It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:41 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Three Lakes, WI, USA
JWPlatt wrote:
Doobes2 wrote:
...the reason people have been reluctant to start something else is because the GoG is supposed to be the Cyan-sponsored group for such things. However, if nothing is going to happen from that end, others will be needed to pick up the slack

I can't tell from your words whether you are suggesting a new organization be formed to replace the GoG. But there is an existing infrastructure to do that, just like any kind of governance: get involved at the Guild of Greeters and change things that need change. Maybe the only change needed is getting more active members, as you might wish. Otherwise, you may just be moving a problem from one place to another in the long run.

Strictly speaking, there is a very, very limited way applications can be done for the guild at the moment--it is essentially "not hiring" openly. However, I encourage you (and everyone) to contact the guild masters. I know it sounds like a dumb idea, but any change from outside the guild will best be done through them.

And I want to reiterate that the GoG does not have a monopoly on welcoming new players, nor has ever claimed to. If others want to go and help in their own way, that is great. We exist to be a resource for anyone, not a mandatory thing.

_________________
KI: 00329185


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:44 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 1247
JWPlatt wrote:
get involved at the Guild of Greeters and change things that need change[d].


I don't think you quite understand what's going on here...

_________________
Image
Click here to change my signature!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6226
Location: Everywhere, all at once
Do you wish to make comebacks, or add to the discussion? Illuminate us.

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:17 am
Posts: 471
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
JWPlatt wrote:
Doobes2 wrote:
...the reason people have been reluctant to start something else is because the GoG is supposed to be the Cyan-sponsored group for such things. However, if nothing is going to happen from that end, others will be needed to pick up the slack

I can't tell from your words whether you are suggesting a new organization be formed to replace the GoG.


Absolutely not. The Guild of Greeters is not replaceable, in my opinion. However, while they're on this "hiatus" or what have you, there's still a need to orientate new players. Forming groups to supplement the GoG while they reform or rebuild is more what I'm leaning towards. It would take some of the burden off of them, which can be a good thing.

Quote:
But there is an existing infrastructure to do that, just like any kind of governance: get involved at the Guild of Greeters and change things that need change. Maybe the only change needed is getting more active members, as you might wish. Otherwise, you may just be moving a problem from one place to another in the long run.


And from the sound of things, one must jump through many hoops in order to even join the Guild...which is a big issue. As I understand it, not many from the Gametap era came back when MOULa started and they've seemed unwilling to replenish their ranks to solve that problem.

_________________
Image
KI Numbers: Doobes - 6302


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 1247
JWPlatt wrote:
Do you wish to make comebacks, or add to the discussion? Illuminate us.

I was giving you a polite hint instead of just saying "Read the thread!" *
If the Guild isn't active, it isn't taking new members. If you aren't a member you can't do anything.

* Mod note:
edit out text

_________________
Image
Click here to change my signature!


Last edited by OHB on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:22 am
Posts: 1092
Location: On the bluff
OHB wrote:
If the Guild isn't active, it isn't taking new members. If you aren't a member you can't do anything.

Ken Telinome wrote:
Strictly speaking, there is a very, very limited way applications can be done for the guild at the moment--it is essentially "not hiring" openly. However, I encourage you (and everyone) to contact the guild masters. I know it sounds like a dumb idea, but any change from outside the guild will best be done through them.

Membership does not appear to be a prerequisite to contacting and engaging the GoG GMs, so your (OHB's) statement is without foundation. * In any case, because you (OHB) are a GoG member, you are in a good position to seek change. So, just do it.

* Mod note:
edit out text


Last edited by Zardoz on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:23 pm
Posts: 4589
Location: Dutch mountains
This thread was temporarily removed for moderation assessment and to allow for a cooling off period as there were signs that this debate could have quickly become overheated.

It is the opinion of the moderation team that the underlying issues presented here need to be resolved within the Guild and through their own processes.

This thread will remain locked, as some of the issues raised in it are no longer valid in light of some recent changes that have taken place. However you are invited to resume civil discussion of the Guild of Greeters within a new thread here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: