It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:15 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
Whilyam wrote:
I'm sure shard owners will be taking donations at some point. Then you can support whichever shard(s) you'd like.

Somebody mentioned rewards for donations?? As I recall a lot of people mentioned Cones for their Relto, how about taking both of these ideas and adding a few frills and dressings? A donation of $(A) gives you a small cone, a donation of $(B) gives you a regular size cone, and a donation of $(C) and above gives you a large cone. The more often you donate the more cones you get, and if your Relto is getting to crowded with donation cones just kick a few over the edge.

what-do-ya think?

I'm personally against that because that breeds elitism (I'M the bigger Uru fan because I have a giant cone!) and also gradually restricts the game (to the point where you get a couple basic things and then you have to pay for every shrub you pass in the game). I DO think some real world rewards might be a good incentive as that limits potential elitism by adding a level of separation to it (It's harder to brag about having a t-shirt back in the real world when you're talking in the game).

I think people will (have to?) come up with interesting ways of getting donations. One idea might be to hold a donation drive. The person who pays the most gets an Age designed by <insert shard's best age designer here>. Again I'd personally be against that, but it's an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:24 pm 

A bit of practicality comes in here. Business-wise, the best way to get donations is to give people something for them. The reason most every MMO has some kind of pay-extra-and-you-get-stuff scheme is because it works.

Cones in a relto is a good idea, because the reltos aren't immediately visible to everyone, and yet the individual player gets a very nice representation. Another possibility would be to allow (completely voluntary) subscriptions, those who pay them get their characters mentioned either on a DRC website or even with a graphic in the game at various levels depending on the subscription. That again would be completely IC, a DRC sponsors list, the same way opera houses put the names of their sponsors up on the walls and in their programs.

Will it foster some elitism? Well, yes, probably, but I think most of the people who would actually do it know better than to act elitist or act like they own the game, and it would work better than just asking for donations with no reward.

Now, I would suggest that any rewards be limited to one item (cones) or one object (the sponsors list), so as to avoid the slippery slope of "pay for customization".

The Students of D'ni Knowledge!

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

The best reason for donations is a starker truth - pay up or the shard dies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:35 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
The best reason for donations is a starker truth - pay up or the shard dies.

Remarkably enough, however, that method most often fails. Just recently a RPG company I work for, with thousands of players internationally, multiple awards for their product, and the biggest single tabletop RPG event at Origins Game Expo two years in a row, suffered a major setback and had to cancel many of their products. Why? "We're using the pre-orders for this product as a weather gauge. If you want to continue to see products for this line, pre-order this product."

Strangely enough, immediately after they failed to get even 200 pre-orders (again, playerbase of thousands,) people began whining about the fact that they weren't going to be releasing their product.

That "starker truth" doesn't ever seem to work. It works for the hardcore fans, but hardcore fans are rarely enough to actually make a viable game. You have to give people something, which appeals to the regular fans as well.

The Students of D'ni Knowledge!

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:37 pm 

I strongly disagree with not having a reward, a little donation reward in the game could be a perk boosting competition and be used to select Staff. :lol:

A lot of very popular games sell access to a "minor admin" Plugin for a minimal donation to the Server. Uru calls them ResEng's/Customer Service but in any other online game they fill the roll of the people that hold "Minor Admin" rights. There will always be some very good solid people that want to play ResEng, and are responsible enough to do the job right.

Five dollars,Ten dollars and you'd have staff across multiple time zones plus a good chunk of the server paid each month. Heek just offering a limited number of User KI's to cover the difference would probably be enough to fund a server fully if it was added to the ResEng Buy in. It's nothing much more then people were used to in UU, just using a toy people already liked as a carrot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's an interesting idea, MJ - donations for services. Wouldn't it be better and more stable to subscribe for something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm 

Yes but at the moment I expect there would be a high turn over rate for the ResEng slots. Subscriptions could be offered at a slight discount after the Shard Admins find people they trust.

As for the User KI, It's a high demand item subject to and cause of a lot of abuse to the Game Play. Monthly rental fees would seem to be the answer to dweebs being a pain with it long term. If your paypal account is on file it would be much harder to renew a User KI rental for months on end, other people would have a shot, and that would make it a very effective in game perk.

P.S. No one has mentioned the very effective fund raiser of soliciting from Storytellers. The tools and instructions to build things can and should be given away for free, but a minimal fee to access the services to pull off a real story like Cyan, not just RP'ing it like explorers did in MO:UL could be a windfall in both directions. The Server gets a very minimal donation, and the fee keeps people from demanding Shards support their stories(half baked or not) at random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 am 

I thought cones may be a good idea because in order to brag you hafta invite them to your Relto, "Hay as long as your here you wanna check out one of my ages" it might encourage group activities, in addition if you see some one with some of those cones you may get jealous and want some for your self. Just cuz you have more cones then me or your cones are bigger then mine does not mean your a bigger fan then me, it just means you have more money to burn then me, at least for now. No donation is considered insulting, if thats all you can afford then thats all you can afford.

In addition to your donation keeping a wonderfully place open so everybody can enjoy it, a donation always looks good on your income tax.

The one thing I liked the most about Uru Live is everybody is on equal ground whether your a filthy rich celebrity or some kid that got an account on GT for a birthday gift.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2