It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

At some point, there has to be a control on the flow of tools, or doing technical QA will be a pain in the tush.

If you have people using and adapting and engineering multiple different tools, then the GoM is going to have to have someone who can use each of those tools well enough to see if things break.

It's not at all unreasonable for a company to say "If you want to play in our sandbox, you need to use these tools, from this source". It helps them ensure a level of technical stability.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:44 pm 

Eleri wrote:
At some point, there has to be a control on the flow of tools, or doing technical QA will be a pain in the tush.

If you have people using and adapting and engineering multiple different tools, then the GoM is going to have to have someone who can use each of those tools well enough to see if things break.

It's not at all unreasonable for a company to say "If you want to play in our sandbox, you need to use these tools, from this source". It helps them ensure a level of technical stability.

The tools aren't what needs inspecting, it's the content that will be distributed that has to be tested. If someone wants to use Notepad and a hex editor to make their Age that's fine with me as long as it works. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:12 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

SCGreyWolf wrote:
If someone wants to use Notepad and a hex editor to make their Age that's fine with me as long as it works. :)

Yee-ouch! That would be in the grandest of ENIAC traditions. Why not just toggle an age bit-wise into the front panel with lots of pretty blinky lights. Hoo boy. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure how this topic went down this path... never mind don't answer that. ;-)

Not sure how this will exactly work but when the source of the plugins become available, it should be made available to all provided they agree with a terms of use, or license agreement or what ever legal-ease document provided. If you hit the button that says "I agree" then you get the source. If you don't then no soup for you.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:15 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The point has been made that those terms should be published and easily available without needing to reach the 'Accept' button first, but that an 'Accept' button with terms attached is, um, acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

We may be missing something in all this discussion about who gets to do what and who gets to tell whom what. Cyan has temporarily structured MORE to not make a profit. Remember? Every function or service they can farm out to fans of one ilk or another is something they don't have to pay for right now. It seems clear that some there are itching to continue the D'ni/URU story. But, just now, they can do almost nothing. So they are exploring ways to pass the work to fans who they can't pay. Of necessity, they must use fan folks to do the work and make most of the daily decisions. This must include ordinary judgments about quality and appropriateness etc. Cyan cannot afford to interface directly and daily with every fan who wants to work on fan content. So they appear to be leaning toward the guilds as their default choice. I think they hope to function as an appeal process to keep things fair. If we categorically refuse to accept other fans’ decisions and guidance it is again already over. To succeed, MORE needs our flexibility more than anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:16 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
SCGreyWolf wrote:
If someone wants to use Notepad and a hex editor to make their Age that's fine with me as long as it works. :)

Yee-ouch! That would be in the grandest of ENIAC traditions. Why not just toggle an age bit-wise into the front panel with lots of pretty blinky lights. Hoo boy. ;)

I have an Altair-8800 somewhere... Would that work? It's not as big as the ENIAC was, but it has toggle switches. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
no soup for you.

That's a good episode :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:31 am 

SCGreyWolf wrote:
Eleri wrote:

The tools aren't what needs inspecting, it's the content that will be distributed that has to be tested. If someone wants to use Notepad and a hex editor to make their Age that's fine with me as long as it works. :)

Notepad and a hex editor are the only way to make Ages... tools are for people who want the easy way out :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
Notepad and a hex editor are the only way to make Ages... tools are for people who want the easy way out :P

The real test is whether you can make Ages with just one end of a fiber optic cable and a pen light. ;)

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:59 am 

BladeLakem wrote:
Paradox wrote:

The real test is whether you can make Ages with just one end of a fiber optic cable and a pen light. ;)

Bah... I once created the Internet with a piece of aluminum wire and a crank generator...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:11 am 

SCGreyWolf = Al Gore? :shock:

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 am 
Obduction Backer

SCGreyWolf wrote:
Bah... I once created the Internet with a piece of aluminum wire and a crank generator...

Generators are for those incapable of generating using a piece of wire and a magnet!

The REAL trick to age creation is just that. A fridge magnet and a hard drive.

Er, but I think Chogon was right. Except we went from divergence to REAL divergence.

And you know, ironically, it's a good point. We really get off topic in threads. REALLY off topic. Are we sure we want to trust us with the full distribution and authorization of ages, notably approval and development of all this stuff? Can we resist the temptation to take the 3ds plugin and say "There! And if you can't get 3d studio, our Blender plugin has all the features too. So you have no argument about the tools, because blender is free and 3ds is good, so shut up or develop it yourself!"?

Mmmh. We have good intentions but after some of the stuff our community has gone through I'm not so sure. I'll believe it when I see it.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:43 am 

Gondar wrote:
Er, but I think Chogon was right. Except we went from divergence to REAL divergence.

And you know, ironically, it's a good point. We really get off topic in threads. REALLY off topic. Are we sure we want to trust us with the full distribution and authorization of ages, notably approval and development of all this stuff?

And this completely explains why you don't see me much on this forum anymore. No offense to anyone specific, but (ironically!) it's reminding me too much of the Official SL Forum (in regards to repeated complaints and banter). I have problems with that nowadays, since I had the inglorious job of being one of their first 'ResMods;' Spent most of my month defending our purpose! *sigh*

You'll still see me on UO at times, but I've mostly moved back to GoW (with some occasional glances toward GoG, where my Uru forum days began). If I *really* want to rant, I've got my own site for that. *points at sig*

*Goes back to lurking*

--TSK

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3