It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm starting to think Cyan might be testing us a bit...
As it's going open source, they might be letting us handle a bit of the work for them (mainly being getting a stable server that can successfully handle the transfer of UCC and have stability when twenty people all decide to link in)

I have one question though: as it's going open source, does that imply that the $25/6 months no longer applies? Or is that still part of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I want to say that I'm very pleased with the path Cyan is taking; it seems like a good plan, that people will be able to link their servers together, or operate independently as they prefer. I see this as more than a compromise; I see it as a win/win.

I cannot believe that some people are bickering about it. If you don't like thinking about what some people might do on their own servers, well, don't think about it, and please don't rant about it. You don't have to shout out, "I won't be logging onto these servers!" Geez. Did you know if you want to discourage people from doing something, making a fuss about it will have the opposite result? There's even a modern name for that behavior.... Streisand Effect.

I am betting whatever may happen on the non-linked servers, we'll still see benefits from it. People will have a greater opportunity than ever before to let their minds wander without boundaries... I'm wondering when the first Age that really warps the physics engine will show up. :)

As for myself, I'm a software programmer, so the opening of the source code is what interests me the most. It'll be interesting to see the guts of the server and the client, and to see if there is anything I can do to help - even if helping just means documenting how it all fits together.

Thank you Cyan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:46 am 

We don't even know all the details yet. There is no problem with everyone making plans and spectulating. I would just caution everyone to be ready to change those plans based on what Cyan does and what they want. We can all work together and make something of this, or tear it and ourselves apart. I prefer the working together idea myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:56 am 

Cross post from Guild of Writers, I didn't know where to post it and this thread mentioned different setups so I thought this might be the best place for it. I know it is way too early to hammer out technical details of course, but I was wondering.

If people (can) have their own dataset, what about corrupted vaults and all that? Or wouldn't it be the same with the MOUL source code (rather than the old UU or alcugs)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Oops :shock:

We were warned.... :wink:

Quote:
Stay tuned! (and be civil out there).
Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:11 am 
Obduction Backer

ok, I pontificated over HERE

Venn diagrams make me think of a plate of cookies.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:17 am 

Thank Eleri. I now know what a Venn diagrams is. :D
And I agree with your theory, assumption, whatever you want to call it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:18 am 

Hooray! Something happened! In fact, something good happened! Here's my view:

One for the money, (Ubi)
Two for the show, (GT)
Three to get ready, (MO:RE)
And four to GO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Venn diagrams always make me think of radioactivity.

I'm odd that way..

But as for this? Wow. Uhm. Not what I expected, what I'd secretly (ok, not that secretly) hoped.

You guys realize though that now the onus is on us? I'm glad there's a community diverse enough to argue about what next, though I can't agree so much with the doom and gloom. However, well... yikes. I mean, seriously. Yikes. We're getting the game. Not just using it, but getting IT. My guess is the news is too fresh for some of us to sit down and realize what this means. It means that Cyan is NOT doing it for us anymore. It means we can't sit back and let them do it. It means.. Cyan isn't in control anymore.

And yes, it scares me a little. But I'm hopeful for the first time in a long while.. full of that silly wishful hope, that we'll show them we can handle this. Sure we'll have multiple designs going on, sure we'll have some bickering over methods. But, this is the first time a group can say "We don't like how you handle this... we're going to go off and do it our way". My hope now is that we'll be able to handle that properly, and not splinter, not ostracize. Instead diversify. Fold the various projects back into a centralized source set. Different builds and different versions for different tricks, but for the most part it'll stay true to the game. Because quite simply if we wanted to run off ande make a new game, we wouldn't be here.

We'll see how this goes. Chogon, I hope you guys know what you're doing, and I sincerely hope this doesn't mean you're in panic mode. Thank you for this, but I still want to see Cyan working their magic, in whatever way they do.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:44 am 
Obduction Backer

I have to admit, I am one of those people with some hesitant reservations about fully open sourced materials.

What will make the places people build Ages? What makes them D'niverse material, and not just some cool place? What makes it Uru, and not just Open Source 3D Modeling and Network?

I worry about the dilution of this rich mythology we've been given to play in, while wanting to respect people's abil;ity and right no play outside of the myth.

I know... I hope... that most of my concerns are unfounded, that care will be taken towards preserving the mythos of D'ni, but I do want to make sure that those concerns aren't also pooh-poohed away as irrelevant or unimportant.

KI#00001498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:03 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Eleri wrote:
I worry about the dilution of this rich mythology we've been given to play in, while wanting to respect people's abil;ity and right no play outside of the myth.

Star Trek
Star Wars
Middle Earth
... and more...

Canon survives. The fans express themselves and offer a huge variety of outlets. The mythos continues to prevail because the fans make it a success, literally in every way imaginable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:26 am 
Obduction Backer

*nodnod* thats why I think my concerns will be fleeting.

Also, typos much more common whn one has a kitten draped on ons arms.

KI#00001498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:28 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Eleri wrote:

Star Trek
Star Wars
Middle Earth
... and more...

Canon survives. The fans express themselves and offer a huge variety of outlets. The mythos continues to prevail because the fans make it a success, literally in every way imaginable.

Amen

And I could sure use a kitten right about now. It's freezing in here.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:59 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Eleri wrote:

Star Trek
Star Wars
Middle Earth
... and more...

I have read this entire thread while putting together an announcement of what's happening (sorta) in the GoMe Newsletter. I see patterns emerging and Eleri handled that better than I could type on the matter.
So for my benefit and maybe one or two others that are like me and have no age creation, programming, database, server, geeky knowledge or experience at all, this effort should/will go like the history, as I remember, maybe, of linux.
Open source, handled by a few, different variations, input by many, became a contender, coexists with Microsoft on a level playing field.
The core community that were involved, that still are involved, or have a passion to now get involved, will guard this Cyan gift to ensure that it doesn't die, but that it grows, gets better, matures and competes in the majors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:10 am 

I logged in after midnight and found THIS! :shock:

I don't know how this will turn out, but Uru is on the road again!
Whether or not we ever arrive matters very little to me right now. We just need movement and change. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next