It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:59 pm 

I don't know that the DLF is a Guild per se, but this seemed the best place to ask about it.

What is the current status of that group, and how does one get in contact with them? The website is not being kept current, and does not allow for good communication with interested guests.

I attempted to register with them several months ago, but never got a validation or any other response. When I tried to log in a little bit ago, my name and membership were not recognized, so I assume it never went through.

A number of the GoMa members and friends in There.com need to open conversation on some linguistic matters, but the DLF does not seem to be set up to handle that just now.

I amaware that RAWA has been basically incommunicado for/with them since last November, and I am aware that for that reason as of mid February the group was wondering if the project was being abandoned. I don't know how that all turned out, but if the DLF site is any indication, it does not look good.

The D'ni Dictionary is out of date, missing such obvious toponyms as Tsogol and Delin, even though the "primary" dictionary was supposedly updated "recently." [Last updated : 9 Leevosahn 9663 (A.D. 2008). I was not able to find a table that would identify what those elements correspond to in a surface calendar.]

To be honest, the whole thing looks like a mess, and I am sorry to see it in such a state. Is anything going on with them? Can anything be done to help? What is needed?

If this is too hot to handle in an open discussion for some reason, then perhaps someone could PM me, and all forgive me for stumbling into it. No harm intended.

---Stejovis
GoMa Ambassador to There.com
KI #10695353

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

I play WoW with Jerle (the sites owner) so I'll point her to this thread when I see her next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Updates:
"9 Leevosahn 9663" is January 12, 2008. The website hasn't been updated much because there's nothing really to update about. As for the Dictionary, you're probably referring to Kh'reestrefah's Dictionary. It's actually quite updated; "delin" & "tsogahl" are probably the only things lacking, largely because we don't know what they mean ;)

Registering:
Sorry that your registration didn't go through; we had problems w/Spam-Bots a few months back, so our Mods started verifying everything manually. Try again, or e-mail "dnigrammar" at yahoo dot com. Jerle should spot your registration attempt soon :)

Info:
The heart of DLF activity is on the web-boards, so again, very important to register. Not much is going on, w/no new Myst/Uru/D'ni material coming out. But a few people are in the beginning stages of making another "Rekorokh Deseekaytee" (D'ni language puzzle-book for Mysterium :D).

Any other questions? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

As an organization, the DLF is really just a place to gather more than any sort of Guild. If you need linguistic help, hop on the forums or poke individual members on other forums.

The D'ni Dictionary is pretty much the best list of D'ni vocabulary besides RAWA's own. It doesn't have Tsogal and Delin because they are names - if they mean something independent of that, we don't know about it.

The D'ni Linguistic Research project was a project started by RAWA in response to a fan initiative to begin developing the language ourselves. He was letting us come up with potwential words to fill out his list and then choosing ones to make official. That seems to have fallen by the wayside since the cancellation of MOUL, however.

Mystlore is slowly making a dictionary of D'ni terms, so if you want to assist with that, you should check out the site.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:37 pm 

The Fellowship is a wonderful resource and venue for peer review of ongoing research and work in D'ni linguistics and related studies, and there is much to study and learn from on the board and from all the members. Very worth and vaulable resource indeed.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:45 pm 

K'laamas wrote:
Registering:
Sorry that your registration didn't go through; we had problems w/Spam-Bots a few months back, so our Mods started verifying everything manually. Try again, or e-mail "dnigrammar" at yahoo dot com. Jerle should spot your registration attempt soon :)
Any other questions? :)

Thanks K'laamas. When I checked my email last night I got the word that it is approved. :D

The rest of my questions I can take up with the Fellowship.

BladeLakem wrote:
Mystlore is slowly making a dictionary of D'ni terms, so if you want to assist with that, you should check out the site.

Thanks for the heads up on this BL. I am not yet familiar with Mystlore and don't know the site. When I tried mystlore.com I got a wiki, which does include a dictionary. Is that the project to which you were referring?

My interest right now is less on lexicon (the word store) of this language than on its grammar. However, before I can get into that, I need to see what has been done, including the things that are not part of the final state. For that I need to see some archives, and I am hoping the Fellowship has something like that.

So, I will be heading for the DLF. Thanks again to all for your help.

--Stejovis
GoMa Ambassador to There.com
KI #10695353

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stejovis wrote:
When I tried mystlore.com I got a wiki, which does include a dictionary. Is that the project to which you were referring?

That is indeed the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:01 pm 

Many thanks for the heads up on the Mystlore wiki. They have quite a project going there, and it is more than just a dictionary. It looks like a great resource.

Wouldn't you know that no sooner do I get clearance for registered access to the DLF forums, than a glitch of some kind develops. For reasons not clear to me i have not been able to access that site today, though I have tried at intervals from two different machines. I cannot reach the homepage or resources, let alone the forums.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the DLF site today. Or does anyone know if they were scheduled for some kind of maintainence downtime?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Speaking of which, is anyone having trouble getting into MYSTlore? I can't access it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:44 am 

Gorobay wrote:
Speaking of which, is anyone having trouble getting into MYSTlore? I can't access it at all.

I'm having the same problem there too, now.

Is there a force out that that doesn't want me to dig into D'ni grammar? :shock:

Spooky.

--Stejovis (with tongue in cheek).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]