It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:14 pm 

^^^Where can I find this video?

Post subject: Code - Cyan & Bugs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 pm 

Whatever the code/ pluggins :roll: needing to be done will eventually be done. :D I'm cool with it all as long as it does get done and we get game! 8)

Nalates said:
Quote:
I found it interesting that Rand still would like Cyan to run the servers. But, he seemed clear that is dependent on circumstances.

Cyan run servers might be good for maintaining standards and some order. For myself, I would like to see some independent run servers in the equation. Some out of the box ages could be fun, even if vaguely related to uru.

Neereus said:
Quote:
If you sanction a bug to be part of the normal gameplay, it's no longer a bug is it?

You read my mind! The Cavern tent and main stairs became commonly exploited bugs. The stairs bug being exploited all the way back to prologue/ beta?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:50 pm 

Two months have now elapsed since any word on the open source code. Or did I miss something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:30 pm 

You missed Mysterium.

Check the transcript on this forum and the Q&A discussion.

Rand answered questions in a meeting that was captured on video. The video is worth the 1.5+/- hours to watch. It is very hard to understand (room acoustics are really bad). So, big thanks to CrisGer and Marten for taking the time to make the transcript.

Rand is mostly in the last 30 minutes.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Let's make this easy. The transcript is here:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18109

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:02 pm 

Plowing through that mountainous transcript was not easy at all. :)

Here is the near near-gibberish that seems to constitute the relevant (and ultimately depressing) part:

Rand: We ah, we, lets see here, We're rolling down the, ah, I'll make a story out of this...we're chugging down the open source path because we don't really have anything else to do, and we're hoping for things to do because we've laid off people we don't have any income and we need kind of money and then this other deal came in where people said well hey, we'd kind of like you to use your engine and do this stuff for us, and suddenly Mark DeForest who was the engineer of the Open Source Train, choo choo -[makes pulling whistle cord motion], suddenly got involved in other things and we have our plans laid of what we need to do, and some of it is just technical, we'll pull certain things out that are, that we’ve licensed that we can't just let the public use and we have to, we have plug ins that we have to be careful with letting out, and we’ve got a plan about how to do it but suddenly Mark DeForest was engaged in money-bringing-in-work so that took priority, so we still have no other plans other than to do Open Source and like to move it out there, this time we are thinking we want to do
something a little different... boy its been a while since we did all of this, ..but it’s… we’d like to run the server, or run servers, and, but still have Open Source where people are able to build stuff and adjust stuff but We'd be more the keeper of it. mm. and see where that goes, cause it seemed like that might be a cool way to do it that way, we'd keep things going but its still passing thru a filter, m, but anyway that’s the plans, and as soon as really we run out of work we will get back on that.

[Audience laughter]

01:05:56: Questioner: A followup question. Are you planning on releasing the server code and the engine code separately so you could just run URU and (plug) another engine into it, or does it have to be together?

[Crowd murmuring]

Rand: I think it is a fit together kind of thing, and some of that is, we, I mean, OK so, we planned for the future we’ve opened it up where, all of this is this weird parallel with the D'ni universe (Dunney) where we want whoever wants to be a write to be a writer, and , at the same time there is like these you know Master Writers who we like to think of ourselves as, who potentially like could make new books that we could add in that might be income producing but keeping it all together
and letting you guys write stuff that could be fun to experiment with and potential for us to stick a book in and it would be like, oh, cool, that continues the story ...it seems like a cool way to do that, so, I think we are planning on keeping things tightly tied together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:35 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I was looking forward to reading your analysis on what you think all that means, and why it was ultimately depressing. Not just a repost of what I already read. Would you care to indulge us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:52 pm 

Sorry you got the wrong impression. I had a totally different goal. Since it took me so long to read through the whole transcript to get to the relevant part, I thought I would save others the trouble, and point them straight to that section. I just noticed we joined the same day, although our respective post counts diverge. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:16 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Have you met Rusty_Russell?

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:13 am 
Obduction Backer

:D I don't get out much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:21 pm 

Thanks Stan. I read it, and now I understand. I offered to help them and didn't even get the courtesy of a response. /shrug.

I have to agree, Rand is nearly incoherent. The gibberish adds up to them keeping the servers and running them, but they will release what exactly? Some way for us to generate content for their use. So according to this Cyan is NOT actually releasing the product open source. MOUL is a client/server app. If they keep one or the other, that breaks the spirit of what they said, as far as I'm concerned.

It also appears that they are somewhat reluctant to come here and post -clearly- what they plan to do and when they plan to do it. Its a shame really, because if they had been smart enough to enlist our help, we would all be playing by now and so would a lot of other people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 am 

I'm guessing nobody locked Mr. Miller down after that second paragraph and said "okay, we get what this is supposed to be in the fantasy - but is it still open source, or not?" A shame if not.

Then again, Mysterium was always supposed to be a feel-good sort of event. In this case, I'll settle for just calling it mysterious.

I agree it seems like they're backpedaling, but not by a lot as true OS for a MMO always seemed too big to believe. I can't really say I'm sorry to hear that they want to release Ages or books "occasionally" for it, even if that's meant to be a money-making thing. I think we're all just hoping to get back into Uru proper sometime, after all.

It's also worth mentioning that there are OS "viewers" for that other MMO, which is free until you start buying their money, but they haven't given out the server code. In any case, if there's any shred of OS left in the project when it finally gets going, it looks like it'll require a security overhaul for the server, and more server-intensive operations as well. That should be manageable though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:52 am 

The best reason I can guess for Rand's incoherency is that they themselves are not entirely sure what is going to happen, and don't want to make any promises.

Just what IS Cyan doing now? Do all of their employees have day jobs? Are they doing some small project (like iMyst) to recoup money so they can get their employees back? Are they working on much of anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
Sensei wrote:
Just what IS Cyan doing now? Do all of their employees have day jobs? Are they doing some small project (like iMyst) to recoup money so they can get their employees back? Are they working on much of anything?

Cyan is working on this:

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/content/cyan-working-online-version-creative-kingdoms-magiquest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
On a different note: Cyan has been working with another company on something (slightly but completely) different. Of course, I can't reveal anything yet but hopefully something will be available late summer, this year. I know that is coming up quickly and it is taking all of our energies.
/me points upwards.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next