It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:23 am 

I was just noticing how GoW and GoMa are not necessarily effected by the end of MO:UL. Their work has always been centered in things outside of the online game. I also noticed that GoMe has stepped up in filling a need for communication among explorers that Cyan's absence will leave.

It makes me wonder if Cyan saw cancellation as a possibility back in September and encouraged our forming the Guilds as a way for us to be organized and connected even if MO:UL died. It was frustrating when we felt unsupported by Cyan or when we felt they were unclear, but now they are leaving and the Guilds belong to us. Now it turns out that the end of any Cyan owned or run resources will not end the Guilds. We made them, we run them and we will run them.

We worried that Cyan was using the Guilds and their potential productivity to reduce their need to create content. Now it turns out that the content we create is the only content we will have. Maybe Cyan saw destruction coming, maybe they hedged their bet, or maybe they got lucky, but the Guilds are an important part of sustaining this community.

D'ni was the Guilds. We are the D'mala and we, not Cyan or the DRC, are the Guilds.

Horatio

MOULa KI: 00214606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:51 am 

I agree with you completely.

After a few hours from when the announcement was made, my initial shock and sadness evaporated. Being involved in the Maintainers Guild, and also working with the Writers to create my own Training Ages for the Maintainers, I knew I'd still be making Ages simply to have fun with and to share with friends.

But then everything about the Guilds, and all the "cryptic hints" from Cyan seemed to fall into place. Going back to the Deceptions Episode. Where Dr. Watson's last speech to us pretty much said that if the community did not set aside it's differences and learn to work together, all would be lost. That the Guilds seemed to be a good answer to this.

And of course the phrase "Destruction is coming. Find a way. Make a home."

While the Guilds can not promise everyone that we can make another MOUL for everyone, we can promise to work hard at trying to keep everyone together and in touch. To find ways for people to still explore and have fun.

Even with Rand's slightly hopeful comment in that email (about looking into Cyan running the servers), we are still looking at ways to continue. Better to be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.

The Writers will continue to create Ages, develope even better tools for this. But even now they are looking into things that might breath life into a MORPG, no promisies, but no harm in trying to plan things either.
The Maintainers have vowed to back the Writers up. We've already gained very valuble experiences in testing Fan Ages already, and have learned how to find things that can cause problems. We're constantly looking at things that can help keep people active or get them involved.
The Messengers want to help keep people in touch with any and everything that is going on. They don't want people to be in the dark. Alone and no longer able to hear about stuff, is something that they are fighting against, and will be a very key player in making things a reality.

The Cartographers have work too if they want. Many Writers would kill for a map of their Age to look like the ones that they've done. They are some of the most beautiful art work that I've seen.

And believe it or not, the Greeters have an important function, both now and possibly in the future. New people are still showing up in the Cavern, demanding to know what is going on, and what will happen. They can help spread the word of the Guilds, and how we can still build a community.
Later, I can see them being key in helping get new people involved with whatever we end up building, helping them learn how to do some of the things we are doing now.

So yes, it all fits, in a very strange way. Almost as if they knew this would happen, and that it would be important for the Guilds to exisist if any type of Uru Live were to continue on.

I can promise you this: As long as the Guilds exisist, we will not let go of this dream, and will continue to work on it. :D

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Can anyone post instructions on how to join a guild?

Clear instructions would be great and brevity would be appreciated!

Thx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:47 am 

simply go to any of the Guild forums and express your interest.

www.guildofwriters.com
www.guildofmessengers.com
www.guildofgreeters.com
www.guildofmaintainers.org
(Guild of Cartographers)
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... ct=SF&f=65

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:08 am 

church99 wrote:
Can anyone post instructions on how to join a guild?

Clear instructions would be great and brevity would be appreciated!

Thx!

See also Horatio252's helpful FAQs about the guilds:

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=244992#244992

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks everyone!

Done and joined! 8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]