It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:59 am 

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:06 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:49 pm 

Probaly a good idea Lynnutte.

Remember the Community Meeting happening today, which is unrelated the guild meeting this thread is about.

See:

It is at noon today and transcripts will be available at some point. I think it will show a wide range of thinking and people's various planned directions. Many of the questions there and the answers are likely to relate to the future Inter-Guild meeting.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:22 pm 

Thanks Marten. I goofed and forgot to be clear.

For those that are curious what the guilds are thinking, check this thread by the GoW:

The thread is along my idea of guilds deciding where they want to go and would like to do. It is too early to be definite and/or make permanent decisions. More wish list thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:01 pm 

it is great to keep the Guilds at the fore front of things, and I am glad to see that.

The meeting in Second Life was not posted about on MOUL community forum sadly so many did noit know abouit it who might have been interessted in the irc chat i am glad ppl enjoy Second LIfe but it is not MOUL ......and i am glad we will have the cavern back soon. That is the best place to talk things over and i tend to think we can wait for some discussions until the Cavern reopens.

cheers and hope it went well.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 pm 

Chat log and pics up here: Scroll down.

Oh Cris it was posted... you likely did not see it because a mod moved it as it was not really Uru community related. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 am 

Nalates - When I stated that we should have a couple "pure cannon" shards, I simply meant that there should be a base of the original UL storyline on a set server(s), and that base should always be made available to the newly gathered. That way, we keep the original storyline in the forefront for the newbies as we press forward with the new Ages, stories, and areas. I don't want to see anyone confused or left unsatisfied by the addition of off-based content. However, I think that if we can find a way to marry these new Ages with cannon, the outcome would prove more satisfying to all, and would give a true feel of continuation, rather than improvisation.

As an active storyline creator within the GoW, I can surely say that we have dreamed of and want these new additions; MORE would have most likely been a mixture of both "pure cannon"(and by that I mean the RAWA and Cyan created storyline) and the new Ages being conceived by the GoW. Since the idea here is an open source UL, I say bring it on. However, I do think that over time, many will see that the seam created by the division of cannon storyline and the new additions will be all too clear. For many explorers, the very heart of the UL journey is the cannon storyline, however choppy it may be, and I am sure that the newly gathered will notice this difference quickly enough.

The only concern that I have at this point is how all this might tie together story wise. I feel that, in order for it to work and make sense, we must not veer too terribly far from what we have come to know about the history, Art, and Ages of the D'ni. Change isn't always good, so we shall see. I do have high hopes for the new Ages; I just don't want to see an Age that in any way converts or distorts "cannon" UL or the ideas and concepts behind original UL gameplay. What I would like to see is a setup where cannon rules, but we have many choices. If an explorer wants to take the original UL journey, then the new Ages should be optional, however I still feel as if they should somehow co-mix with what we have already been exposed to if they are to be included in the game. Otherwise, we wouldn't be continuing UL, but creating a completely and vastly different experience, not unlike SL. As badly as I would love to link from the Nexus to my summer abode in Middle Earth, it just wouldn't fit. Likewise, linking to Ages where the only thing to do is turn this or push that would be ineffective, no matter how great they look. We need new and interactive stories, that at least blend somehow with what we have seen, if these new Ages are to hold any ground next to the "pure cannon" of UL. A good example of one of these new Ages that incorporates a good and viable storyline that could very well be made to fit with cannon is Sonavio. :idea:

Cyan has clearly stated that they will not be able to contribute any new content right away, so we can guess that it will be up to us to fill in the new areas as we see fit. Let's keep on track as we delve into these new Ages; the possibilities are endless, but the impossibilities are staggering. I am positive that if we allow the "cannon" UL story to live within these new Ages, the idea of an open source UL can work for us all.

Shorah,

Stranger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:48 pm 

5THESTRANGER5, I think we have some different ideas but are going for the same thing.

I think we both think of pure canon as you describe it, Cyan content and storyline. The MO:RE mixture is what I label extended canon. I expect a GoW shard, if they do decide to run their own shard, to be extended canon to allow writers such as you to add story and age creators to add new ages.

I’m not at all sure new players would be able to tell canon from extended canon. If it is done well then it won’t matter. In the case where ‘extended’ material distorts canon, it might only be confusing and not distinct, which I think is a serious problem. I agree that distorting canon is a negative and will detract from the story. I was confused enough when I came online in 03 and people were talking about finding the Cavern in New Mexico. I had no way to know what an ARG was or what was IC or OOC story much less what was canon or not. So, several ideas have been presented for how new material may be presented so players have chance of recognizing which is which.

I think a united guild shard would be a place where there can be a controlled shard with a more democratically controlled storyline. The union can impose restrictions on content (meaning ages and story) allowed on THEIR SERVER.

The problem with providing a ‘couple’ of pure canon shards is that each will have a real money cost. As yet we do not know what is required to run a shard. Will one shard with a complete universe run on a home computer and allow 4 to 8 players maybe 16? Or does it require a separate logon server and database, a vault (game state) server, and a separate asset server (has the files describing ages, cones, etc)? Can one fan run one and another fan another? Can one fan host one age and another fan another age? We don’t know, yet. I have not seen anyone project the bandwidth costs or even size the demand. That could be a significant cost. What we want and what we can have may be an economic and performance issue. So, until we have more answers in January, we don’t know what we can have or afford.

Such questions are being compiled in a thread here:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:43 am 

Nal- Yes, it seems that we are heading in the same direction with pure and extended cannon, and I assume that many have asked the same questions. We'll be home soon; discussing the matter further would only serve to confuse, so it would probably be best to wait until we have a more concrete idea of what we will be doing(eg. server cost, shards, Cyan's role in it all, etc.). Again, thank you for your insight. See you in the Cavern soon.

Shorah,

Stranger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:00 pm 

Much of what we can decide now is being discussed here, on GoW and GoMa. While we are unclear what we can DO, many are very clear on what they WANT. Knowing the 'wants' at least gives direction.

I am convinced GoMa will run a testing server. They are talking about it here:

I am pretty sure GoW or an Inter-Guild coalition will run the main 'extended' content shard/server. As the discussions on a neutral forum for planning the 'extended' content shard/serve are drawing little discussion, I see the guild neutral coalition idea fading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:24 am 

Our community has always seemed to go in a million directions at once, but always with the same common goal. That is to be able to play the game. Still we seem to manage to stay together as a community. I see this as no different. Still, I do caution not to make any hard conclusions until we hear from Cyan and see what they have planned and what they suggest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:33 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3