It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:58 pm 

Nynaveve wrote:
Alahmnat wrote:
Sorry to dredge this up rather than posting on the GoFA forum, but I didn't want to register for a one-off post and potentially never be back (I already did that on GoMa's forum ;)... I kid!)...

Well... Pfffttt!! :P See if I give you the pretty Archivist Green. .... oh I already did. /doh!

yes, and i saw you gave Szark a golden messenger color, yay :)
Nyn... care/ready for GoFa crossover?! :D

(sorry for threadjacking, please see alahmnat's question 2 posts above)

Guild of Messengers :: Myst & Uru NewsCavern Calendarrel.to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alahmnat wrote:
Sorry to dredge this up rather than posting on the GoFA forum, but I didn't want to register for a one-off post and potentially never be back (I already did that on GoMa's forum ;)... I kid!)...

There's been some conversation over at DPWR about how storytellers will be worked into the Guild structure, and how the GoA will play into that. I'm inclined to say that the GoA will provide assistance with story development insofar as it pertains to compliance and reference, but that storytellers ought to gravitate to the GoFA for actual story development and planning. Tweek, since you seem somewhat in charge, I'd like to invite you, and anyone else from the GoFA who is interested in this discussion, to chime in with your thoughts at DPWR (or here, or wherever... just make sure I know where you're posting ;)).

I've already posted over there (but will echo it here). I personally feel that the scope of the storytellers should fall under the GoFA but it's not something we've discussed. I've brought the issue up over on the GoFA planning forum to see what people think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I would be all over a guild of Fine Artists. Hopefully it'd be able to get a pub and everything eventually. :)

My only concern would then be this- as a member of The Cavern Today, I feel like I am a de-facto member of the guild of Messengers. If a guild of Fine artists comes up, which would in fact define the kind of work I and many others do over at tct, I'd be confused as to whether that would make me eligible for the messengers or the fine artists. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:12 am 

Maurus wrote:
I'd be confused as to whether that would make me eligible for the messengers or the fine artists. :o

I'm sure Tweek and the rest of us in the GoFA won't mind if you are in both. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:51 am 
Obduction Backer

A lot of the Guilds are going to have area's that bleed into the work of other Guilds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:57 pm 

Marus, you are eligible for both. Actually, you are eligible for any, all, or none of the guilds as you wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lynnutte wrote:
Marus, you are eligible for both. Actually, you are eligible for any, all, or none of the guilds as you wish.

That too, a lot of the guilds have a very open policy for joining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Funny, I just joined to GoW forum and suggested a db for content in the Introduce Yourself thread.
I'm interested in creating a database for creators to reference. I'll post more over at the Guild of Fine Artists forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:16 pm 

How do I sign up for this? It looks like an awesome idea! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:57 pm 

Cooper, page one, five posts down, you will find this web address. http://artists.grey-skies.net/ which is the GoFA.
Szark

Post subject: The New GoFA and the GoW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 pm 

Having just come back from vacation, I find that:
We owe a great deal to Tweek for his support toward a GoFA.
[Now if I could just figure how to trigger the GoFA 'Join' button, I wouldn't feel so out in the cold.]

ESSAY
Meanwhile, I have been thinking about the very reasonable cautions people have expressed for joining the GoW. For those who find my reasoning tedious, I completely understand and suggest you cut to the chase and go to the bottom of this message.

For those who want to poke holes in my argument, I begin with the the 'PRO' camp.
It impressed me that BAD had this to say:

Quote:
The artistic side of the GOW is now suffering in the worst way.
We have many very talented modelers, coders, and thinkers,
but very few artists and writers.

Here I agree. We of course see 'artists and writers' in the general sense, including all the arts, but especially noting how needed are the 3D skills. These naturally include the manipulation of time and space by musicians, poets and dancers, but also the sequential potential found in all Icon-making.

And BAD's most telling reality is:

Quote:
Without artists, the GOW is just a place to learn how ages are made.
Without the GOW, Uru fans in here will only dream of seeing their ideas come to life in MORE.

In other words, without getting the techies in GoW excited enough to use the work of the GoFA, there is not much market for our art work.

Still, iron bound as that little reality must seem, it does not mean that the 'Artists' should proceed without caution. From my experience in the GoW, there is also this 'CON' camp of thinking, and I truly feel the following issues should be kept in mind:

Someone said:
Quote:
My only fear is having two separate Guilds and watering down the membership to only just a few, in both Guilds.

Ian Atrus did not see the two separate camps as a problem, and I would go one step further: I think it is necessary that GoFA keep as much independence in the beginning as possible. If later there is reason to be placed under the control of GoW, creating a single W&FA body (combining their weak recognition of the arts with our stronger sense of them), then let it happen later.

