It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:44 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Doobes2 wrote:
...the reason people have been reluctant to start something else is because the GoG is supposed to be the Cyan-sponsored group for such things. However, if nothing is going to happen from that end, others will be needed to pick up the slack

I can't tell from your words whether you are suggesting a new organization be formed to replace the GoG. But there is an existing infrastructure to do that, just like any kind of governance: get involved at the Guild of Greeters and change things that need change. Maybe the only change needed is getting more active members, as you might wish. Otherwise, you may just be moving a problem from one place to another in the long run.

Strictly speaking, there is a very, very limited way applications can be done for the guild at the moment--it is essentially "not hiring" openly. However, I encourage you (and everyone) to contact the guild masters. I know it sounds like a dumb idea, but any change from outside the guild will best be done through them.

And I want to reiterate that the GoG does not have a monopoly on welcoming new players, nor has ever claimed to. If others want to go and help in their own way, that is great. We exist to be a resource for anyone, not a mandatory thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
get involved at the Guild of Greeters and change things that need change[d].

I don't think you quite understand what's going on here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Do you wish to make comebacks, or add to the discussion? Illuminate us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Doobes2 wrote:
...the reason people have been reluctant to start something else is because the GoG is supposed to be the Cyan-sponsored group for such things. However, if nothing is going to happen from that end, others will be needed to pick up the slack

I can't tell from your words whether you are suggesting a new organization be formed to replace the GoG.

Absolutely not. The Guild of Greeters is not replaceable, in my opinion. However, while they're on this "hiatus" or what have you, there's still a need to orientate new players. Forming groups to supplement the GoG while they reform or rebuild is more what I'm leaning towards. It would take some of the burden off of them, which can be a good thing.

Quote:
But there is an existing infrastructure to do that, just like any kind of governance: get involved at the Guild of Greeters and change things that need change. Maybe the only change needed is getting more active members, as you might wish. Otherwise, you may just be moving a problem from one place to another in the long run.

And from the sound of things, one must jump through many hoops in order to even join the Guild...which is a big issue. As I understand it, not many from the Gametap era came back when MOULa started and they've seemed unwilling to replenish their ranks to solve that problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Do you wish to make comebacks, or add to the discussion? Illuminate us.

I was giving you a polite hint instead of just saying "Read the thread!" *
If the Guild isn't active, it isn't taking new members. If you aren't a member you can't do anything.

* Mod note:
edit out text

Last edited by OHB on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
If the Guild isn't active, it isn't taking new members. If you aren't a member you can't do anything.

Ken Telinome wrote:
Strictly speaking, there is a very, very limited way applications can be done for the guild at the moment--it is essentially "not hiring" openly. However, I encourage you (and everyone) to contact the guild masters. I know it sounds like a dumb idea, but any change from outside the guild will best be done through them.

Membership does not appear to be a prerequisite to contacting and engaging the GoG GMs, so your (OHB's) statement is without foundation. * In any case, because you (OHB) are a GoG member, you are in a good position to seek change. So, just do it.

* Mod note:
edit out text

Last edited by Zardoz on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 am 
Obduction Backer

This thread was temporarily removed for moderation assessment and to allow for a cooling off period as there were signs that this debate could have quickly become overheated.

It is the opinion of the moderation team that the underlying issues presented here need to be resolved within the Guild and through their own processes.

This thread will remain locked, as some of the issues raised in it are no longer valid in light of some recent changes that have taken place. However you are invited to resume civil discussion of the Guild of Greeters within a new thread here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3