It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Joining a Guild
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:07 am 

I have received a few questions about joining a Guild so I thought I would create a mini FAQ. I expect that with MO:UL ending, active members and new members of the community may look more and more seriously at getting involved with a Guild. Feel free to reply with corrections, additions or further questions. I will keep this top post updated.

Who are the Major Guilds and where do I find them?

The Guild of Writers is a group that creates Ages using specific software. These Ages can be explored offline with Uru : Complete Chronicles and a free plug-in. You can find them at www.guildofwriters.com . You can find more information at DPWR here : http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?au ... cle&id=907

The Guild of Messengers works to facilitate communication within the whole Myst community through various mediums. They can be found at www.guildofmessengers.com . You can find more information at DPWR here: http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?au ... cle&id=904

The Guild of Greeters works especially to serve new players, but in doing so serves as a central place for communication and information within the Myst Community. You can find them at www.guildofgreeters.com . You can find more information at DPWR here : http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?au ... cle&id=903

The Guild of Maintainers has as it's main task beta testing the Ages that the Guild of Writers create. They also take on other projects to help serve the community. You can find them at www.guildofmaintainers.org . You can find more information at DPWR here : http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?au ... cle&id=906

The Guild of Cartographers creates detailed maps of the Ages and Areas in the all of the games. They can be found at http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... ct=SF&f=65 . You can find more information at DPWR here : http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?au ... cle&id=905

How do I join a Guild?

Excluding the Guild of Greeters (see below), the Guilds have no or minimal requirements for joining. The best first step in joining is to go to the main site of the Guild (as listed above) and look for a recruitment thread on the forums or just post your interest in the general discussion section. It is most helpful if when you post you indicate why you are interested in joining, what your relevant skills are and any projects you know about that you want to get involved with. The Guilds are happy to welcome new people.

The Guild of Greeters is different. They have official status with Cyan and they expect a certain level of experience and commitment from their members. It is best to talk with the Guild of Greeters directly to find out more about the specifics. Since MO:UL will be ending soon they are not accepting new members at this time.

Do I need to have programming experience to join the Guild of Writers?

No, you do not, but it sure helps. The Guild is continuing to work on training programs for members without any previous experience. There are also some roles which require no or minimum programming ( story development, concepts, sound, etc.). It is best to talk with members of the Guild of Writers directly about their needs in these capacities as they vary.

What is expected of me after I join a Guild?

Only what you say you are going to do. There is no minimum workload or minimum hours you need to spend playing the game in order to be an "official" member. As with all groups, those who do more work are more highly regarded, but the amount of work you do is up to you. If you say will do something though you are expected to do it.

The Guild of Greeters in an exception as far as responsibilities. They do require a certain level of commitment and you should talk with them if you wish to find out more.

Can I join multiple Guilds?

Yes, you can join multiple guilds, but I don't recommend it. You don't want to stretch your time so far that you are not contributing to any of the Guilds you belong to.

Which Guilds and groups are "official"?

The only Guild that is truly official is the Guild of Greeters. They are sanctioned and supported by Cyan. The four other major guilds, while formed due to the encouragement of Cyan (except for GoC which has been around longer), do not, and may never, have official recognition from Cyan. Besides the five Major Guilds there are only a few other groups with a similar level of "semi-official" status due to the DRC interacting with them.

If you are wondering if the group or guild you are thinking about joining is a well respected group then that is a more difficult question. There is no registry of well respected groups or guilds which you can look up. Instead status is mostly given based on how well known a group is and its size. If you have a found a group's forum you can look at how many people have posted there and how recently or frequently people post. This will at least tell you how large and how active the group is. This link has most of the better known groups, regardless of whether they use the term "guild" in their name: http://www.mystonline.com/links.html .

What are unofficial or minor Guilds?

The term "guild" comes from the story of Uru, so while it is not used as generically as in other MMO's, there are guilds for a variety of things, some based on the story elements of Uru, and some original. You will find these groups just as friendly as the major guilds, though likely smaller and often less organized.

Feel free to post any other questions here and I or someone else will try to answer them.

Last edited by horatio252 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:58 pm 

Please note that the Guild of Greeters is no longer taking applications for membership because of the impending shutdown. Being a Greeter is fun, but there soon will be no need. Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:10 pm 

Thanks for the information, Lord Chaos. I edited the top post to reflect that GoG is not accepting new members at this time.

Horatio

MOULa KI: 00214606

Post subject: thanks for the info.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Horatio- thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if one guild needs members more than others? Is that something ot contact the guild of messengers for? Is there one place where we can link to each of the guilds? (aside from from this message here)

Thanks again for the info. This is exactly what I- and we needed!

Post subject: thanks for the info.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:49 am 
Obduction Backer

sorry- double post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:28 am 

Church,
I do not know who is most in need of members and I would not expect GoMe to know any more. As noted GoG is not looking for people, but the others I believe are all keeping as busy as possible and would appreciate another hand.

The Guild Support Network ( http://www.guildsupportnetwork.com/ ) was established to be a hub for those interested in the Guilds, and it has links to both the guild's websites and as well as other relevant links.

The GoMe main page also has links to all the other main guilds.

Best Regards,
Horatio

MOULa KI: 00214606

Post subject: Perfect!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Ah perfect!

Thanks for the link. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:09 am 

Guild of Maintainers and Guild of Writers are always actively accepting new members, as we can continue our work without the game running online. :) Please check out either website at the addresses above!

In loving memory of James Oliver Rigney, 1948-2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Guild of Archivists, while completely unofficial and totally unsanctioned by Cyan, is in somewhat desperate need of enthusiastic, history-minded individuals to help complete a build-out of its informational archive before the closure of Myst Online. More information is available here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:34 pm 

GoMe is accepting new members.

Mostly we need "reporters" - people to scour the many and sundry forums and post any news of interest to the GoMe master feed. There is no formal application - just anyone who has time to help out.

Post subject: Guild of Linguists
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:31 pm 

shorah, I am karoh and over time I have been involved with different sites that deal with linguistics, such as DLF. I see a Linguists giuld has not started here yet. Is there a possibility that one may begin? If not, would the Guild of Archivists be the place I might be of help?

Post subject: Re: Guild of Linguists
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

karoh wrote:
I see a Linguists giuld has not started here yet.

Where is "here"? If you mean on this forum, guilds are not hosted here. Besides, there is already the DLF, which you mentioned.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]