Let me use BAD's words to emphasize a very deep seated problem. He said:

Quote:
It also seems that any effort to put up art and get it recognized is stifled by the 2 pages average of technical discussions.

In other words, BAD assumes that artistic attempts in GoW has been buried under the weight of 'technical discussions'.

I should express it differently -- as an abiding separation between technical thinking and artistic thinking. Susanne Langer spelled it out years ago as the unavoidable differences between minds which think linearly versus those which comprehend spatially. She called the one, Discursive thinking and the other Presentational thinking. [Cf. Philosophy in a New Key; 1942]

This rift between the two minds later became expressed as the mentalities of Left Brain versus Right Brain. It doesn't matter much that we understand just how these two mentalities work, but I feel compelled to warn that I have never seen a situation where it has risen to the surface any more forcefully than here – right now.

So, I submit this as the synopsis of the problem which the GoFA faces at the moment:

Quote:
1. The techies of the GoW have so far shown that they have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with the Art of 3D Planning and Presentation Making; for them, I think they feel that this bridge can be crossed at a later date – if at all. Here and now, they feel, the problem of reducing the weight of polygons to a handy size is the problem weighing upon them, and if later decisions on the 'beautiful' are needed, they can should be able to take care of that well enough themselves.

2. This means that very nearly all of the work undertaken by the GoW teams and individuals in producing ages is done with too little understanding of just how the aesthetic outcome will shape up. Some ages have a quick plan – an island perhaps, with a mountain and a lake – and then it is fill in, best as one may. Here, the accident of discovery rules. Hmmm. That leaf looks good; lets try another here.

Many artists also work this way, letting the act of discovery rule their progress as they stumble from one event to the next. For them, joining the GoW should present no problem. The problem is that they won't have a lot to offer the techies. Contrarily, for those 'Artists' who have experience in laying out environments, there will be considerable assistance that they may provide the GoW age makers – provided the age makers are willing to accept that assistance.

So far, the GoW age makers have simply not been convinced that they need a 'better looking' age. Not being tuned to a higher level of aesthetic completion, they have, until now, been much more satisfied with conquering the technical problems than the aesthetic ones. It is not an uncommon problem. I have seen it all my professional life. So far, I have not been able to convince the GoW that their way leads to mediocre work, at best.

BAD suggest that he is aware of these problems in his summary (above). Perhaps he and Hoikas can encourage an opening in the wall which will allow true artistic participation. If the mods show as much interest in creating a platform for FA work as they have in keeping forum commentary uncritical and politically correct, then the new GoFA should find a very nice reception for their work.

However, I stress first that the members of the GoFA must find strength amongst themselves. If they overcome the egotisms (so typical of artists and which have mired many age projects too) – if they can come together as a whole and unveil a concerted direction for their talents (no small task), then they will stand a much better chance of getting the GoW to accept their hard won aesthetic work. As BAD says, they sorely need it.

It is based upon this condition of a strong GoFA that I most certainly recommend them joining their work to the GoW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:14 pm 

I can't believe I just found this topic! You can definitely count me in. I've been waiting for something like this to be created, because I've joined both the Guild of Maintainers and the Guild of Writers, posted work for an Age I'm developing, and gotten not as much response as I'd hoped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

As Ace mentioned in the first post, the Guild of Artisans did have a hood but after the Prologue stopped, only about three of our original members returned. Kinda hard to keep things going after that. The guild was meant to include all artists, from painting, to digital, to music, and more, and if anyone wants to restart the guild, they're welcome to. At one time, I'd read somewhere that the D'ni did have a Guild of Artisans, which is why I used that name. I still have the forum as well if folks would like to start using it.

KI: 2196146

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lyssa wrote:
As Ace mentioned in the first post, the Guild of Artisans did have a hood but after the Prologue stopped, only about three of our original members returned. Kinda hard to keep things going after that. The guild was meant to include all artists, from painting, to digital, to music, and more, and if anyone wants to restart the guild, they're welcome to. At one time, I'd read somewhere that the D'ni did have a Guild of Artisans, which is why I used that name. I still have the forum as well if folks would like to start using it.

That would be a great idea, the last few months have seen me preparing to move to another country and get married (if all goes according to plan), so I don't have the time to devote to keeping the ball rolling at the moment, and I can't really say when I will have the time.

If you do get the ball rolling over at your forums I'd like it if you'd mirror the discussions that took place on the GoFA Forums there. There is a lot of conversation on structure and the proposal with the Guild of Writers that is worth keeping and continuing with IMO.

Last edited by Tweek on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:57 am 

Congradulations Tweek! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next