It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:15 am 

I downloaded this, and I have to say that I can't thank you enough for letting us know about this greypiffle! I've tried out so many 3D modeling/animation programs and I had such a hard time figuring out how to do anything past placing a cube or sphere, and the tutorials for them all were for people past the very beginning stages, so they didn't help me much. Now, not am I only getting the hang of this program (and it didn't take that long to download, either), but I'm building the starship owned by my Star Wars character, and it's already starting to take a recognizable shape.

Thanks for posting this, grey!

-Dalken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:04 am 
Obduction Backer

:D you warm my heart with such nice things to say!

You are very welcome!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:50 pm 

Yo GP,

Do you have any idea what TrueSpace uses for an engine? Blender has BGE. I am hoping TrueSpace has its own engine for MMO interaction, or maybe it needs to be imported into Director11?

Thanks for the info, the retrun of Myst is sooo very exciting.

Fezz
KI # 10065883

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:51 pm 

Sounds like a good program...few question:

Anyone built something in it that worked on uru?

Is it easier than blender?

Can it make higher quality objects than blender in less time than blender?

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Fezz wrote:
Yo GP,
Do you have any idea what TrueSpace uses for an engine? Blender has BGE. I am hoping TrueSpace has its own engine for MMO interaction, or maybe it needs to be imported into Director11?
Thanks for the info, the retrun of Myst is sooo very exciting.
Fezz
KI # 10065883

Not sure what the engine is.. It may be their own. They will make the SDK for TS7.6 available within the next 30 days, so you can fine out more then.

The stranger wrote:
Sounds like a good program...few question:

Anyone built something in it that worked on uru?

Is it easier than blender?

Can it make higher quality objects than blender in less time than blender?

:)
I think that there are at least 3 people that use TS, then import to blender to make thier ages.
I think it is much easier than blender
I don't know if the objects are higher quality or not. That would depend on the artist. TS and blender will both handle large-poly objects. The "ART" is in making a High-poly object into a low-poly object and still look good.something like this...
I have a temple that has molding on 4 sides. The 4 sides of molding were high-poly, and I made them with less ""points" That is where two lines cross in a wire frame.

The texture is one that I made myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:57 am 

Thanks Man,

The lower poly Capitol looks better than the one on the right anyhow. Looks more weathered I think.
In blender its easy to delete vertices and loops, probably is also in Ts7.6.

I havent used Ts yet, I spent my time downloading as many tutorials as I could get my hands on. Caligari sure has alot of them so I was pleased to see that. I also searched and found more.

Anyone think we need to swap textures? I know I search them alot. Maybe a master list of the best places for textures. I know I take my digital camera with me everywhere now. Always lookin for a new texture/material.

Downloaded Gimp also. I think its best to use or learn to use, apps that are free to the community.

Well thanks again for the TS info, it came at just the time I needed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:16 am 
Obduction Backer

and take a look at these columns... I really got rid of a lot of polys with THEM!! multiply by 8 and you can see that you can reduce the size of a world without sacrificing quality.

I use GIMP myself, so can recommend it.
For texture database... I think they are talking about that in the General forums at the Guild of Writers

And definitely try to follow along with the tutorials for TS. especially the Organics Modeling one as that deals with the new interface.
TS is currently split into the Interface they are heading for for version 8 and the old 6.6 version (Workspace and Model)

Hope that helps!!

EDIT: OOPS - some good links for you, and really anyone who is modeling

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/s ... .php?t=889

http://www.spacekdet.com/tutorials/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:18 am 

Thanks greypiffle,

Anything is greatly appreciated.

I am struggling trying to get started with Ts however.
I have downloaded every Tut I could find and viewed it.
They really dont go in an order that gives me confidence to get up running.

I think Ts has more power than Blender. However in Blender I was able to get things going faster.

I wish folks that used Ts would make videos on just the simple things. Once you get those you can go so fast it seems.

Case in point: I played with Toolbars and deleted them, thinking I could just get them from somewhere and reactivate them. I ended up uninstalling Ts and Installing it again so I could have toolbars.

