It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:25 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:50 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:01 pm
Posts: 1890
Yes. Join a Neighborhood with the people you want to chat with, that is.

_________________
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:33 pm
Posts: 68
Great explanation Nalates. And that is so true about doing something yourself if you want something done. lol

The guilds are nurturing places where people can belong with a group of people, do great things, learn a lot along the way but as Szark said, they are not for everyone. If you want to get involved in the community, be active rather than passively walk around the ages and chat in Ae'gura, there is a guild out there for you. You just need to express your wish to do more than the Yeesha journey and your Guild will find you. ;)

_________________
"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Guild of Messengers Website: www.guildofmessengers.com or http://rel.to/gome

Receive news on Facebook: http://rel.to/gome_fb or Twitter: http://twitter.com/GoMessengers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:22 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:52 am
Posts: 161
Location: UK
Sophia wrote:
And, to complicate matters even more, as has already been hinted on, none of these guilds have any official status. Basically, in most cases, a group of fans got together (or even one fan grabbed a website domain and plunked a forum on it, invited his/her buddies and created an ad hoc community/guild, crudely spoken). Anybody can call themselves the So-and-So Guild.

As an example, right now there is a group calling themselves the Guild of Writers which has the domain guildofwriters.com. Suppose somebody else comes along and does not like what they are doing (say, theoretically, in the future this group of people forks off the "official" Cyan ideas to start a nudist camp URU, I emphasize: THEORETICALLY), then there is nothing to stop another group of like-minded people to grab the domain wearethetruewritersguild.org and call themselves The Guild of Writers as well.

Nothing is written in stone yet, and I for one am very curious to see how things will play out in the future. As long as none of these groups have official status, anything goes... until Cyan says otherwise.

Probably not helpful but that sums up the current (muddy) situation pretty well, I think :)


Well put. It even goes a little deeper than that - as apparently they believe they actually 'own' a part of the Cavern, specifically the imager in the GoW pub - which someone has claimed ownership of, And because it is 'owned', you need special permission to put anything on there and there are individuals who regurlarly go there to ensure only 'their' material is displayed and anything else is wiped off.

These are the reasons why I have remained guild-neutral.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:11 pm
Posts: 659
Location: UK
Speaking for ourselves I have never heard anyone in the GoMe say that we own part of the City. But I do think the Pub images should be respected and left for Guild info to help others. Even going to the extent of locking them.
And again speaking for the GoMe I have been here for over two years and in nearly every conversation we have about services, the community is dead centre in those discussions. I suppose it goes with the territory as that is our main focus, helping others.

So in one way Ghame I think you are incorrect lumping all the guilds together but I do understand what you are saying.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:35 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:52 am
Posts: 161
Location: UK
Szark wrote:
Speaking for ourselves I have never heard anyone in the GoMe say that we own part of the City. But I do think the Pub images should be respected and left for Guild info to help others. Even going to the extent of locking them.
And again speaking for the GoMe I have been here for over two years and in nearly every conversation we have about services, the community is dead centre in those discussions. I suppose it goes with the territory as that is our main focus, helping others.

So in one way Ghame I think you are incorrect lumping all the guilds together but I do understand what you are saying.


To be fair, I have not seen this 'guarding' of the imager in other guild pubs and in some respects, these imagers were a bad idea because they encourage this sort of thing. Yes, maybe they should be locked in someway or even switched off.

To be honest, we need to encourage people to come in here and play as much as possible and what would upset me is someone who wanders into a pub, puts up a nice picture or comment of sorts and be told (by someone who as absolutley no right whatsoever) they must not do it and it is "guild property". This is not a new arguement, but something which started as soon as the guild pubs first appeared in MOUL and people started calling themselves guildmaster or whatever and took it upon themselves to sieze control over everything.

Whatever people think of the guilds, these pubs are open to the explorer. They are public areas. The imagers are a useable feature of these pubs and anyone who wants to put up a picture/comment are - in my view - free to do so and no one has any rights or ownership over anything - notwithstanding any putting up anything offensive etc. Except of course Cyan/ResEng's and the like.

It is good that people want to help others, I would even say it is a priority and possibly the foundation for securing Uru's long term future in whatever form it takes and the imager can be a good information tool to communicate guild business. But is doesn't belong to a guild or any one person. If someone wants to fill it up with KI shots of thier mates, they have every right to do so. Perhaps there should be something in the pubs which directs prospective Writers, Maintainers etc to thier respective websites and leave the imagers to whatever people want to do with them.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am
Posts: 69
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
On that note, how DO you upload to an imager? I have one in my Relto but have yet to figure out how to use it :P

Edit: oh, I just figured it out :P hehe ... err... now how do I delete them from the imager?! lol

_________________
Alex 'Hypnose' [ID:00092816]
Hypnose is german for hypnosis, I use it as my... alternative pen name? Pseudonym?! ... lol.

Spam Poison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:08 pm
Posts: 30
Location: Omaha, NE
There isn't a straightforward way to delete stuff from the imagers. You simple need to keep uploading other stuff. Eventually (can't remember how many it takes) new uploads will overwright what is currently uploaded, starting with the oldest upload being overwritten first.

