It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:52 pm 

I'm sure Frisky Badger didn't mean anything by it.

As much as I respect Cyan for churning out a series as much fun as Myst, since the close of MO:UL a lot of the fanboy glamor has worn off. I believe Chogon 100% that the open source move is on hold because of one person, I also believe that until that one person kicks back the code that is needed Uru fan service on the forums isn't even in the top ten priority wise.

Cyan always posts when they have actual information, anyone is free to ask but that doesn't mean there is a answer yet.

P.S. @Robert

I don't know if I am going to Laugh or Cry if Uru really is being held up by Microsoft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 pm 

jmdoggett wrote:
Hey Frisky,

There's no need to resort to personal attacks. BTW road trips don't last seven months. My observations and opinions are from twenty five years professional experience in the software business. Obviously if they have time to make posts in other areas of the forum, they can take a few seconds to drop a post over here too. No rocket science there.

Its been close to a month since we had the last somewhat vague update and yes, letting Cyan know what we are thinking can't hurt, as long as we don't resort to personal attacks and flame wars.

I apologize, my comments weren't meant to be a personal attack. The "acting like 5 year olds" comment was referring to the community as a whole; a bunch of people saying "when are we getting an update" is just as annoying (to me, anyway) as one person repetitively asking (not that you, or anyone else, has done that). I respect your 25 years of work experience, even though my personal work experience leads me to different conclusions about Cyan's motivations (or lack thereof) to post here. The point is, since neither of us works for Cyan (are you a sleeper? :shock: ), our personal work experience doesn't mean anything in regards to Cyan's situation except to speculate based on that experience. Our speculations are different, no big deal. Even though I don't think you questioning of Cyan is necessary, or will illicit a response, I hope it does. :D

Now, for the love of all things Uru could someone please win the lottery and throw some money at Cyan! :P

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:31 am 

I agree with things both jmdoggett and Frisky have said.

I had a problem a while back with people not respecting Cyan or its current issues (and somebody made statements into the ether, but I suppose vaguely in my direction, about "making apologies" for calling out the disrespect), but it's also finally clear that Cyan hasn't been communicating effectively.

As jmdoggett says, it doesn't pass the sanity test that there is some mystical dongle that only one person may deliver. Even if it's something like an encryption table or whatever, it can be reverse-engineered and I'm sure people would be happier banging away to overcome some shortcoming like that than just being told there wasn't anything they could do. (The announcement about what is missing wasn't clear but it didn't seem to point towards software actually.)

The cynic in me points out that they never would have had felt pushed to make a weak public statement if people weren't constantly pushing at the issue, and that leads to the second possible answer: that they aren't making posts not because they wish to hide something but because they don't want to inflame the situation.

Of course, the situation is inflamed anyhow. I respect Cyan's hands-off approach, and recently I was able to see the exact opposite approach in practice, as moderators on the official Forum for America's Army were very strict in not allowing people to discuss the latest version (AA3) before it released. Of course, the rumors and a general sense of foreboding were still firmly in place until release (and in that case any minor disappointment in the pre-release issues were blown out of the water by the actual experience of the game's release, first week, and developer firing fiasco).

Could be a mix of both: They really don't have time to deal with it, and they don't want to make people angry. Well, I say, anger be danged, just tell us the harsh truth and that will have to do! This is a Forum and news that the release is indefinitely delayed is not going to get sugar in anybody's gas tank. If anything the truth is that the "well, we are owed some stuff from X person" has only stoked rumor-mongering, so if it was intended to protect any individual it has had the reverse effect, as far as I can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 am 

Given the community skill set and permission form Cyan we could have reverse engineered this whole issue let's face it there's stuff available for the CC stand alone version so just what could it be that's missing.

As it is all we can do is speculate and self harm.

Chogon has said it's an ex-employee that's causing the hold up. It's difficult to understand what changes could only be made by this person unless of course only they have the copy of the source code or the software to access some bespoke source code. Having seen things reverse engineered in the community it's hard to believe that this can't be worked around. If that is the case at least we would understand the reason for the screw up.

Reading between the lines whoever it is is not responding to Cyan they've got their head down into some other project and just ignoring the email. Could it be that they've accidentaly spammed Cyan inquiries.

