just that. Each Great Word(label) represented the will(idea) of the Writer. It is not clear if the Gahrohevtee were written in the same manner as the D'ni language, or if they were even used in conjunction with it. Some mention has been made of changing or altering the penstrokes of the writing of a Descriptive Book to produce Prison Books; however the case remains unclear. It is assumed that the Gahrohevtee could be altered, as Atrus did when he tried to save Riven by repairing the damage to the Age, and that the experienced Writer was able to do so if the need arose. The effects in an Age were caused directly by the will of the Writer imposed through the Gahrohevtee, and it is assumed that the Writer had complete control of the usage, variation, and effect achieved of these most powerful Great Words.

The Gahrohevtee and Rehevkor were the fulcrum of the Art of Writing and as such were held in high honor by all peoples of D'ni. They were the means by which the Writer obtained the desires of his people in his Writing, and thus they embodied the ideas of the Cavern. Many Ages proved beneficial to the Cavern community, providing rescources not found within the Cavern, and Ages were most likely approved or rejected depending upon what they could offer or how much they could benefit the Cavern community. It was in such ways that the Gahrohevtee served not only the Writer but the common D'ni as well.

THEORY

The following information is meant to give an understanding of how a system of words or symbols like the Gahrohevtee could be applied and understood by all.

During my journey in Narayan I noticed something that struck my innermost thoughts about the Gahrohevtee. Two walls embelleshed with symbols, each symbol labeled according to it's idea. The sheer sight of the symbols brought the Gahrohevtee and Rehevkor to mind. I had to ask myself, could this be what the original Gahrohevtee were like; a wondrous composition of the most primal forces of existance, all contained within Rehevkor? And then I realized that this was the way. They way for all people to see the Gahrohevtee and to know their meanings. If Rehevkor could be found, or even the knowledge of it gained somehow, this could be the most profound way of providing that knowledge to us all. The Gahrohevtee could be written on plaques or cover stones, just as the Narayan symbols had been, along with their names and ideas; labels and ideas. The thought of what Anna said to Atrus came back to greet me. I pondered at the wondrous power that could be contained in a single word, a label, an idea. I imagined a D'ni where it could be possible for the entire Cavern as a community to weild the Gahrohevtee and to contribute their hopes,dreams,desires,wants, and needs into the Writing of Ages. These plaques or cover stones could be placed within access of all people, allowing everyone to understand the idea of each Great Word. Then the desires of the Cavern could be written by the hand of the Writer into new Ages, Ages that could be beneficial to everyone. Cavern Ages. The thought of it all was overwhelming. Could it have been that on that day in Narayan, I was within the bounds of understanding the true nature of Rehevkor and the Gahrohevtee? One can only dream of such things, unless it is by the will of the Maker that he understand them; or by the cast of the roll that he does not.

CONCLUSION

Perhaps someday Rehevkor will be discovered amongst the remains of D'ni. One can only guess at the wonders we may uncover as we explore further the history, beauty, and tragedy of this fallen civilization. In any case, one thing remains clear- the Gahrohevtee, however mystical they may be, if ever found will prove to be of great import to us in Writing new Ages. Perhaps, knowing what we do know about Rehevkor and the Gahrohevtee, we may some day be able to create our own Great Words, design our own labels, infuse them with our own ideas. Until that day comes let us grow the new Tree and our hearts with the Water of Knowledge, and strive to know all we can about the Gahrohevtee and how the concept of these Great Words might benefit us in the coming days of the restoration of D'ni.

5TheStranger5
KI #: 07486306, 08445282{R}
5TheStranger5's Bevin ~ Writer's Pub ~ Cavern of D'ni

Last edited by 5THESTRANGER5 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

The gahrohevtee could well have been like the symbols in Narayan, but they may also have been words written with the standard alphabet. We don't know. By the way, Kadish was not a king. I think it's possible that the DRC has discovered the Hevkor; if they hadn't I don't think they would have started the Guild of Writers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:51 pm 

Quote:
Perhaps someday Rehevkor will be discovered amongst the remains of D'ni.

It was badly damaged; restoration work on it is on going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:34 am 

Gorobay, i agree and i also think they most likely resemble written words(or at times even whole phrases)and may even have special penstrokes that set them apart from all other D'ni words(which could be an explanation of how they could be altered to produce a variety of Books as well as varying effects on an Age). For the record i indeed stand corrected as Kadish was in fact, not a king of D'ni, as kingship had long been done away with at the time of the Fall(an error on my part because i forgot quotation marks around the word "king", as i was intending to use it to imply that he wanted to be king[a title i am sure he would have taken no doubt, as he also thought he was the Grower]), so thx a heap for clearing that up. If the DRC has found this Book i think it would benifit us in our efforts to write new Ages to have access to it's knowledge(in some way) at some point; perhaps they have indeed found Rehehvkor and would have never implemented a future Guild of Writers without it(a good guess)...a blind grab is the best we can do without further proof. Other material things will be required as well in order to produce Ages, like inks and blank Books, and perhaps they have some of those as well. I do agree, it's an interesting subject, one worthy of further discussion, and your insight is much appreciated. :)
...............................................................................................................................................................................
MustardJeep, have they actually found this Book and, if so, how can we know for sure? I have heard and read a lot about it but was unaware that it had been found and was being restored. If so, whom, or what source, can verify this awesome find? Would be great to be able to find out more about it. :)

5TheStranger5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:29 pm 

Quote:
MustardJeep, have they actually found this Book and, if so, how can we know for sure? I have heard and read a lot about it but was unaware that it had been found and was being restored. If so, whom, or what source, can verify this awesome find? Would be great to be able to find out more about it. :)

Depends on who you mean by "they", but yes it is real.

The reality of it is perhaps some what less then you are probably hoping for, but since you want more information I'll send you a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 am 

Just heard back from one of my contacts I mentioned in my PM.

Now I feel even more lucky to have gotten to see it a while back, it was as much as I could do to get them to admit I had already seen it. I'll keep at them however. :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:14 am 

Garohevtee is plural. Any time you see "-tee" at the end of a D'ni word you should think of it as an "s" at the end of an English word. "A Garohev." "Many Garohevtee."

I tend to think of the Great Words as the equivalent of Kanji in Japanese as opposed to Katakana. A derivative, but more complicated and therefore only used ceremonially or in other special circumstances. Of course the difference is that regarohevtee are only used for Writing.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:31 am 

Wonderful observation Loshem :idea: ......tnx for the input! :D

5TheStranger5
KI: 07486306
5TheStranger5's Bevin~Writer's Pub~Cavern of D'ni

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]