FYI...you can upload both pictures and notes (if you didn't already know that)

_________________
L'orr -- 00991611
Greeter for the Guild of Greeters


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am
Posts: 69
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
L'orr wrote:
There isn't a straightforward way to delete stuff from the imagers. You simple need to keep uploading other stuff. Eventually (can't remember how many it takes) new uploads will overwright what is currently uploaded, starting with the oldest upload being overwritten first.

FYI...you can upload both pictures and notes (if you didn't already know that)


neat!
thanks :P

_________________
Alex 'Hypnose' [ID:00092816]
Hypnose is german for hypnosis, I use it as my... alternative pen name? Pseudonym?! ... lol.

Spam Poison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:26 pm
Posts: 1023
Location: Maryland, USA
Ummm... I have not tried it but there was a way to clear all the images in an imager:

[spoiler]Open a journal entry and use any subject you care to. In the body of the message type only:

cleardaImager

Exactly that way (only the "I" in Imager is caitalized) and do not enter a carriage return, only the 13 characters above. Then upload this this message into the imager. It may take a while for it to take effect.[/spoiler]

Unless things have changed, you can enter 5 images in a Bevin imager and 10 in a Guild Pub imager.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am
Posts: 69
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
johnsojc wrote:
Ummm... I have not tried it but there was a way to clear all the images in an imager:

[spoiler]Open a journal entry and use any subject you care to. In the body of the message type only:

cleardaImager

Exactly that way (only the "I" in Imager is caitalized) and do not enter a carriage return, only the 13 characters above. Then upload this this message into the imager. It may take a while for it to take effect.[/spoiler]

Unless things have changed, you can enter 5 images in a Bevin imager and 10 in a Guild Pub imager.


apparently it works, thanks :P

_________________
Alex 'Hypnose' [ID:00092816]
Hypnose is german for hypnosis, I use it as my... alternative pen name? Pseudonym?! ... lol.

Spam Poison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am
Posts: 69
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
WAHAHAHA! *laughs invincibly, giving a thumbs up and a wide grin*

I put a daily todo list(for real life) on my relto and bevin imager :P since I always play Uru every day, at least to check a few things or mess around a little :) hehehe

_________________
Alex 'Hypnose' [ID:00092816]
Hypnose is german for hypnosis, I use it as my... alternative pen name? Pseudonym?! ... lol.

Spam Poison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:08 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:01 pm
Posts: 1890
I've added an entry to my FAQ about the Guilds.

http://eblong.com/zarf/uru/newfaq.html#guilds

_________________
Andrew Plotkin -- Seltani founding member


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am
Posts: 69
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
belford wrote:
I've added an entry to my FAQ about the Guilds.

http://eblong.com/zarf/uru/newfaq.html#guilds


Awesomeness belford, awesomeness.

I wonder if we'll be seeing these 'dedicated players and their guilds' forming fundraisers for Uru? :)

_________________
Alex 'Hypnose' [ID:00092816]
Hypnose is german for hypnosis, I use it as my... alternative pen name? Pseudonym?! ... lol.

Spam Poison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Texas!
Yes... a neighborhood is what you are looking for.

You were assigned to a "generic" DRC neighborhood when you started the game. The book for it was the only one on your bookshelf when you first appear in your Relto. More than likely, a good number of these neighbors (those that were assigned to the same initial DRC neighborhood) have moved to other neighborhoods or created their own.

Some of the "big hitters" as far as neighborhoods go (those with many members and usually a very active social schedule) are, off the top of my head, Amber Horizons and Uru Obsession. If you would like to join another neighborhood, find a member from the one you prefer and ask if you can join. That person will get you set up.

A lot of neighborhoods are listed in the Public Links page of the Nexus. That will give you an idea of what different neighborhoods are out there.

Hope this helps!

Shana

_________________
I'll think of something witty to put here later.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am
Posts: 69
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Shana wrote:
Yes... a neighborhood is what you are looking for.

You were assigned to a "generic" DRC neighborhood when you started the game. The book for it was the only one on your bookshelf when you first appear in your Relto. More than likely, a good number of these neighbors (those that were assigned to the same initial DRC neighborhood) have moved to other neighborhoods or created their own.

Some of the "big hitters" as far as neighborhoods go (those with many members and usually a very active social schedule) are, off the top of my head, Amber Horizons and Uru Obsession. If you would like to join another neighborhood, find a member from the one you prefer and ask if you can join. That person will get you set up.

A lot of neighborhoods are listed in the Public Links page of the Nexus. That will give you an idea of what different neighborhoods are out there.

Hope this helps!

Shana


It does help, thanks :)
although I don't think I'll be having too much trouble... people seem to already be into my random comic routines :P thus making my name known... you know, someone so strange but hilarious that you can't seem to get his name out of your head... heh.

By the way, me and some of the players have thus far agreed (after a comedy routine about toads in your relto) that saying someone has "reloto'd" should now be referred to as "toed" ... I had originally suggested 'toad' but no one seemed to like it, lol.

_________________
Alex 'Hypnose' [ID:00092816]
Hypnose is german for hypnosis, I use it as my... alternative pen name? Pseudonym?! ... lol.

Spam Poison


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: