It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Content
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

The fact that it's open source is awesome, but I'm more concerned with content right now.

Q: Will you have some kind of content approval process?

I'd suggest a mainstream release set where everyone gets a copy of the ones that are approved into the world, and also a way to play what other people have made if you download it specifically. That lets Cyan continue to add plot and new content (with us providing some of the content) and still lets everyone try out all the cool stuff out there, even if it doesn't really fit in with the Myst world. Also, it allows a way to let people vote on what they think the best new content is and Cyan can choose things a little easier.

Post subject: Re: Content
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:27 pm 

wccrawford wrote:
The fact that it's open source is awesome, but I'm more concerned with content right now.

Q: Will you have some kind of content approval process?

I'd suggest a mainstream release set where everyone gets a copy of the ones that are approved into the world, and also a way to play what other people have made if you download it specifically. That lets Cyan continue to add plot and new content (with us providing some of the content) and still lets everyone try out all the cool stuff out there, even if it doesn't really fit in with the Myst world. Also, it allows a way to let people vote on what they think the best new content is and Cyan can choose things a little easier.

That's a good idea, but unfortunately I think we've passed the point where Cyan can do much right now. The closest I think we'll see is a quasi-official guild-based shard system/storyline. We'll have to wait and see. :)

(Personally I could care less what kind of Ages appear, I just won't visit the ones that are too goofy. :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:36 pm 

How much bandwidth will the shards need?
How much data can we expect to have to move for new player startup and then for in-game play?

What about protection of children in game?
What are the liabilities for shard operators?

In GT's Uru there was some harassment of female players. Can Cyan give us any idea of the extent of the problem they handled and what we may have to deal with?

Is open source as Cyan frames it going to allow for porting of the game to other systems, i.e., OpenSIM, RealXtend, Orange Box or something along those lines?

Will this open source allow for copies of Uru ages in places like SL?

Asked another way, will this open source allow use of the 3D meshes in 'Uru like copies' in other systems? Textures? Sounds? Music? Puzzles?

To support servers and bandwidth costs shard operators may need financial help. Will this open source restrict for profit use? Will it provide an avenue for 'for profit' use?

Will 'for profit' be considered any income? Membership dues? Donations?
Will it allow any income for the payment of shard operators or other 'employee' types?
Will it allow operational costs to be covered, i.e., electricity, bandwidth, hardware, computer parts and repairs?

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

When will Cyan address the bias, one sided, double standard, favoritism moderation on this forum?

This elephant is stinking up the forum pretty good these days. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

If this has already been asked, I apologize, I missed it.

Along with the source code, will Cyan be making available, the problem ticket/investigations/postmortems of current issues, results of discussions/plans to address them that may have been in place or in the works prior to project change, and any steps/revisions taken to date?

Also, will the documentation be provided with the source explaining the current reasoning, development procedures, etc., behind what does exist and its program flow (flow charts?). That is, will the source be documented?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
If this has already been asked, I apologize, I missed it.
I'd say don't worry about it. I'm sure that Lynnutte will filter out any duplicates when she prepares the list for Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

RW. wrote:
Also, will the documentation be provided with the source explaining the current reasoning, development procedures, etc., behind what does exist and its program flow (flow charts?). That is, will the source be documented?

*looks at his super-secret list of support tool commands from his days as a ResEng, which is littered with "don't know what this is/does, don't use it"s...*

I hope so, but I suspect there may be gaps in there. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:42 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Alahmnat wrote:
I suspect there may be gaps in there. ;)

Or gasps.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:59 pm 

Will their be a more effective way to adjust the brightness and contrast within the game with this version?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:14 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Karkadann wrote:
Will their be a more effective way to adjust the brightness and contrast within the game with this version?

Oh, I am totally with you on that.

But Cyan will rightly say that it will be up to the community developers now.

That is one of theose pet peeves, along with corrupted JPGs, Num Lock key control, typing 'z' first, "Bevin" instead of "Neighborhood" and not being able to slide and turn simultaneously that really, really irked me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:08 pm 

If someone knew who (in the community) would be better suited to answer the question and would like to relay the question, I'm sure its a issue we have all dealt with at one time or another.

Its the responsibility of every student to try and surpass their teacher, we have an opportunity to make Uru live better then ever before. A failure at this point would be more on the Community then Cyan

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:46 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Karkadann wrote:

Oh, I am totally with you on that.

That is one of theose pet peeves, along with corrupted JPGs, Num Lock key control, typing 'z' first, "Bevin" instead of "Neighborhood" and not being able to slide and turn simultaneously that really, really irked me.

And the last change to the KI that no longer let's you see the names of 'who's in the room' when you 'sit'...

Now your asking questions that tickle my little fancy...

Where are the MOUL/Uru game 'trouble tickets' and/or 'enhancement requests' from the explorers to be gathered and worked on?
Who has the forms for submission?
Who are they going to be sent to, that Cyan has allowed to work on their IP?
Who combs the forums that are full of such things already and collates them to be put on forms?

JWPlatt suggested it be part of OpenURU
And OpenURU isn't 'empire building' OR intended to start a turf war either. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:11 am 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
Also, we may (or may not) be subject to RAWA's guidelines for new content, or other systems (FCALs etc)..

Does FCAL (Cyan approval) still apply for new content?

No, we no longer will have to go through the red tape to create new content, though there will be some QA done by server admins or the folks at the GoMa and GoW, before new content will be allowed on a main server

My Questions
1) Will we get the max scenes used to compile the prp files for all the Ages and GUI's?
2) Will we get the tool, which I assume is a tool for changing SDL variables in the vault on the fly?
3) Will we be likely to get any tools (other than the plugin) that Cyan has used to produce the Ages and GUI's?
4) A common question over the years, can we also have the max scenes used for places like Vika and other Ages that didn't make the cut?
5) What limits are imposed on utilizing Cyan's assets from the game to create new content? (this is a gray area at the moment)
6) Did the guys at Cyan have a great Christmas and looking forward to the new year ahead?

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:58 am 

Al'Kaera wrote:

That is one of those pet peeves, along with corrupted JPGs, Num Lock key control, typing 'z' first, "Bevin" instead of "Neighborhood" and not being able to slide and turn simultaneously that really, really irked me.

And the last change to the KI that no longer let's you see the names of 'who's in the room' when you 'sit'...
[/quote]

There are already a number of fixes going to be planned on being fixed once we have the source code.

There is also discussions in the GoW on the possible rework of the KI GUI system from the ground up here
http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtop ... 8&start=20
and
http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtop ... =10&t=2608

And perhaps reusing this old thing as the backbone of that interface

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Grogyan wrote:
Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
Also, we may (or may not) be subject to RAWA's guidelines for new content, or other systems (FCALs etc)..

Does FCAL (Cyan approval) still apply for new content?

No, we no longer will have to go through the red tape to create new content, though there will be some QA done by server admins or the folks at the GoMa and GoW, before new content will be allowed on a main server

Where is that in blue?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next