Same thing happened with Workspace windows open etc. So again I uninstalled and redid. Yes Ts has videos talking about scrollbars but they really dont cover the basics of working with them. They just mention this or that can be done but never do it.

I also have "ask before save" set in settings, and my bridge turned off to save my resources. Well I shut down and open again and the work I had on Scene was still there but it never asked me, it just saved it. So I uninstalled it again.

I have yet to figure out how to delete simple objects I put in scenes. I saw a video somewhere which I think spoke of that but cant find it so far.

Ts is very very difficult. Blender I could do simple things after watching one tutorial. The more in depth thngs well it has a very unfriendly interface. However I dont find Ts that friendly either. It seems easier but not at the stage I am in.

Ts has videos on Getting Started but really are so advanced I have no idea why they are in a getting started title. I just want to create a box and add material and texture to it. Save that to a scene library and that its. One tutorial I could do that in Blender. In Ts I cant even use the widget very well.

I will stay with Ts and get over this extremely steep Noob curve it has. I guess its just me and others dont find it so hard to work with. Just wish tutorials were made that help get you going better. Or that they were arranged in a better order. Just frustrating right now and I its like a nightmare. I cringe thinking I have to go back and try to learn Ts.Yuck.

I am kinda glad Myst is not online now. Gives me some time to fight with Ts.

Thanks man for all the info you have provided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

the default.ctx file can be deleted to restart TS to default if CTRL double click does not work.
This thread will help you reset the toolbars:
http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/s ... php?t=6137
The fifth post down shows a nice picture.
to delete an object - select it and hit the delete key on your keyboard.

And the tutorials....

I view them, then I play back and pause to follow along. Makes it much easier.
If you would like to create a short-cut key for a function, just <ctl><right-click> to bring up the dialog for it.

Now..here is a very easy tutorial for you.

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/s ... #post75494

also check out the other tutorials in the Tutorium. a very good resource.

EDIT: I just re- came across the trueCurriculum which should also help you out in deciding the order of the courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:34 pm 

Hi greypiffle,

Man I am so glad TrueSpace is no longer a problem. I felt like the only one in the world who didnt understand it. I am also glad it wasnt my doings.

I posted a thread retracting my opinion of TrueSpace. I have been working in it and am enjoying the time very much. It really is a pleasure to work with.

I think you gave the Cavern a good one here. I look forward to speaking with you after a long go with TrueSpace.

Thanks greypiffle
Fezz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

glad you got it working!!! :D

If you still have problems posting in the forums there, e-mail Tom and he will help you out as quick as he can
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:44 pm 

Hi Again greypiffle,

The video from kena was a big help. I dont have Vray (probably a plugin or another file I dont have) so I couldnt really do all it referenced, but just knowing how to save or not save the current scene helped put things at ease for me.

Interesting how kena has a icon with a Myst St Patties Hat on ;)

I think I read someplace that TrueSpace was a freebie several years ago. I wonder if 7.6 is a draw for clientel and then will once again be a purchased app. I think the cost of Ts is fairly small considering the cost of other apps out there and what I see it can do in monthly animations.

Ts blows the doors off Blender in the character animation arena. I mean the rigging and all that and its predefined motions. That alone makes Ts a keeper for anyone.

Well until we get MORE Myst,
I thank you for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yep... Big secret. My first name is Ken. and my last name starts with an "A". ;) Let me know if you need anything else and I will be happy to help. Back when they went to TS 6 - TS 3 was free - when they went to 7.5 - version 5 was free.
Now it's the latest version that is free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:37 am 
Obduction Backer

well.. the SDK is available for Truespace. Anyone besides me want to try diving into this one? If I can even get started, it will probably be a year or more before I'm good enough to code.

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/f ... y.php?f=84

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:58 am 

greypiffle wrote:
well.. the SDK is available for Truespace. Anyone besides me want to try diving into this one? If I can even get started, it will probably be a year or more before I'm good enough to code.

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/f ... y.php?f=84

Already digging... ;) (That 3DS plug-in source would be really handy though.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next