It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Guild of Imaginists
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Guild of Imaginists is a Neo-D'ni Guild loosely affiliated with the Guild of Archivists and the Guild of Fine Artists. The Guild of Imaginists will be focusing on supporting immersive, environmental experiences in the Myst Online Restoration Experiment.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:17 pm 

Good luck to the Guild of Imaginists and friends even if I am the OOC type. :wink:

Your idea was submitted to the Guild of Messengers "Submit a News".

Btw, I love the choice of colors for your site. Very easy and restfull for old eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Although I don't have a cow when people talk OOC, I'm all for people staying IC in Uru as much as possible. Immersion is one of the things I like most in Uru. But honestly, I don't think the "Imaginists" should be advertised as a Guild. The Imaginists seem to be, by nature, OOC (which is ironic, 'cause OOC-ness seems to be what you're out to lessen), but the other established Guilds are very much IC. Also, "Neo-D'ni" and "loosely affiliated" make your status/standpoint sound kind of hazy.

I'm all for encouraging IC-ness & Immersion, and even for a group to encourage such, but "Guild" just doesn't fit. And we want to be very selective about what is approved as an "official Guild". I think "Imaginists" or "Immersionists" would do better as a sort of low-key, grass-roots, OOC affiliation of Uru Explorers who want to stay IC to encourage Immersion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:13 pm 

@ K'laamas

It is ok for you to play Uru the way you see fit but, please, do not expect all of us
to adhere religiously to your credo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm sorry but I don't see anywhere in Klaa's post where it said people should live by such structure. Indeed all I happen to see is him offering his opinion.

His point seems to be, does the group need to build a "guild" why can't it just be a group.

Which is something I agree with in general, theres going to be a lot of groups tacking Guild on their name when it isn't really needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Interestingly enough, this didn't start out as a "guild", at all. It was the Immersive D'ni Explorers Association, and it originally began just before Exodus. Changing the name came from many comments that it didn't seem 'real' enough, if it wasn't a guild.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Since the whole concept of Who's Doing Story, the GoA or the GoFA is still up in the air, (as is things like what the heck is does 'story' mean around here, anyhow'?) where this fits in is still up for grabs, as well.

*shrug* or, it'll fade into the woodwork or be assimilated, like other things. Six of one...

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Seems to me that the Guild names are clearly indicative of purpose regarding story. Artists (i.e. Guild of Fine...) create the story, and Archivists (i.e. Guild of...) are a reference resource to check historical issues and the consistency (i.e. canon and permissibilty according to FCALs) of the story. And if a GoA member would like to write a story, s/he should be a member of the GoFA and maybe recuse him/herself from GoA analysis of the story material. No sweat.

Maybe the name could be "House of Imaginists" in the sense of "House" as a respected group, family, or community members of a specific lineage. It might work well for groups which aren't quite Guilds.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:57 pm 

I would not mind seeing a Cyan's definition for the word "Guild".

Maybe Eleri and friends have something much bigger in mind that
we can "Imagine" at this time. Unfortunately, I was not invited to participate
in their discussions.

as for K'laamas...
Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't see anywhere in Klaa's post where it said people should live by such structure. Indeed all I happen to see is him offering his opinion.

But he did talk about "his immersion"...
Quote:
I'm all for people staying IC in Uru as much as possible. Immersion is one of the things I like most in Uru
I did agree that he is allowed to have an opinion as much as we are allowed, too.
(but we seem to be talking about two different kind of immersions)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:02 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

It seemed a rather strong response, AW, to a neutral post - as if there's a history between you. I'm OOC, mostly, having made some comments about "elitist IC police" in my own renegade past. And I didn't feel preached to here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

It sounds more pedestrian, but why isn't the Guild of Actors (a minor guild) the perfect fit? I suspect Eleri likes the Imaginists part (as do I), but the adoption of an IC Actor perspective gives the guild IC standing but also covers (as far as I can tell) all OOC aspects pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

When this conversation first came up (storylines etc) at DPWR I took it over to the GoFA planning forum for discussion. Two of the sections cover the aspect of creating stories to take part (either in journals or actors etc) came under the following:

Performers - Actors, Spoken Word, Dancers, Singers, Musicians etc.
Writers - Poetry, Prose, Storyline, Journals, Creative Writers, Scripts, Comedy etc (not Age writing).

Not really in the air when it comes to our side of things, the only part is up in the air is the actual implementation on said sections which I am waiting to hear back from on those who have been chiming in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:28 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
1- It seemed a rather strong response, AW, to a neutral post

answer: it did not feel neutral from my end.

Quote:
2- as if there's a history between you.

answer: no such recollection and I am not the kind to cling to a "grudge" for a long time.

You may go on with your discussions. I will have no problems adapting to any of your choices.
(one side or the other). I have a very dynamic mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 pm 

In my humble point of view.... It would be a better choice to recycle the previous guilds rather than create new ones. The Imaginists could/should be a sub-division of the GoFA. The imaginists can remain Highly autonomous in the GoFA, just like the affiliates in the GoMe.
When it's possible to work on a common goal, it's best to put all the ressources together guys. The GoFA and GoI will not become respectables guilds if they only do their little projects on their own. Cooperation is the key ;)

Guild of Messengers Website: www.guildofmessengers.com or http://rel.to/gome

Receive news on Facebook: http://rel.to/gome_fb or Twitter: http://twitter.com/GoMessengers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

In my very personal view, which you can of course disagree with, a Guild should have a ready IC counterpart. Writers make Ages, Fine Artists make fine art, Cartographers make maps, Maintainers check the Ages for safety, etc. - in different ways IC and OOC, but they do the same things.

The Guild of Matte Painters or Background Music Makers have no IC counterpart... unless they're the ones who built Ahnonay, that is. :wink: And I'd expect a Guild of Actors to be made of people who make plays and dramas, rather than a guild for the creation of IC storylines.

That is not to say the Imaginists can't be called a Guild, but I'd like if there was some IC side to what they do. Maybe they're like the animators on a tourist club, always inventing something new for the customers to do during the day. ;)

Just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:41 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
That is not to say the Imaginists can't be called a Guild, but I'd like if there was some IC side to what they do. Maybe they're like the animators on a tourist club, always inventing something new for the customers to do during the day. ;)

Just my two cents.

I might be wrong and Eleri can correct me if necessary but I beleive they would be playing like
if they were old D'ni people which would be pretty IC (and immersive to some visitors), in my view.

I can well "imagine" people of all the other guilds helping with this project

Its not because I do not like IC stuff that I beleive it should never happen.

To each type its own fun, is ok with me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next