It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, I'm back again!

Given the current circumstances the Guild of Archivists finds itself in with regard to possible involvement in approval of story in FCAL requests, I've decided that I need to kick things into high gear and actually get some official work done on an official Guild. To that end, I've set up a thread for discussing this subject on DPWR, which is now the Guild of Archivists' home base. While I will keep an eye out for comments in this thread, I'd prefer that those interested in making the GoA a reality please come discuss this process at DPWR. Registration only takes a couple of minutes tops, and you'll need to be registered there eventually anyway if you plan on joining ;). I'm wide open to suggestions regarding anything and everything I'm putting forward for discussion.

Relevant topic: http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5312

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:56 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Hey, nice. Congrat's!

Now you're a "D'ni Historian." That's a rather fine pedigree.

As I see more work getting done with good people in the lead, it shows me Uru can have a good future in the hands of the fans. This is one more step of construction and progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:12 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Hey, nice. Congrat's!

Now you're a "D'ni Historian." That's a rather fine pedigree.

As I see more work getting done with good people in the lead, it shows me Uru can have a good future in the hands of the fans. This is one more step of construction and progress.

Yay History! :D

This is good though, I've been wanting to jump into the GoFA for a while, but nothing was really concrete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:25 am 
Obduction Backer

I shudder to think of the impact this may have on my PM inbox, but we're open for business, at least insofar as I've gotten the user groups and forum structure organized. If you're interested in becoming a member of the GoA, please register for DPWR and send me a PM there (not here, please) to be added to the Guild Member user group. I apologize for the slightly round-about enrollment mechanism, but unlike the GoMa or the GoW, DPWR is sort of a multi-function site that's serving as the home of several projects, and I'd prefer to keep them somewhat functionally distinct. That said, nobody will be denied enrollment; there's a small administrative delay to Guild membership, not a review process. The GoA is for those who have extensive knowledge of D'ni or Cavern history, as well as those who are just starting out and want to help and/or learn.

There's still plenty of work and planning to do, and please don't look at my initial organizational braindump as a my-way-or-the-highway concept... feedback and further constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged, even if you're not yet a member of the Guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:13 pm 

Note on circumstances: I read this post after I posted at DPWR.

Now I am confused. I found out by way of explorer friends the place for storytellers to go was the in the planning GoA. I guessed the Guild of Messengers is filling the "straight story news" function.

I looked up my registration at DPWR. It was still good to go. I posted in the planning GoA storytellers forum section or thread area; however, I did not realize membership to the Guild is subject to approval by someone(s).

What exactly is the criteria for guild membership, and will every sort of storyteller need to be a member? Who is in the initial group, or does it matter that I know who or what determines approval?

Ruby O'Degee
Ahvree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ruby, there is a 46-page questionnaire that you must fill out - answering any of the 1,265 questions incorrectly means that you are banished from the Guild, even though you were never a member. If you can survive that, you are then given twelve tasks - things like climbing Mt. Everest and getting more than 30 miles to the gallon in a 1978 Impala. Once those are accomplished, you must then read Remembrance of Things Past - backwards. You will be tested. Finally, you are given the responsibility for finding certain pixels in various Cyan games. I was lucky - I got Pixel #134,896, which was one of the easier ones.

:shock:

Seriously, send Al a PM, and you're a member. As for storytelling itself, my impression is that the Guild will be more for documenting history (IC) and (or so it looks like) considering IC stories for possible conflict (OOC). Whether the Guild will tell stories itself -well, gather enough storytellers in one place and we'll find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahvree wrote:
I looked up my registration at DPWR. It was still good to go. I posted in the planning GoA storytellers forum section or thread area; however, I did not realize membership to the Guild is subject to approval by someone(s).

What exactly is the criteria for guild membership, and will every sort of storyteller need to be a member? Who is in the initial group, or does it matter that I know who or what determines approval?

