It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:28 am 

BAD wrote:
aloys wrote:
Whilyam wrote:
I like the Many Servers, Many Universes idea. That everyone may have Uru as they like it. That's what's always bugged me.

Personally I'm very attached to the concept of continuity and the fact that we (as players) could all evolve in a single universe.. Obviously the new direction totally throw this out the window, but I guess that's the price to pay so Uru can continue and evolve.

The problem is when you force everyone to play a game one way, you stifle those who have a different idea of how it should be played. Eventually those people stray to other games.

In this if you set up a server to be canon friendly, you attract those of like mind. If the idea is a popular one, then you'll get a lot of people. If not, then you at least can play as you wish to.

Seconded. The problems came when people were prevented from enjoying Uru as they wanted to. People come to this game for different reasons. Some come for D'ni history. For them, the path open now is to create new stories for the history of the D'ni. Some come here to high-quality Ages. For them, the path open now is to browse the fan Ages and hold them to a high standard (writers may not meet those standards, but it benefits us all to have them set, to have a goal). Some come here for stories. For them, the path open now is to either make their own or enjoy those of their fellow explorers. Some come for a place to chat that is Myst-themed. For them, as long as there is Uru, there is always a place. We only have issues with one another when we can no longer enjoy ourselves as we would like. We only are divided when we divide each other. Now's not the time to be divided in the past, but instead united towards the future. I see great possibility in the community. True, my view of the community may be flawed just as those who disagree with me may have a flawed view as well. I'm confident that this Uru will show the true diversity of the community and allow as much of it as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:35 am 
Obduction Backer

aloys wrote:
This is great news. Despite all the changes (and even anarchy) that it will bring I think this is the right thing to do. (I can already hear the screams of pain of Tweek ;) ) and probably the best move Cyan can do right now, at least as far as Uru is concerned.

:P

Although I had been entertaining the idea of a Beneath shard, an IC place rich in D'ni lore (and DIRT content when I can bribe Rand to fork it over >.> ;) ) a while back.

But seriously though I guess we shall see where this goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Truly the Tree of Possibilities has opened up! I can't wait to see what wonders can be dreamt up by all of you amazingly talented and diverse people.

The best part of all of this for me is that if I'm in the mood for canonical Cyan-style URU there will be a strong group who will nurture that particular iteration - but I am also looking forward to seeing some boundaries pushed, some new ideas, and limitless creativity. I will definitely approach this brave new Myst Online with my mind and eyes wide open.

Viva Diversity!

Now, to Cyan: go do what you need to do. Grow and thrive! Dream and create! Come back with something to knock our socks off...and thank-you for this gift. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:40 am 

One thought is that if the fans had never hacked the game then we would never have been given this. Uru could have just faded away as so many other forgotten but once loved games have. As much as some have decried the hacking of the game in the past, if those same people are welcoming this news from Cyan then they should realize that the hackers 'helped' to bring this about.

We are ready to move forward with MORE (or whatever it is to be called), and hacking helped to put us in that position. It gave Cyan an option that they otherwise would not have had, and it helped to create a first in the gaming world.

Just something to remember. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:44 am 

Ah, so wrongful means are justified by the end. That philosophy pretty much explains much of the ills that abound in this world as well, IMO.

Last edited by TetoTehho on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:47 am 
Obduction Backer

First, thank you so much, Cyan, for the exciting news. I really am looking forward to meeting in the Cavern again with friends, and the possibility of the story going ahead at the hands of the explorers is just amazing.

I can see both sides of the canon argument. Personally, I'd like to spend most of my time "in canon," so to speak. But at the same time, I'd like to take the occasional excursion to some of the other areas to see what my fellow explorers are dreaming up.

Maybe the no-holds-barred servers could be called "loose canons". Ha.

Papa Smurf wrote:
Quote:
We are just a part of a tree that will have many branches, Cyan is the tree and we all know that. Where they go we will be sure to follow, but in the meantime we will have our own work to do.

Well put! I agree that Cyan is still central to the whole adventure, even though they've passed the creative reins to the community. I intend to keep a hearty love and respect for Cyan at the heart of my adventures.

Cheers, all. I am really looking forward to /waving at you again!

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:48 am 
Obduction Backer

TetoTehho wrote:
Ah, so wrongful means justifies the end. That philosophy pretty much explains much of the ills that abound in this world as well, IMO.

