It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 am 
Obduction Backer

so...now we know why Yeesha put those symbols over our bookcases... :shock:

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

As I mentioned before, Uru works, I fail to see the need for gimmicks and acronyms, it would make more sense to focus on what we're going to actually do with it over giving it a silly name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 pm 

Tweek wrote:
As I mentioned before, Uru works, I fail to see the need for gimmicks and acronyms, it would make more sense to focus on what we're going to actually do with it over giving it a silly name.

Hopefully, this is just something for people to do while they wait, and it won't continue for long after we actually get started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:45 pm 

Infinity sounds good , however the names not important as long as the game survives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:10 pm 

Tweek wrote:

Its to represent the current iteration of the game, which is still Uru Live.

MOOSE is still to me the best code name I have come across that captures the essence of why we will come back, with a mascot.

Maybe we can convince Yeesha to give use the moose head Relto page

DIRT, MUDPIE, Prologue, UU, MOUL, MORE are all (bar one) acronyms that explain in one word the iteration of the game, MOOSE is no different in my eye.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:

errr .... god forbid that we should have a bit of fun whilst we wait (again) for Cyan to do it's thing .... sheesh ! ... lighten up tweek ... we're only fooling around :roll:

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Bob - I guess you haven't heard, fun was outlawed 2 weeks ago.

Along with coloured clothing, grey clothes only.

Believe it or not, I am well aware of people larking around, my point is seriously I'd rather see a reasonable name over a long one for the sake of it spelling a gimmick.

@Grogyan - semantics I guess, whilst I agree that it is Uru online, It isn't Uru Live in my opinion ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:25 pm 

It was , is and will be MystOnline. lets focus on important things.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Never before has a game company open sourced their engine, server code etc, to its fans, for them to develop and build.

Not entirely true. Volition did so with Freespace 2 (though they were going bankrupt at the time, before they were bought by THQ) and id Software does it with every engine they release. Granted, those games are wildly different from the one we have here, and it is certainly not the norm, but engines do get open sourced occasionally.

Back on topic, my vote is 'Uru'. Although I haven't been around the community lately, in chats I was having with people just prior to GameTap shutting us down I was holding the firm position that Uru is not Myst, not in the least bit. Yes, they are part of the same universe, but the storytelling, the gameplay, and the general atmosphere are so very different. One is not better than the other, indeed I enjoy both very much, but they are so different that classifying them the same is almost an insult to their identities.

This new version of Uru is still Uru at its core, and unless that changes at some point I believe it is important to reflect that in the name. However, it is also very true that all previous incarnations of Uru have had subtitles, and that all previous incarnations have failed. I certainly won't draw the conclusion that the subtitles caused the game to fail, but for a long time I've felt that we need a "back to the roots" initiative, and using the root of the name as the official title is certainly a great way to symbolize that.

Is the name boring? Perhaps, but there are many successful games with boring names. "Haze", "Black", "Ico", "Bully" just to name a few. And certainly weird sounding names in the realm of adventure gaming is not unheard of: "Rhem", "Nibiru", "Celtica", "Schizm", and even "Riven". I eagerly await to hear what Cyan will call it when the source is released.

Of course, assuming various servers and clients branch off the main codebase (which is more or less inevitable), I supposed there is nothing saying the different branches couldn't have different names. I would hope that those names don't get too outlandish however.

I did think Open Source Myst Online (OSMO) was rather catchy though, even if it doesn't fit with what I think the name should reflect :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:00 pm 

I spent like a an hour working on a post here. Hit preview and got the login screen again! What I had written vanished! Talk about words cant' express my feelings about this! :shock: :roll: :evil: :twisted: What the :idea: As I retype it again! Steam rolls off my body as tears stream down my face!

My suggestion is that the issue brought up here in this thread of name/ acronyms of BNur - Moose - SOUL - Uru Again - and any others, etc.... be used as a vote test to establish a recognized Permanent Official Website/ format for the Uru Community to use for voting on upcoming issues of Open Source. Why not let the Uru Community decide an Officially recognized name for Open Source and other things the like. A Permanent Official Website/ format place for the Guilds or Master Guild Panel, if ever established, ( made up of Guild Members from the Guilds?) to propose issues to the Uru Community for a vote on after thread debates have establish voting parameters? LOL Might even need votes to decide how to frame a vote. For now, Uru fans surf Guild Sites and others forum threads to often find and piece together threads of information to get a reliable consensus of what is going on. To save time, it would be great to have a centralize recongined official site to get information from. There is a thread that ran and had examples on it for doing just such, but fizzled out from the Cyan silence. I bring this up because of an Open Source Website link put up to become the Official Centralized Site for the Open Source. Fine by me, if that's what the Uru Community wants. Though my point is that what the Uru Community wants and what is being done for them by others assuming the role and task to manage matters, I for one would like to see something implimented to allow the Community a bit more input at the start. With so many sites and threads touching upon same or similar topics and those within them looking to influence and direct things. I felt that just maybe the Uru Community could get an Official Centralized Website for voting and disseminating Open Source preferences to the Master Guild Panel (or what ever) that becomes in charge with a vote to establish an official name for the Open Source and tackle other issues as they arise.

Just a suggestion. Maybe a Permanent Centralized Official Uru Community Website already exists, other than this left over MOUL Website this thread is on. Please Post a link in this thread for me to who, what and where is the Uru Communities Permanent Official Site for Open Source is going to be/ at. Or maybe we vote on it?. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 pm 

sorry about that delay and loss of post, i know just how you feel :)

no there is no central place yet. A few ppl have tried to grab that in power plays but so far we are clean and it will happen if ppl really want it i am sure. a good possible idea.

there is a thread on the Guild Sectoin for discussing a all Guilds meeting which may lead to what you are suggestig...i suggest you keep an eye on it :)

until Cyan announces more news, we realy are only having a long and nice MOUL URU style conversation. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:36 pm 

"URU" - plain and simple.

I hated it when GameTap added "Myst Online" to URU Live because people coming into the Cavern were expecting another "Myst" or "Riven" style of game play and expressed great disappointment when they didn't get it. URU is not "Myst" though it takes place in the same D'niverse. Let's stop the confusion and just call it URU.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

glib as it all may be, it's pretty much a given that no matter what set of letters it gets labeled, everyone's just going to call it "Uru" anyhow.

Myself, as much as I like MOOS and MOOSE, they seem kinda cheezy...and despite Chogon's fear of confusion, I think OSMO is both simple, easy to parse out what it stands for, and a nice homage to Cyan's early days.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:19 pm 

good point about URU i had not thought about that...

and MOOS is cute, and OSMO is a nice hommage i agree eleri

i give up

i have NO opinion :) just love the fact we get to go back to the Cavern :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
i have NO opinion :) just love the fact we get to go back to the Cavern :)

That's the way :D

I am Drakmyth, and I approve this message! :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next