It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 pm 

My Fellow Mysties, Brethren and Sistren Explorers,

I actually forgot that I had this user name. My only point of pride is that I've completed Riven and Exile and I've followed the URU narrative since I joined the Mudpie beta. Good times.

Anyway, my name is Matt Waller, and that's enough about me.

I have thought about incorporating a certain guild. Basically it would be something like the knights/samurai/warriors-with-a-code-of-honor (aren't a few of you glad I didn't say Jedi?) guild. Let's call them clans.

Originally the clans were just a couple of strong guys with weapons who wanted to take care of their families/village. As D'ni grew however, and as power became more concentrated, the clans became united, especially under the leadership of the Great King. Those were the days, eh?

But then power, rusting the soul as it does, made those in charge waive aside their military might and the warriors' code of honor. The only ones who did care were those who paid off corrupt officers until most of the fighters became little more than stooges of whomever had the most money.

Hence the classic corruption tale of so many feudal systems. Yet there is hope that a feudal class needn't be a futile endeavor.

So, is it possible to raise an army from such a valley of dry bones? Can we yet raise the troops of the Great King, though they be buried in the lake-glass sepulcher of D'ni? (Shout out to Miguel de Unamuno)

We can!

I call them Freelees. Think freelancer/mercenary/freebie, or something; I don't know how to write that down in D'ni, but it's a guy or gal with all the frills. A Freelee.

But we should proceed cautiously. We must establish a code of honor.

So here's the fun part. I've thought of a bunch of cool rules to keep it so that there is, essentially, no player-on-player violence.

For instance:

- The sword/weapon must always be sheaved in public ages.
- The sword must be partly visible when worn.
- The sword can only be drawn in a private age to which the Freelee has been invited, or which the Freelee privately administers. (The primary four ages, for instance).
-And Freelees can only fight/fence/engage in swordplay in their neighborhood, on special occasions in certain ages decided upon by the Freelee clans. (Basically, on a holiday, or in the neighborhood).

- As for programming, the swordplay itself needn't be anything complicated. Maybe just four buttons (like the four arrows on a keyboard). One offense, one defense, one toward the player, and one away from the player. Leave it to an honor system for the players to call "touche!" But throw in the sidestep buttons and pretty soon you've got yourself some pretty sweet swordplay. (I vote for all sword-play to be two-handed!)

So, with all of those cool features, we should include some downsides:

-A Freelee wearing their weapon cannot enter non-canonical content. All swords at the door before entering, please.
-One must have completed the Complete Chronicles to be a Freelee (so I don't even qualify right now).

That's all I've got for now. I could speak more about potential history, and loads more on how Freelees could figure into future canonical material, but I won't. Let's enjoy what we've got!

Yours Truly,

Matt Waller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:15 pm 

Nice idea, but...

No. I don't think anyone likes the idea of having the ability to use a sword in uru. It may be realistic, but it's not uru. And it's not very realistic too, on a second thought. Why should we use a sword? to kill bahro invaders?

As for the storyline, it's nice. I don't know about guilds, because it's kinda' big... but I'm sure "troops" won't harm the canon.

However, it gives me an interesting idea. Maybe we could have some more maintainers ages, where there will be "test facilities", with all sorts of dangers and whatnot. And the player needs too blow put on a miantainer suit and find his way out, using high-suit jumps, or some sort of suit cannon (special suits only?), and these kind of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

The one thing that seperates Myst from other games is the lack of violence and weapons and I really don't think introducing swords will go down well. What you are describing sounds too much like many of the other games going around and there is a danger of turning Uru into some lesser form of Dungeons and Dragons.

Besides - why would explorers need to use swords in any case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:33 am 
Obduction Backer

You have obviously spent some good thought on this idea, but there are some problems.

As mentioned before, why would explorer's use swords? Why would a bunch of people in a giant archaeological dig be dueling? (even the D'ni had guns, if Riven and/or the Books are to be believed)

I also don't think your warrior clans would fit into the backstory canon. D'ni was founded with its civilization pretty much premade (as a splinter group from the Ronay). Also, the D'ni have been a fairly peaceful and united society - more likely to form armies than make a warrior class (more like ancient China than feudal Japan). Fighting would mainly be with mainly less civilized and technologically advanced cultures - again something more likely to prompt an army than a dedicated caste. The Maintainers and City Guard, I believe, dealt with any troubles (does somebody recall what they did for major things like the Pento War?) - mostly small attacks. Larger attacks were generally quickly dealt with (due to the powerful D'ni technology and the power of linking books) so there would be little time to build a warrior class.

There is a way to implement some of this idea, though. The Guild of Maintainers, in their inspection of Ages, might sometimes come across natives - even hostile natives. Therefore, I'm sure they'd have some training in weaponry. Perhaps in some Age, we could come across a training facility, and there would be a place to fence there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 am 

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in ANY warrior aspect... being a totally peaceful place is what makes Uru stand out for me, among many other things of course. I'd say if you change that aspect, Uru is not Uru anymore.

That said, nothing and nobody (unless it is Cyan in their yet-to-be-released-licence) is going to prevent you from setting up the Guild and programming the swords into the game... I wish you luck with both and I think you'll need it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:52 am 
Obduction Backer

If a person or a group of persons can gather enough support and resources, with shards and instancing, I can see just about anything happening.

U R U, find a place, make a home. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:19 am 

I don't see what would prevent Cyan from developing the idea, but I don't like the idea myself. The entire D'ni story is, to me, a huge adventure through history and discovery, and has little violence in contrast. It's a cool idea, but I don't think it goes what Uru. Still, do what you like. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:13 am 

I often get confused in the story line of IC explorers of the current day and the back story D'ni.

While I can see someone carrying a sword for protection (I have one on my back most of the time in SL) I don't see that many people walking around in todays streets with one. And it is the people of today that are exploring the cavern and ages.

If there was to be a Bahro war, we would bring modern weapons into the cavern. Oh yeah... rpg that stalactite...

If we were to do a poll I suspect the majority of the fan base would prefer no weapons. So, while my favorite sim in SL is a combat RP sim, I don't really want weapons (for other than decoration) in MOOS. However, one is free to build any age ones wants. As previously said... good luck with that.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:12 am 

It's just like a noobie to bring a sword to a gun fight. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Hmmm sword fights in Uru. Sounds fun. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Touche' :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Ghame wrote:
The one thing that seperates Myst from other games is the lack of violence and weapons and I really don't think introducing swords will go down well. What you are describing sounds too much like many of the other games going around and there is a danger of turning Uru into some lesser form of Dungeons and Dragons.

Exactly. . . . Leave Uru as a peaceful place, please! . . . . if you want swords or other weapons there are plenty of other online games to find those in. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Before one could use a sword, one would need hands that can grab things first. :wink:

Hmmm now that part would be really nice. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:51 am 

chrissifniotis wrote:
I don't see what would prevent Cyan from developing the idea, but I don't like the idea myself. The entire D'ni story is, to me, a huge adventure through history and discovery, and has little violence in contrast. It's a cool idea, but I don't think it goes what Uru. Still, do what you like. :)

I see something to prevent Cyan from developing this. They don't have any more money to spend on Uru. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Mystdee wrote:
Ghame wrote:

Exactly. . . . Leave Uru as a peaceful place, please! . . . . if you want swords or other weapons there are plenty of other online games to find those in. :roll:

Two words. "Open Source".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next