I think his point was that often the same people who spoke out against hacking had no problem enjoying the fruits of it when Cyan actually adopted some of the code for use on D'mala.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Ah, so wrongful means justifies the end. That philosophy pretty much explains much of the ills that abound in this world as well, IMO.

Keep in mind that the "hacking" was not at all condemned by Cyan at the time. There were guidelines, to be sure, but Cyan spokespersons have stated in the past that they were amazed by some of the work the "hackers" were producing.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:50 am 
Obduction Backer

So, I have been checking the forums every day or two since the servers went down, and can honestly say I did not see this coming. With all the pessimistic talk of IP and getting permission from Gametap I expected that Uru would slowly fade away. I had bought into the pessimism and was starting to fear the worst.

This news has me so excited I don't know how to put it into words! I'm extremely happy that the obsessive devoted explorers can finally put all of their talents to work on the cavern without needing to worry about stepping on the toes of commercial entities. I honestly expect that this will lead to the best incarnation of the Myst series that has been released since Riven, given the tendency of the explorers to never give up and always keep working and hoping for a better cavern than the day before.

I look forward to contributing what I can to the future of the cavern and working with all of you in the future. And when the place does go live, I totally intend to be there from the start, and remain as long as possible once again. I've never stopped being a part of the Myst fanbase since I first played the original at a friend's house in 1995, and I intend to be here till the bitter end, or, if all goes according to the grandiose wishes of the explorers, to help build a Cavern that will last long after I'm gone.

Thank you to all of you at Cyan (or at least the few of you left) for taking this step for Uru. I truly believe that this is the best way to make the game continue to live on no matter what individual person or group may find themselves lacking in the time to support the project. I am and have always been a supporter of open source, and truly believe that it is the way of the future and the most definite way to ensure that the game reaches as wide of an audience as possible.

I also want to thank the other explorers, who have never given up on the prospect of sharing our futures in the cavern together, and building a better Myst with our continued efforts. We've just been handed a free ticket to the future, and I look forward to seeing the level of devotion we have shown over the years applied to the continued greatness of the cavern.

Thank you everyone, and I'll see you in the cavern!

New Ki Numbers:
Time: # 46623
kiyoshigawa: # 52442

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:59 am 

Quote:

Another one of those 'forest/trees' issues people eh? ;)

If you would rather have nothing until Cyan could revive it then you would be waiting for a long time, along with a lot of other people. Cyan made a decision and, from what I am reading, a majority of the fans approve if it (especially in lieu of the option of having nothing at all).

Find a way, make a home, or not. It is your choice to make, right? Now we all have choices, just like you. If you wish, you are free to wait until Cyan returns.

If you do then I have a feeling you will be waiting for some time. Me? I will gladly have fun with what we are being given. To do otherwise would be... ummm... not smart.

Yeah, that's the ticket! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Papa Smurf wrote:
One thought is that if the fans had never hacked the game then we would never have been given this. Uru could have just faded away as so many other forgotten but once loved games have. As much as some have decried the hacking of the game in the past, if those same people are welcoming this news from Cyan then they should realize that the hackers 'helped' to bring this about.

We are ready to move forward with MORE (or whatever it is to be called), and hacking helped to put us in that position. It gave Cyan an option that they otherwise would not have had, and it helped to create a first in the gaming world.

Just something to remember. ;)
That really knocks me off, Papa Smurf!!! You're all so great and wise people...
And that's really the great wisdom of Life or one of them... :P

And you're right as well, TetoTehho, and I always realized and wondered how the developments in Uru (also within the
ongoing storyline) mirrored the developments/happenings in the world... And they still do... Just Wow!!!...

The Old is about to leave and The New has already begun... God bless America, Cyan, You All and the whole world!!!... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:01 am 

TetoTehho wrote:

Wow, Did you forget to take your medication today? Were talking about a computer game. Lighten up. :wink:

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:24 am 
Obduction Backer

kiyoshigawa, if by "hacking" you mean the UCC, then technically it was not hacking at all. Since most (if not all, but there may have been a few exceptions...) of it got an FCAL from Cyan before much work was begun. As for the distribution method, ULM is technically a hack, but did not modify any Cyan files as far as I'm concerned, apart from the Relto bookshelf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:25 am 

Reading and seeing are two different things, and I hope you are intelligent enough to know that. See and decide for yourself, don't read what others write and let that decide for you.

Two sides (at least) to every story and all that stuff. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:25 am 

You have got to be kidding me..........

You missed out. The troubles were always on the forums, never in game. We all (on either side of the fence) had a lot of fun in UU.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next