It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What are they??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:17 am 

I have no idea what these "guilds" are! I have just got myst on my itouch and cannot get the other versions so ive jus watched youtube walkthroughs. what are the guilds?

Post subject: Re: What are they??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:44 am 

meme11 wrote:
I have no idea what these "guilds" are! I have just got myst on my itouch and cannot get the other versions so ive jus watched youtube walkthroughs. what are the guilds?

Knowledge of the guilds is not important to play any of the Myst games.

When the D'ni civilization was in full swing, it had a series of major and minor guilds who ran various aspects of daily life. The Guild of Writers, responsible for the writing of new Ages, was probably the most prominent. There were others, such as the Guild of Ink-Makers, the Guild of Caterers, the Guild of Healers, and so on.

A full list of the original D'ni guilds can be found here: http://www.drcsite.org/dnifaq.php

In Myst Online: Uru Live, the DRC made an attempt to help revitalize the cavern by starting up the guilds once again, with the focus on five guilds, with the possibility of others in the future. Those guilds are:

The Guild of Writers (OOCly: people who create fan-made Ages)
The Guild of Maintainers (OOCly: people who rigorously test new content before release)
The Guild of Cartographers (OOCly: people who map out Ages)
The Guild of Messengers (OOCly: people who enable communication between the other guilds, and all fans, about what's going on in the cavern)
The Guild of Greeters (the first officially-recognized fan-made guild, designed to welcome and assist new players to the cavern)

Unfortunately, the cavern shut down before those could really get started, but many of them are still operating even without a cavern to play in.

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:06 am 

OK, but didnt Gen have guilds in Riven? were they real?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, Gehn re-established a few Guilds (I believe he also only set up 5 if I recall correctly, but mainly because he had a rather unhealthy obsession with that number) on Riven during his imprisonment there using the native villagers as members. I'd call them just as real as any other set of Guilds before or since in the timeline of D'ni history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:41 am 

he had an obsession with the number five?? why??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:21 am 

You see the D'ni sign for five everywhere in Riven. I think that was because he considered it to be his best age so far.

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:20 am 

meme11 wrote:

Hitana wrote:
You see the D'ni sign for five everywhere in Riven. I think that was because he considered it to be his best age so far.

It wasn't that he was obsessed with that number or that it had some special meaning -- Gehn did not name his ages, but instead gave them numbers in the order they were written; Riven was his fifth age, thus the book has the number five on it, and you see that number throughout the age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:07 am 

meme, you seems to have a load of questions. This is great, of course. You are really interested in the whole thing, so why not play the other games, and read the books? there are 5 games and 3 books full of story. They will sure answer a lot for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:36 am 

I honestly would, but I don't know where to find them. Do you know??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 am 

Amazon? other can help you, for sure.

There is Myst (play realMyst though, that's the realtime Myst), Riven, Myst III Exile, Myst IV Revelation, and Myst V End of Ages.

There are 3 book: Myst the Book of Ti'ana, Myst the Book of Atrus, and Myst the Book of D'ni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:27 pm 

If you don't want to spend the money, you could check with a local library. I was able to check out all 3 novels and most of the games for free. :D

In case you're interested, the chronological order of books/games is:

1. Myst: The Book of Ti'ana (novel)
  2. Myst: The Book of Atrus (novel)
  3. Myst
  4. Riven
  5. Myst: The Book of D'ni (novel)
  6. Myst III: Exile
  7. Myst IV: Revelation
  8. Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (and the expansions, To D'ni and The Path of the Shell)
  9. Myst V: End of Ages.

With all these questions (here and in the History sub-forum), I think you were born to play Myst; you fit right in! :D

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Herohtar wrote:
meme11 wrote:

Hitana wrote:

It wasn't that he was obsessed with that number or that it had some special meaning -- Gehn did not name his ages, but instead gave them numbers in the order they were written; Riven was his fifth age, thus the book has the number five on it, and you see that number throughout the age.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he had an obsession with the number 5. When he writes stuff like this in his lab journal:

Quote:
I have been cataloging the "natural" elements of this Age for nearly thirty years now, yet still I continue to find evidence of the D'ni's preoccupation with Five. As a boy, it was very clear to me that the number five had a special significance to the D'ni society -- from the ancient heraldic emblems of the ruling elite to the humble homes of the commoners, it was ubiquitous. Its presence here is obviously a direct reflection of the minds that designed the texts that I used to compose this Age -- further proof that through their Art the D'ni Masters were indeed creating the marvelous worlds they wrote, and not, as many have mistakenly thought, merely building links to preexisting worlds.

While most of my constructions have been based on D'ni designs, I see now that the ones that I have imbued with the power of Five are clearly the most beautiful, the most perfect. and, I believe, the most structurally sound.

I am still attempting to determine how the D'ni color symbology reflects this superior design principle. Although superficially it is based on a six color system, I am convinced that there has to be a deeper connection to Five. I will continue to investigate.

it's a pretty good sign something's not right in his head ;). While 5 is a pretty popular number in D'ni, it's not exactly surprising when you consider that their number system was based on one of its multiples; Gehn just went completely overboard trying to assign a deeper meaning to its use in D'ni... it's like trying to assign some deeper cosmic significance to the number 10, just because it's the root of our numbering system (or 2, because it's the basis of our computing technology).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:30 am 

and it is good to dig and learn. The universe behind these games is an amazing one and full of depth and nuance and mystery and is a fantastic story to learn about. Take your time, we will all help and you will have an amazing journey. :)

the guild of Greeters is a good place to get help as well. it is a guild of players who know a lot about the games and they have a website and help ppl learn without spoiling the journey.

they can be found here: http://www.greetersguild.com/

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:20 pm 

We have some great sources of information on the guilds and Myst/D’ni history. The Guild of Archivists has a site that has become pretty much known as the canon of Myst games.

Here on MOUL we have a section on the guilds with links to their resources. Check it out.

You are likely to run into confusion about IC and OOC guilds, who created them and which are official guilds. In a blog post titled “Myst-Uru Guilds IC and OOC Part-I” I wrote my view of the guilds and player confusion regarding them. Remember, that series is opinion, but it should alert you to the fact that we have IC and OOC guilds and where each came from and how the idea of 'official' might apply.

Be sure to check out Rel.to as a source of more links to Myst-Uru fan sites for more information. Also, there is a Myst-Uru search tool on the GoC’s site. Many of the forums’ search features are a bit weak and most do not support advanced queries. The tool was built to aid my searching and part of it built into the GoMa site. It is good for those 3-letter searches, like GoW, GoC, UAM or ULM.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject: About the books
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 pm 

Just to add my small comment. I wholeheartedly recommend getting and reading the three Myst books. I was lucky enough to be able to buy them new a few years back and I have them here beside my computer now. They are a great help in fully understanding D'ni and what happened to it.
Enjoy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next