I apologize if I didn't make this point clear enough in my posts, but Guild membership isn't subject to approval. Anybody who wants to be a part of the Guild can do so; nobody will be denied membership. The enrollment process is simply to ensure that Guild members are in the correct user group, since that group has somewhat different permissions than the standard member group on the forum, giving them more administrative access to the Archive. Unfortunately, Invision Board doesn't support user-joinable groups the way that phpBB does, so someone has to go through the motions of adding you to the Guild Members group manually (right now that someone is me, but in the future, I hope to have some lackeys to help me out ;)).

Put simply, there are no criteria for Guild membership, you just have to ask to be put in the right user group, and you'll be put there ASAP. If, in the future, your request goes unprocessed by a Guild Captain (whether through malice or inattentiveness), you can PM me directly and I'll get you in regardless. That said, I see no reason to require storytellers to be a member of the GoA, or any other Guild for that matter. You're welcome to use DPWR as a base of operations, and take advantage of the Writers Ring forums or any other service on the site to do your storytelling and story planning. Please keep in mind, though, that storytellers may be subject to a Fan-Created Age License (or in this case, a Fan-Created Work License, FCAL just seems to be the acronym of the day) before doing any storytelling in-Cavern, depending on how Cyan wants this to play out. On that point, I'm pretty much as in the dark as everyone else, and am hoping for some clarification on that point from Cyan, ideally sooner rather than later.

[edit] Zardoz, thank you for the laugh. What a way to start the morning ;)

Last edited by Alahmnat on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm 

Zardoz wrote:
Ruby, there is a 46-page questionnaire that you must fill out - answering any of the 1,265 questions incorrectly means that you are banished from the Guild, even though you were never a member...If you can survive that, you are then given twelve tasks - things like climbing Mt. Everest and getting more than 30 miles to the gallon in a 1978 Impala.

I guessed there was a test someplace. I unpacked my 83 volumes of notes I'd written since spring of 1993 to look for any possible answers to questions posed, but later it dawned on me that passing was going to hinge on using my bad knees, and knowing something about mileage. I can tell you right up front I prefer wind power (necessary to move my 3 former & previously owned Volkswagon buses down any roadmap or life path - gas/oil or no gas/oil). I never owned an impala, but someone I know owned a 1970 Horizon. It gave out @ less than 100,00 miles of push starts. I will ask the Grandmaster in my PM to him, if that will work. It is my opinion, it is always about who you know, regardless of how dubious the relationship :shock:

At any rate, thanks for your help. It goes to show that giggles are still possible in the mist of sheer and udder confusion. I will make my way over the PM box. Gosh, I already asked Alahmnat how to use my avatar photo instead of my profile photo @ DPWR. The guy is going to think I am Kirel fruitcakey and a pest to boot. :oops: :lol:

---EDIT - cross post, I will now read your explanation post Alahmnat. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah ha ha -- gulp....

I saw that there ques-tee-on-aire and answered "Don't know but I stayed in a D'ni Hotel once" to every one. That should get me right in.

FCAL, FCWL, how about FCSL: Fan Created Story License, or FCPL: Fan Created Project License? I vote we pick the one least difficult to say out loud. Fic-wall, Fic-Sel, Fic-puhl...

It would be neat to find an acronym that was pronounced Fic-shun....

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:04 am 

ghaelen wrote:
Ah ha ha -- gulp....

I saw that there ques-tee-on-aire and answered "Don't know but I stayed in a D'ni Hotel once" to every one. That should get me right in.

FCAL, FCWL, how about FCSL: Fan Created Story License, or FCPL: Fan Created Project License? I vote we pick the one least difficult to say out loud. Fic-wall, Fic-Sel, Fic-puhl...

It would be neat to find an acronym that was pronounced Fic-shun....

Don't for get IMLST, WRMI, FRUTCAEK, and UHAVURFACTSRONG.

Post subject: membership
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:10 pm 

shorah Al, if we are already members of DPWR, does that mean we are already members of the Guild of Archivists? :wink: Or...do we need to sign up for the Guild separately? Hah! Bet I stumped ya with this question, eh? :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]