The only other thing I can think of that can't be replicated would be a permission to publicaly release some copywrite or ipr material held in abayance because somebody didn't like the thought of their work being open sourced.

If it is that then a declaration from Cyan without naming names would at least put the hiatus into context.

Until there's movement all we have is this sort of rampant speculation and nothing short of disclosure or code release is going to remove the dormant and persistent feeling of disapointment. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:42 pm 

Quote:
Frisky: I apologize, my comments weren't meant to be a personal attack.

Accepted. No worries.

Regarding the dongle idea, or something like that, I have designed and built similar devices during my software career. (I hold a US HAM license, and built my first computer when I was a kid back in the late 60's)

In software we have this saying about redundancy of components, backups and why we should have them. That is "because we may get hit by a bus" although lately I have heard "bread truck" used as well.

I got the sense that Chogon was referring to a piece of software the individual in question had. My point was that since there is nothing motivating them to release the code they have no sense of urgency to do so or to push to resolve issues like the one Chogon described. I'm wired up a little different. I'd be on the person's porch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:39 pm 

That's gona be a very crowded porch. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:29 pm 

As a side note Blender just did something rather nice for their game engine. They split the difference the engine is still open source but now the data files are loaded different so they can remain copywrite protected. I see a lot of potential for Uru and this method.

I now return you to your regular programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 pm 

JKla wrote:

The only other thing I can think of that can't be replicated would be a permission to publicaly release some copywrite or ipr material held in abayance because somebody didn't like the thought of their work being open sourced.
(

I believe many of us rational types think that this is probably the case. Chogon specifically stated that the issue is not a technical one. That hints to me that it is a liability (license/copyright) issue and the reason that only this one person can deal with it.

Just send a very polite e-mail to Greydragon or ... asking him to please hurry.

[Disclaimer}
No. I don't support nor condone overloading the in-box of any of the fine, historic employees of Cyan
[/Disclaimer]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:10 am 

:raises eyebrow, tilts head in curiosity:

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 pm 

Teedyo wrote:

Do we know that it is Greydragon?

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:26 pm 

nothing I have ever seen hints at it one way or the other.

Would be nice to think it's him however, we'd know he really is "that busy" and that he'd eventually get it done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:48 am 

Frisky Badger wrote:
Teedyo wrote:

Do we know that it is Greydragon?

No, and they either should have dropped the other shoe or done a "done when it's done;" either way it'd be preferable to stoking rampant speculation by dribbling out bits of information.

We don't even know it's software related; the second comment by Chogon is this:
Quote:
It [the "code changes"] has less to do with something technical and more to do with, well, something else.

Thanks,
Chogon

I'd guess it has to be something legal, but once again...more speculation :lol:

Personally I think it's all rubbish; I can't imagine there's anything that can't be rebuilt or replaced with available open source stuff. Of course it's easy for me to say that when I won't be looking through it all, but I think some folks are chomping at the bit (err bad analogy perhaps) to start working on SOMEthing. (And no, I have no interest in hustling the process along. None whatsoever :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 pm 

MustardJeep wrote:
nothing I have ever seen hints at it one way or the other.

Would be nice to think it's him however, we'd know he really is "that busy" and that he'd eventually get it done.

Which is exactly why I dropped his name alongside that ellipsis. I believe the same to be true of any name that might be "contained" in the aforementioned ellipsis.

Post subject: Re: The hold up!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:00 am 

I'm disappointed like I'm sure many of us are that the open source code has not come to us after so long a wait. :cry: It is painful to see the URU fan base wither away like it has. If the Code was released tommorrow I have no doubts that the core fan group would be back in a flash. :P Many who might have a few months ago, might not now come back and more and more are becoming that way with the passing of time. It is only natural that explorers would move on. What ever the reasons for why it has not come all this time now really doesn't matter. It will come when it does. I just hate that the longer this goes on for the more damage to the fan base it will have and make getting it going harder than it might have been 6 months ago. This is just a statement to the obvious. So we wait. :roll:

Post subject: Have Faith!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey! Maybe they are waiting to make the big announcement at Mysterium at the end of this month with the purpose of sending out all of the attendees to spread the word. Kind of like the 12 apostles... only there will probably be more than 12...I hope.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next